What to do in Port Canaveral beside Disney

ddy123

Rent a car or take a taxi to the Brevard  Zoo.  In addition to being an awesome zoo, they have Treetop Trek, a Zipline/Challenge course that winds through the Zoo.  Different courses available for different levels/ages!  The Brevard Zoo is minutes from I-95 approximately 20-30 minutes from Port Canaveral.  www.brevardzoo.org 

Just up the road from the Zoo, you will find Viera Wetlands (aka Ritch Grissom Wetlands).  This popular site is a 200 acre birder's paradise with many species of native and migrating birds.  You can also find lots of other Florida wildlife.  Admission is free!  Just google Viera Wetlands for multiple websites with info.

9 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

I got a headache just looking at their website!  😮 

Actually a great way to end the day on Anthem.

Taco Tuesday starts at 4:00

$2.25 tacos and $2 drafts. 

3 tacos and 2 beers should do it.

Shrimp, baja fish, and steak are excellent 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pstone1 said:

Rent a car or take a taxi to the Brevard  Zoo.  In addition to being an awesome zoo, they have Treetop Trek, a Zipline/Challenge course that winds through the Zoo.  Different courses available for different levels/ages!  The Brevard Zoo is minutes from I-95 approximately 20-30 minutes from Port Canaveral.  www.brevardzoo.org 

Just up the road from the Zoo, you will find Viera Wetlands (aka Ritch Grissom Wetlands).  This popular site is a 200 acre birder's paradise with many species of native and migrating birds.  You can also find lots of other Florida wildlife.  Admission is free!  Just google Viera Wetlands for multiple websites with info.

They also have a train 😁

9 hours ago, pstone1 said:

I was just looking at this zoo yesterday and trying to find an inexpensive way to get there?  Are there any excursions that include this zoo?

Ok, well I will tell you what I did 25 years ago that was completely outside of the box. I am not saying it’s for everyone, but it was a heck of a lot more interesting than most side trips. 😉. It was actually after a combo Disney Cruise - Disney World vacation, the day we drove to the port from Orlando between the two parts of the trip (back when boarding wasn’t quite so early!). I was in the middle of a 5-year stint in grad school so we didn’t get many vacations and I was determined to make the best of it! 😄

In an old Fodor’s travel book for FL, I found that there was a town of psychics called “Camp Cassadega” that was less than an hour off our path. My education is in both abnormal human behavior and cultures and that sounded right up my alley (and it was definitely not the kind of thing that I was likely to run across again). It was October, apparently their off season (who knew psychics have an off season?!), but it was still so interesting to see the town (and that hotel is ...well... let’s call it unique 🙄). For the adventurous and curious, it is definitely something to write home about 😳

*** I just checked and it’s still there and kicking - https://www.cassadaga.org/.  Called Cassadags Spiritualist Camp these days apparently. 

Lynn

7 hours ago, amberjohn said:

I was just looking at this zoo yesterday and trying to find an inexpensive way to get there?  Are there any excursions that include this zoo?

I don't know about any excursions to Brevard Zoo, but you could also check Uber.  I can't imagine an organized Excursion would be cheaper than just renting a car for the day.  It's an easy drive - SR 528 (Beachline) to I-95 south and then just minutes off of Exit 191.

And as John mentioned, there is a zoo train and kayaking!  You can also feed the giraffes which is really cool!  

When I worked at the zoo (train driver), there was a company that tried an excursion.  It was quite $$ ... you'd save by renting a car for the day.  You can get there by bus but it will take HOURS!  UBER X gives me a cost of $48 this morning. You can usually get a car for the day for this amount. The advantage of the excursion was they blocked out times for kayak and train which is needed for a larger group ... but seldom needed for the average family.  The excursion did not include the zipline course (technically a sep' operation)

Dunno if the excursion even exists anymore. I left the gig a couple of years ago.

We took an Uber to Cocoa Beach and found a place that rented Kayaks and paddled around the Banana River area for awhile. It was actually nice and relaxing. There was a lot of dolphins hanging around back there and they'd come right up to you.

10 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Actually a great way to end the day on Anthem.

Taco Tuesday starts at 4:00

$2.25 tacos and $2 drafts. 

3 tacos and 2 beers should do it.

Shrimp, baja fish, and steak are excellent 

Found some Taco pics.

The key to ordering is as follows

1. Order a beer

2. When beer comes order two tacos

3. When tacos come order another beer

4. When beer comes order another taco.

20181023_102759.jpg

20181023_102807.jpg

Pet friendly. 😉

20180605_173738.jpg

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, mattb31 said:

We took an Uber to Cocoa Beach and found a place that rented Kayaks and paddled around the Banana River area for awhile. It was actually nice and relaxing. There was a lot of dolphins hanging around back there and they'd come right up to you.

They probably put you into the area called "Thousand Islands".  Lots of little mangrove islands and interesting tour of canal houses.  It is indeed a very popular area to kayak.  Water is calm, making for easy kayaking.  Always a lot of Dolphin and Manatees hanging around the area.  We most often see Eagles and many wading birds.  Full of wild life.  Good idea for a day tour, and close by!  🙂 

5 minutes ago, shippmates said:

Island Lady the last time we were there we did the tour of Kennedy Space Center.  If you have not been there for a long time it is an interesting day.  It had been years since we were there and we enjoyed seeing all the added displays.

And is nice when they offer the "residents" discount.  Yes, have been there many times, and they were in fact a customer of mine years ago before I retired.  I also had access to the assembly building when they were still launching the shuttle.  Having a pass to get in close during those launches was really special. 🙂   I live about 8 miles away from Kennedy.  

Edited by island lady

On 11/12/2018 at 9:18 PM, Wildcatfish said:

We love "I Dream of Yogurt" in Cocoa Beach!  Always hoping to see Jeannie & Maj. Nelson.

Usually found here during the Half Marathon in October. Sometimes during the 5K Turkey Trot as well. 

FB_IMG_1542208485733.jpg

20180908_074311.jpg

20180908_080841.jpg

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, 2Beeze said:

Ok, well I will tell you what I did 25 years ago that was completely outside of the box. I am not saying it’s for everyone, but it was a heck of a lot more interesting than most side trips. 😉. It was actually after a combo Disney Cruise - Disney World vacation, the day we drove to the port from Orlando between the two parts of the trip (back when boarding wasn’t quite so early!). I was in the middle of a 5-year stint in grad school so we didn’t get many vacations and I was determined to make the best of it! 😄

In an old Fodor’s travel book for FL, I found that there was a town of psychics called “Camp Cassadega” that was less than an hour off our path. My education is in both abnormal human behavior and cultures and that sounded right up my alley (and it was definitely not the kind of thing that I was likely to run across again). It was October, apparently their off season (who knew psychics have an off season?!), but it was still so interesting to see the town (and that hotel is ...well... let’s call it unique 🙄). For the adventurous and curious, it is definitely something to write home about 😳

*** I just checked and it’s still there and kicking - https://www.cassadaga.org/.  Called Cassadags Spiritualist Camp these days apparently. 

Lynn

We had fun in Cassadaga many years ago.  It was almost 30 years ago and one pf my predictions was right!

23 hours ago, Rogueperson said:

If you have a car rental, your world opens up.  I had access to a car at my last port stop on the Grandeur in April of this year and I ended up doing this.  http://www.zombieoutbreak.co/florida It was so much fun!!!  There are tons of stuff like this.

Also, https://www.thevoid.com/locations/orlando?gclid=CjwKCAiAiarfBRASEiwAw1tYv1rglPNfCFxnrfUB0otiloetKR2_-rnB4qAzgKGM7FFr6vqyAR_c5hoCmXsQAvD_BwE is at Disney Springs aka Downtown Disney.  You NEED to get tickets or you won't get in.  I found out about this WHILE I was in Orlando, and could not score tickets same day.  If you're a fan...

I feel like the website doesn't explain it too well. Is it sorta like an escape room, but different concept in that you have missions to solve vs escaping the room? And I suppose more virtual?

5 hours ago, smplybcause said:

I feel like the website doesn't explain it too well. Is it sorta like an escape room, but different concept in that you have missions to solve vs escaping the room? And I suppose more virtual?

Its not an escape room as there's no real thinking involved, or if there's thinking, its tactical thinking vs. puzzle solving.  You and about 3 or 4 other people make up a team.  You are given laser tag rifles that have recoil and limited ammunition (150 rounds).  You're pretty much led through what amounts to a haunted house type attraction where live actors will attack you.  There is no physical contact.  The sensor you need to hit is in the zombie's head.  The point of the game is to survive.  The zombies win by getting close enough to you to register a proximity "hit".  However, to register a proximity hit, they have to be "active" when they enter the correct proximity.  By hitting the target in the head, you "deactivate".  You are only lead through the first time, if you choose to go in subsequent times, you are on your own with no "leading".

Scoring is pretty much per hit minus "bites' which means the zombies made it into your proximity without anyone shooting it.  You "survive" by not getting any bites.

Bottom line, imagine a halloween haunted attraction where you're given a laser tag rifle where you can shoot back.  That's pretty much what is being offered here.

1 minute ago, Rogueperson said:

Its not an escape room as there's no real thinking involved, or if there's thinking, its tactical thinking vs. puzzle solving.  You and about 3 or 4 other people make up a team.  You are given laser tag rifles that have recoil and limited ammunition (150 rounds).  You're pretty much led through what amounts to a haunted house type attraction where live actors will attack you.  There is no physical contact.  The sensor you need to hit is in the zombie's head.  The point of the game is to survive.  The zombies win by getting close enough to you to register a proximity "hit".  However, to register a proximity hit, they have to be "active" when they enter the correct proximity.  By hitting the target in the head, you "deactivate".  You are only lead through the first time, if you choose to go in subsequent times, you are on your own with no "leading".

Scoring is pretty much per hit minus "bites' which means the zombies made it into your proximity without anyone shooting it.  You "survive" by not getting any bites.

Bottom line, imagine a halloween haunted attraction where you're given a laser tag rifle where you can shoot back.  That's pretty much what is being offered here.

Interesting. Wondering what on earth the website was talking about Star Wars for!!! I'll have to see if I can find it next time I'm wandering around Disney Springs.