Which trip would *you* choose?

Dragonfly1984

So, I'm in a bit of a dilemma, and I thought maybe the helpful CC people might be able to lend a hand. We're looking at trying out HAL for the first time this coming January (2019), and I'm very stuck picking which itinerary/ship. We don't want to burn more vacation days than a 7 day trip would, so we've narrowed it down to:

1.) Eurodam out of San Diego (either 3rd or 4th week of January) to Mexican Rivera. (Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta)

Pros:  Neither of us have ever done a Mexican Rivera cruise.

Low port loads- We'd be one of two ships at one port, and the only one in the other two.

The ship looks beautiful, I'm dying to try one of HAL's hydro pools.

She has Tamarind(looks delicious), which neither of our other two options do.

It leaves from San Diego - I haven't been since I lived in LA several years ago, but my boyfriend, who I'll be traveling with, just spent a long weekend there for work in Sept. and wants to go back together                    so he can see more of the city (we'd only have about 2-2.5 days in san diego)

Cons: Travel time - It leaves from San Diego. We live in Florida. Especially flying back home will eat up a large amount of time.  

I'm not finding myself super excited by shore excursion options. I have no doubt we'd have a great time, no matter what we ended up doing, but researching it now - noting is really                    jumping out at me. (I'm assuming it might be bit chilly for snorkeling?)

Part of me thinks, we should just save San Diego for part of a bigger trip, so we have more time to explore.

2.) Oosterdam out of FTL (3rd week of January)

Pros: Fort Lauderdale is way more convenient to central Florida than San Diego. We could drive down(3.5 hours) (probably day before after work), or possibly even fly down night         before/morning of. 

Ship still has Hydro pool, and also looks beautiful.

Goes to San Juan, its only a few hours(1-11), and I've been before and really enjoyed it, but it's on BF's places-to-go-list

Goes to ST. Thomas - I would love to go back to Trunk Bay

It goes to Half Moon Cay - We really enjoyed Disney's Castaway Cay, and would love to compare that to another private island  

Cons:

No Tamarind

Except for Half Moon Cay, Every port looks like it will be a bit crowded, 5 ships in FTL for embarkation and San Juan, 4 ships in St. Thomas, and 2 ships in Grand Turk. Will that be                    problem?

Neither of us have been to Grand Turk.... it looks...ok? Im just not getting excited about it when i look at options...

We might end up having to rent a car if we choose to drive down and back, we did this last year when we flew out of FTL in January, and it wasn't a terrible hassle, but it wasn't ideal                 either.  

3.) Rotterdam out of Tampa (3rd week of January)

PROS: Tampa is way more convenient for us than Fort Lauderdale. 

We'd be able to attend Gasparilla the day before in Tampa (we've never been and really want to)

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the itinerary. (Key West, Mahogney Bay, Costa Maya, and Santo Tomas De Castilla)  

We'd have the opportunity to see some central american ruins (We went to Belize for a week last year, but never really got to any Ruins- something we both regret)

Except for Key West, Neither of us have been to any of the ports. 

First time to Guatemala and Honduras for both of us. 

*I* love the idea of a small ship.

CONS:

I'm not sure how well *he's* gonna like a small ship

No Hydro Pool. 

No Tamarind.

We'd spend slightly more on the cruise portion of this trip, because we'd probably book a Vista Suite, since no typical balconies are available. 

I'm sure there are other factors I'm not considering, and hopefully some HAL veterans can help me out :) 

a few quick other notes, if anybody cares to read:

-We'll probably end up getting the Spa Pass no matter what ship we're on. (We just got off Disney Dream in Oct, and we practically lived in the Rainforest Room, so heated stone loungers are the biggest draw for both of us)

-We're not looking for a party vibe. We're mid 30s/early 40s, and tend to go to bed almost-comically early at home, but stay up *somewhat* later on vacation 

-We can entertain ourselves. I'm happy just people/ocean watching. He's happy just playing games on his phone.

-I sometimes have anxiety when it comes to crowds. Embarkation and disembarkation at ports of call seems like it will be easiest on Rotterdam. However compared to Dream's 4000+ passengers, I'm guessing any of the ships will seem low-key. 

Thank you in advance, and sorry this is so long!

If a spa is important to you, the Rotterdam (which I love) does not have any kind of hydrotherarpy pool.  It's basically a hot tub with the thermal chairs.

Also, the Pinnacle Grill does not have windows.  it's in the interior of the ship (installed after the ship was built).

The Rotterdam does have very intriguing art work on her.  I always enjoy it.

The Vista suites are basically verandas.  There is no 'suite' aspect to them. 😉

I find the rooms larger on the R & S class ships (Rotterdam is an R class) than on the larger ships.

I should also point out that the Rotterdam does not have a sea view pool in the aft.  Some 'genius' redesigned it into a wading pool (think bird bath) with chairs in it.  The Retreat area (as it's called) still has good views though and I found the service there very good on our last cruise.

The smaller, older ships have fewer bells and whistles than the newer ones.  What they do tend to have is more character IMO and more of an "old world" fell to them.

You know your partner better than we do.  If he likes newer and more features than I'd go with the Eurodam.  If itinerary is the more important factor, then pick the one you like the best.

Eurodam does have the Tamarind and Tamarind is a very popular specialty dining spot.  Food is usually very good with lots of choices 🙂

Service on our Rotterdam cruise was very good.  It's been too long since I was on the Oosterdam to fairly comment on her.  

I’ve also love the Tamarind and the Eurodam But id go with the itinerary that you like the most and fewer ships in the ports. The Rotterdam is a majestic ship but perhaps spend the additional $ for an area in the retreat.  I’d sail her on the itinerary you mentioned. 

Edited by freestyling

Go with the one you LOVE LOVE LOVE. And closer to home and easier to get to - jet lag can put a drag on the first few days even when it is only a three hour distance to the west coast.

You picked all good cruises and did an admirable amount of homework. Not having the hydropool or Tamarind should not really be deal killers on a 7 day cruise - too many other things to also enjoy. St Thomas is always crowded because -that is what it is built for. Opt for any excursion that can get you out of St Thomas and out to St Johns Island, if you can. Or maybe that is a port where you can treat yourself to a stay-aboard spa special since they offer discounts on port days. It is fun to just have the ship to yourself (almost)  too. 

Water should be still nicely warm at Half Moon Cay while not known for great snorkeling, the water itself can be delicious before the Gulf Stream starts sending it north.  The setting is beautiful.

Rotterdam is a very nice ship- easy to get to know. We think the Pinnacle Restaurant on the Rotterdam has the more gracious layout compared to the other HAL ships,  even though there are no windows out to the sea -mainly because it is dark anyway in the evening so unless you are in the Lands of the Midnight Suns, this fully interior setting is just not a problem. Go to enjoy the dining, not for any views.

Good thing is you already now have a very good, well researched wish list for future cruises - you can get some benefits if you sign up for your next one while onboard. if you find the quiet, low key atmosphere onboard HAL ships is a good match for you two. 

Edited by OlsSalt

My choice would be the 2nd option Oosterdam out of FTL (3rd week of January). I have never sailed on that particular ship but I have been on the Westerdam which is also a vista class ship and really enjoyed it. I always get a spa pass, the hydrotherapy pool is wonderful. Grand Turk does not get me very excited, I have been there once before and I will be going there again in December. However, this time I may stay on the ship.  I think it's a great relaxation port if you want to have a beach or pool day. Or if you like snorkeling it looks like there is a fun catamaran excursion you can book via HAL. 

Deep down you probably know which one you want to take 😉  Good luck on your decision!  I'm sure it will be an awesome cruise whichever you decide on.

You give very good arguments for each of the three ships and itineraries. I can see you have quite a decision to make.

Did you notice that the Nieuw Amsterdam sails out of FLL in January?  She is the sister ship to the Eurodam and has very similar features including the Tamarind Restaurant and I agree with others, it is fabulous and popular. The itinerary is somewhat similar to the Oosterdam (I think).

Having done both Mexico and the Caribbean many times, I would choose Caribbean as the itinerary and the newest ship, but that is just me. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Another thing to consider is the cabin category you will be booking.  We like to book the Signature Suites (really a mini-suite) but the Rotterdam does not have these.  Plus, the prices for a balcony cabin (called Vista Suites) on the Rotterdam are much higher than a balcony on the other two ships.

Going all the way across the country for a 7 day cruise can be exhausting, so I wouldn't recommend San Diego, plus snorkeling in the Pacific off Mexico is not great - the water is not warm enough for reefs to form.

Look at the Nieuw Amsterdam itineraries if you want Tamarind and fancier spas.  But Osterdam is a lovely ship, I always thought her a good mix of elegant and modern.  If you are on ship tour you won't be as bothered by crowds from other ships in port.  

Rotterdam has large comfortable OV rooms with couches if you don't want to go the considerable extra money for a balcony, which are more expensive on her because there is a lower ratio of them on Rotterdam compared to new ships.... and I wouldn't recommend her for a fun-in-the-sun vacation because the aft pool is gone.   

So that brings me back to Oosterdam, or check out Nieuw Amsterdam.  

Remember, this is probably not your last cruise!  If it doesn't fulfill ALL your goals, you'll have something to look forward to next time.  And whatever you choose, go enjoy it for what it is, please don't dwell on what it may not be.  Happy planning!  m--

Edited by RMLincoln

No matter which HA ship you choose, you should have a wonderful time.  We've sailed on every ship but 2 and have enjoyed each one.  Spring for the itinerary you like best which is the Western Caribbean.  Go for a lower category cabin and book the air excursion to the ruins (runs close to $600 per person).  You won't regret it, as this experience is a once-in-a-lifetime chance.  We loved it.  It's unforgettable.

You can't go wrong with any of these ships/itineraries.  My advice: Once you decide, don't look back or second guess yourself.  Be satisfied with you choice, or you'll drive yourself crazy playing the "What If Game."

Edited by sevenseasnomad

6 hours ago, Dragonfly1984 said:

3.) Rotterdam out of Tampa (3rd week of January)

PROS: Tampa is way more convenient for us than Fort Lauderdale. 

We'd be able to attend Gasparilla the day before in Tampa (we've never been and really want to)

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the itinerary. (Key West, Mahogney Bay, Costa Maya, and Santo Tomas De Castilla)  

We'd have the opportunity to see some central american ruins (We went to Belize for a week last year, but never really got to any Ruins- something we both regret)

Except for Key West, Neither of us have been to any of the ports. 

First time to Guatemala and Honduras for both of us. 

*I* love the idea of a small ship.

CONS:

I'm not sure how well *he's* gonna like a small ship

No Hydro Pool. 

No Tamarind.

We'd spend slightly more on the cruise portion of this trip, because we'd probably book a Vista Suite, since no typical balconies are available. 

Of your three selections @Dragonfly1984 I would select Option #3 ... Rotterdam’s Western Caribbean itinerary out of Tampa. Your listed PROS significantly outnumber your CONS. 

As for Option #1 Eurodam’s Mexican Riviera out of San Diego ... meh. Unappealing ports (to us) & cold(er) ocean.

Option #2 Oosterdam’s Eastern Caribbean itinerary is good but appears to be heavily crowded in some ports.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your decision. Keep us posted!

Cheers. Dogstar. 

Edited by Dogstar
Typo correction. Stubby fingers. DYAC.

Thank you so much everyone, you've been more helpful than you could know.

After reading through everyone's suggestions, we realized the main draw of the Eurodam was actually San Diego - not the cruise itself. So we've narrowed it down to either Oosterdam or Rotterdam. Progress! 

@crystalspin I'm so sorry hear of the reason you had to cancel. I was actually originally looking for a Lanai on Rotterdam, but I guess the secret must be out on those, and I can't find any availability. However, I'm going to continue to stalk a few reservation sites, in hope that one opens up. 

We're not in a rush to book asap, so we're willing to take our chances on the hope one might become available last minute.

@RMLincoln I went to check on N.A. itineraries, but apparently shes not sailing between Jan 20-Feb 3 - our exact window of possibility lol. Does anyone know if its a dry dock or charter or something else altogether?

@skiwee I'm currently trying to sell him on an ocean view option on Rotterdam, since the price difference is more substantial there than on Oosterdam. Any suggestions/selling points you can give me? 🙂 pretty please.  He's claiming he wont cruise without a balcony- however he spent less than 10 minutes on the balcony (i kinda dragged him out there) on our last cruise, preferring to relax in the cabin than on the balcony *shrug*. I'm happy to just be on the ship, not matter what type of room.

Since the Vista "Suite" on Rotterdam, is basically just a suite in name only, do we still get double Mariner days? It does count as a suite for promotion benefits as well, correct? (i.e. extra obc under Explore4, or Amex bonus obc)

Thank you again everyone, and I apologize in advance because I foresee a lot more questions in the future (I'm a planner/researcher by nature and profession)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dragonfly1984 said:

I'm currently trying to sell him on an ocean view option on Rotterdam, since the price difference is more substantial there than on Oosterdam. Any suggestions/selling points you can give me? 🙂 pretty please. 

You can tell him the outside cabin is larger than outsides on larger ships, and there is more available deck space---in a variety of locations---for sitting outside. He will have the choice of sun/shade, port/starboard, which direction he wants to look at. A balcony doesn't give you that.

20 minutes ago, Dragonfly1984 said:

Since the Vista "Suite" on Rotterdam, is basically just a suite in name only, do we still get double Mariner days?

Yes! On the S-, R- class ships, and on the Prinsendam, the Vista balcony cabins are termed 'suites' and get the double Mariner Days (and the slightly higher HSC, too).

• Like 1

Ultimately you & your BF must decide on which itinerary & ship you book ,One experience we  have found  worth while on our  many Florida trips is that the best car rental is from SIXT ;because they have no drop off charges in  Florida . Also ,there is a free shuttle that they provide from & to the Port Everglades cruise terminal .There is no free shuttle to & from the Tampa cruise terminal . You can get the phone number from SIXT to order the shuttle when disembarking in Ft Lauderdale .We have used SIXT car rentals many times & have been very satisfied with their service :classic_biggrin: .For their phone number  just go to SIXT.com

Enjoy your vacation whichever one you select:classic_biggrin:

If you eventually decide on the San Deigo - Mexican Riviera cruise, we have done this several times because we live on the West Coast and while more low-key it still has strong appeal as an itinerary - it is easy to do all the ports on your own and they also offer some unique and interesting more outlying places  to visit as well.  Don't let prior reports about it being "uninteresting" deter you - it has some special charms but it will take a little more effort to find them.

• Like 1

For me, the ship and the itinerary are equally important.  Of your choices, I would go with the Oosterdam out of Fort Lauderdale, unless you like the Western itinerary much, much better.  I will only cruise the smaller ships if it is extremely inexpensive and port intensive.  I don't need bells and whistles, but I do enjoy a variety of venues and activities.  

FWIW, we have driven a rental from Orlando down to Fort Lauderdale on the morning of the cruise.  It is very simple, and cost effective.  

Oh, and I forgot to mention how much I love Half Moon Cay.  My 2 favorite private islands are HMC and Castaway Cay, so I think you would love it!

Edited by dznymom

13 hours ago, Dragonfly1984 said:

I was actually originally looking for a Lanai on Rotterdam, but I guess the secret must be out on those, and I can't find any availability. However, I'm going to continue to stalk a few reservation sites, in hope that one opens up. 

D-fly -- If the Lanai doesn't open up, consider an oceanview on the Lower Promenade.  Behind (and including) 3320/3321 including 3358, 3360, 3362, 2264 and 3371 are good. 3378 and 3383 if not TOO sensitive to night-time noise (under the very forward part of the galley, which seems to be storage; there are noises of carts rolling in the night). Behind 3398 on the port or 3403 on the starboard (under the dining room).

These will look out on and be steps from the promenade (biggest balcony on the ship!). Some are fully obstructed, partially obstructed, or considered not obstructed (but still have the boardwalk and railings). The prices usually reflect the obstruction level. 

We sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam (Sister ship to Eurodam) out of San Diego last spring.  We found it easier to embark.  But they were weird w/ the security.  They just bunched everyone's stuff together, and we had to sort through it.  We liked the Tamerind.   Huge disadvantage not being able to drive to the port.  But at least you don't have to worry about parking.

Port Everglade (FLL) as a hassle due to large size.  We actually had a porter lose a suitcase on disembarkation.  (Got it back a few weeks later.)   We do like the Renaissance, but they've gotten wise to passengers and hiked their rates to about double that five years ago. 

Don't know anything about Tampa, but sailed for 35 days on the Rotterdam.  No windows in the Pinnacle Grill.  Vista suites are considerable higher than OVs.  But you get double suite credit (that's if HAL's stupid computer system can finally update the Mariner points.  Still waiting for Mariner update from last month's cruise.

Lanai have doors opening to the promenade, but you'll have to share your balcony w/ many others if you're on a scenic cruise day.  On our 35-day cruise, we found the Lanai rooms almost as expensive as the Vista Suites, and we got double credit for the Vista.  I like the Terra Cotta replicas in the Explorations.  Veendam still had a good library, and there should be a good chance the Rotterdam will too.

Not sure how safe Guatemala and Honduras are these days.  We did take a shore excursion to Tikal back in 1999, and loved it.  But found it too strenuous for us.

Study the deck plans for the Rotterdam.  One deck two aft (I think) they have a door that opens to a shared balcony.  One of our roll call members booked an OV at the end of the hallway, but called that balcony her "private balcony."

Edited by knittinggirl

Seven days is a short cruise. With three or four ports, i wouldn't worry too much about amenities or lack thereof on the ship. There's just so little time to enjoy any of it. Itinerary is the most important factor for me. Given the choices I'd go with Rotterdam but as others have suggested i'd take an oceanview rather than the vista for a balcony. Spend the money you'd save there to take the trip to the ruins. Whatever you decide, enjoy your cruise!

We sailed on the Oosterdam last January out of San Diego, because it was an easy drrive from our winter home in Phoenix.  If you can get in a day ahead to stay

in San Diego, the aircraft carrier is amazing, along with the other ships in the “maritime museum”.   We enjoyed the ship,.  We weren’t that excited about the itinerary, we had done it before, and usually sail the carribean, but this time we took some ship excursions that were great.  In PV we did the catamaran to Yelapa.  Fantastic whale watching by chance, and an interesting hike to a  waterfall.  Yelapa can only be reached by boat.  In Mazatlan I went on a  “salsa and  salsa” tour while hubby went deep sea fishing.  My tour was great his not so.  We enjoyed the Mexican Riviera!

6 hours ago, sunnysask said:

We sailed on the Oosterdam last January out of San Diego, because it was an easy drrive from our winter home in Phoenix.  If you can get in a day ahead to stay

in San Diego, the aircraft carrier is amazing, along with the other ships in the “maritime museum”.   We enjoyed the ship,.  We weren’t that excited about the itinerary, we had done it before, and usually sail the carribean, but this time we took some ship excursions that were great.  In PV we did the catamaran to Yelapa.  Fantastic whale watching by chance, and an interesting hike to a  waterfall.  Yelapa can only be reached by boat.  In Mazatlan I went on a  “salsa and  salsa” tour while hubby went deep sea fishing.  My tour was great his not so.  We enjoyed the Mexican Riviera!

OP,  have you chosen which  itinerary?  Please let us know which you ultimately choose.   🙂

Just got off the Rotterdam a week ago today. She is a great little ship. Living in the TPA area the rumors are they are having trouble filling her...only 1000 psgrs last week and HAL is currently scheduled to pull out of Tampa this spring. If you get the opportunity cruise out of TPA while you can. Very easy port to navigate,esp compared to FLL.

The ports are good. Santo Tomas is a cargo port you really need to book a tour. Roatan has you isolated at Mahogany so I again I would recommend a tour. KW is easy... free Duval Loop to run around town if you desire. Costa Maya... EPCOT Mexico... get out of the village! Take the $3 pp shuttle to town if you want to hang out on the beach.

Regardless ...Have fun. We are hoping to catch her one last time before she leaves us.