Non-Refundable Deposit Question

I'm sorry for taking the lazy way out, but trying to find useful information on the RCI website is sometimes like trying to get oil from a waterspout.

I understand "non-refundable" means you don't get it back if you cancel.  But what, if any allowances are there?  Can you transfer the booking? Does it have to be the same ship? Same itinerary? Or is there a timeframe?  Are the deposits transferable if a guest name changes?

Not trying to highjack the thread but, I have a question along the same line. We booked a Non Refundable Deposit cabin for three people. Now it looks like one of them may not be able to go. Do we lose her deposit? Or, since we're still paying for the double occupancy, do we get the third deposit back?

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

If you change ship/date you incur a $100 penalty - you get the rest as a one year FCC. You can change names without charge as long as at least one person from original booking stays.

So, if we had a cruise six of us were taking, we're going to lose $100pp, but the rest of the deposit is good for a year as an FCC?  Can I turn around and just use it for the wife and I? Or is it an FCC that has to be used by the same number of people?

45 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

So, if we had a cruise six of us were taking, we're going to lose $100pp, but the rest of the deposit is good for a year as an FCC?  Can I turn around and just use it for the wife and I? Or is it an FCC that has to be used by the same number of people?

The FCC is issued to each individual person regardless of who paid for the cruise.

13 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

Not trying to highjack the thread but, I have a question along the same line. We booked a Non Refundable Deposit cabin for three people. Now it looks like one of them may not be able to go. Do we lose her deposit? Or, since we're still paying for the double occupancy, do we get the third deposit back?

I thought I read that if the 3rd person cancels, their deposit gets added to the outstanding balance of the other guests.

2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

I thought I read that if the 3rd person cancels, their deposit gets added to the outstanding balance of the other guests.

I thought I had read that somewhere too but I couldn't find it. I was hoping someone here might have gone through this scenario and had the answer. I'll know in 2 weeks as that's when final payment is due. I'll have the answer the next time someone asks.

On 11/13/2018 at 3:43 PM, cruiseguy1016 said:

13 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

I can confirm this. I had the same question and double-checked this information with two RC reps: If you have a non-refundable deposit and you cancel the third or fourth person they will apply 100% of the deposit to the open balance due for your cruise. They will not refund the money but you will not lose it. 

Obviously this applies before final payment, I cannot say what happens if you cancel the person after final payment, presumably you would get all of their fare refunded, including the deposit, minus a percentage depending on how far away the cruise is (although the percentages might not apply to third and fourth passengers, I think they might always be fully refundable).