Regal Princess. Tips

josephml1

2 hours ago, BigGuy25 said:

Just sayin ... we were on the Regal’s 14-day Transatlantic in September and if you arrived in the theater 20 minutes before the early show you would find only a few single seats scattered around the theater.  This was one of the very few things you would hear people grumbling about.  Every sailing is likely somewhat different, so just check it out on yours.

I was also on last week and they were arriving 45 minutes to an hour before the show. 

If you arrived 30 minutes or less it was slim pickings.  

3 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Not a dumb question at all.  There are times when Vines bar isn't staffed and Vines looks empty as in the above photo.  I would walk over to the Piazza Bar, get our drinks there and carry them back to our 'special' table in the back of Vines.  When Vines is staffed, we have had no problem getting a beer and a martini.

Thanks again - yet another neat idea !

3 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

I was also on last week and they were arriving 45 minutes to an hour before the show. 

If you arrived 30 minutes or less it was slim pickings.  

It wasn't for us, but we don't try to get close to the stage so maybe that's the difference....there were many seats open when we arrived and even when the show began closer to the back.

5 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Not a dumb question at all.  There are times when Vines bar isn't staffed and Vines looks empty as in the above photo.  I would walk over to the Piazza Bar, get our drinks there and carry them back to our 'special' table in the back of Vines.  When Vines is staffed, we have had no problem getting a beer and a martini.

When is Vines not staffed?  Fidel and Nemmo the bartenders last week began at 11AM and stayed open at least till 11PM (we didn't try after that) 

9 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

When is Vines not staffed?   

When nobody comes to serve you. 

On more than one occasion we waited at the bar for service and nobody came although we could hear activity in the room behind the bar.  I'm not about to call out for somebody back there to come out to wait on me, it is just as easy for me to go get my drink across the Piazza.  I'm not complaining, they sounded busy back there and certainly left me with the impression they were not staffing the bar and open yet.  I am not talking about waiting for service at the table, I am referencing times when I stood at the bar waiting for a bartender.  Keep in mind that I am recommending Vines as a nice spot to go when on the Regal.

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed Vines too.

6 hours ago, Daniel A said:

When nobody comes to serve you. 

On more than one occasion we waited at the bar for service and nobody came although we could hear activity in the room behind the bar.  I'm not about to call out for somebody back there to come out to wait on me, it is just as easy for me to go get my drink across the Piazza.  I'm not complaining, they sounded busy back there and certainly left me with the impression they were not staffing the bar and open yet.  I am not talking about waiting for service at the table, I am referencing times when I stood at the bar waiting for a bartender.  Keep in mind that I am recommending Vines as a nice spot to go when on the Regal.

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed Vines too.

Interestiing...we just never experienced that, but maybe we weren't there at the same time of day that you were.  All good, there are several great lounges on the Regal, Vines is our favorite because of it's location and the staff have always also been fun to talk to.  Great people watching spot.

On 11/16/2018 at 12:11 PM, Buck1949 said:

Framer - your photographs are awesome. Just curious what camera and lens you used for the eagle above the water shot?   Thanks for sharing these. 

1st I tried to send you a private message but this new system told me I was not allowed.

Nikon D810 w/70-200 AFS f/2.8 lens.  It was taken in Ketchican AK on the Deadliest Catch Tour.

Thanks for you comment.

framer

On 11/18/2018 at 6:27 AM, framer said:

1st I tried to send you a private message but this new system told me I was not allowed.

Nikon D810 w/70-200 AFS f/2.8 lens.  It was taken in Ketchican AK on the Deadliest Catch Tour.

Thanks for you comment.

framer

Thank you for the information.  I was just in Alaska in July....and took what I think are some good photos, but none compared to your eagle shot.  We were taken by a private tour guide out to an Eagle area, the name escapes me, and I got quite a few photos....but as I mentioned nothing like your shot.  It is all in the timing of being at the right place at the right time.  I was fortunate enough to be on the back patio of our hotel in Talkeetna, when a cow Moose and her two calves walked out of the woods, and I got 4 photos.... one of which I have since framed.  I use a Canon T5i, and was using a 100-400 mm lens with a monopod when I saw them.  ( I was actually trying to capture an opening through the clouds of Mt Denali (or McKinley) so was already a bit prepared).......and nope Mt. Denali did not appear at all.  

Anyway .... thanks for the answer and again.... GREAT photos !! 

PS... below my name is a link to my email address.  Not sure how to or if you can do private messages here on CC.

Edited by Buck1949

i dont know if it's 100 percent of the time but the rear of the buffet has a staffed line that makes different things to order. 

i believe for bfast they make omelets how you want. one night they had various pho type soups and i gotta say it was very good. i think maybe a mongolian one night?

On 11/15/2018 at 7:50 AM, skynight said:

Alfredo's waiter served, no charge open from 11am until late evening.

Extensive buffet, open 5am until late evening, never closes during that time. Scan entire area before making your selections.

Horizon Terrace, nice seating area.

Free, coffee from grounds, hot tea and hot chocolate in the buffet area.

Seating for shows, especially theater production shows and comics in the Vista Lounge, arrive 30 to 45 minutes early.

International Cafe nice option for cont. breakfast, lunch and any other time. No charge for food.

Crooner's late evening piano entertainment, may be good, may be not so good, depends on the entertainer.

We have been on the Regal Princess eight times and I agree with your list of favorite places.  The Horizon Court is the best buffet of all the ships.  You are correct to recommend that people walk the entire area first before grabbing a plate and starting to fill it in the first aisle.  There are hidden gems throughout and the buffet also may include the same dinner entree items that are on the MDR menu.

On my last Regal cruise, it seemed like they had a dedicated grill space on the buffet that served gyro meat everyday. WIth fresh pita! It was amazing and probably caused a bit of weight gain.  Also, I guess it depends on the cruise director at the time, but try to stay in your seats after the production shows.  People jump up and leave and don't listen to the cruise director, but I have found that some of the funniest jokes of the night come out after the shows.  And he/she could have some important info for the next day. I looked forward to Martyn Moss' jokes every night on our last Regal cruise!  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/15/2018 at 6:22 PM, geocruiser said:

The buffet is very good.  On the last sea day of our Caribbean cruises in the very back (aft) of the buffet they have a sea food bar.  Prawns, shrimp, mussels and oysters.  It is my DH favorite lunch.  

Lunch or dinner?

Here's my tip.  As soon as you get to your room, turn the TV on and let that mandatory safety video play.  It runs about 10-15 minutes and you can't watch anything else until you let that play.  It's the same info you get at the muster drill.

• Thanks 1