Escape Nov.-Booted Off

lightingafire

16 minutes ago, lshpak said:

Actually it was k-9 police Officer. 

Because of my medical condition I need to stay in the shade. We were looking to rent an umbrella or shell and they kept sending us from one place to another. Finally then we reached the end of the beach we saw many shells and umbrellas unoccupied. It turns out that shells were already sold out on the ship. They also told us that umbrellas had to be reserved on the ship as well(not true). I refuse to leave and asked to speak to a supervisor. 30 minutes later Mr. Calderaru Radu ( who is not a manager) together with K-9 police Officer appeared. They processed to scream and intimidate us. I tried to explain my situation and the only response that I got from Mr. Calderaru that if we do not leave we will get arrested. He also kept screaming “it is not about you!!!”. If it is not about me than why I am speading thousands of money? I could just stay home and the only thing I was looking for is to fund some shade in order for me to enjoy the beach. In the end the real manager showed up, we explained the whole situation and everything was resolved. 

In conclusion, ether they wanted more money (maybe they should of implied that) we would of gladly given them a nice tip or worse 

we got descreminated based on our appearance.

Appearance?  Are you African American or another minority?  Glad it worked out in the end.

10 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

We always reserve clamshells soon after boarding because they sell out, at about $35. You also get a priority tender ticket with booking it.

Umbrellas are rented on first come first served basis (as we later find out). In fact they were renting them out well after our incident. But now I learned my lesson and it will be my priority from now on to rent clamshells.

7 minutes ago, lshpak said:

No we are Jewish. What other explanation can you come up with?

I just don't know how someone knows you are Jewish.... in order to discriminate against you.  I agree it does happen.  I'm just saying if you are African American it's more obvious when something happens.

28 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I just don't know how someone knows you are Jewish.... in order to discriminate against you.  I agree it does happen.  I'm just saying if you are African American it's more obvious when something happens.

If a man is wearing a yarmulke it would be rather obvious that he's Jewish, as one obvious example.

Edited by njhorseman

57 minutes ago, lshpak said:

No we are Jewish. What other explanation can you come up with?

Um....lack of civil communication.  There's a nice way to explain the umbrellas etc are sold out, and a not as nice way.  It probably had nothing to do with appearance even if you were wearing a kippa.  Maybe we (Jewish too) are becoming ultra-sensitive.....at times I think twice about wearing a magen david.  But, saying something was "racially inspired" ends up not dealing with the real reason for "whatever"......for all ethnicities.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, April42749 said:

Um....lack of civil communication.  There's a nice way to explain the umbrellas etc are sold out, and a not as nice way.  It probably had nothing to do with appearance even if you were wearing a kippa.  Maybe we (Jewish too) are becoming ultra-sensitive.....at times I think twice about wearing a magen david.  But, saying something was "racially inspired" ends up not dealing with the real reason for "whatever"......for all ethnicities.

English is my second language. I apologize if I am not explaining clearly. Umbrellas can not be reserved on the ship it is on first come first served basis. There were many, many umbrellas available for rent even after. The only thing they had to do is to take my money and give me costomer service. They failed at both. They tried to intimidate us into leaving by bringing K-9 police Officer who threatened to arrest us if we didn’t. Is this a normal reaction over $20 umbrella rentals. Even SE manager could not explain what happened. She did apologized but a little too late. I am not making any statement in regards to discrimination, I am just wondering. My hope that this is the case of misunderstanding and this is not what NCL stands for!!! Being lied, screamed, humiliated and threatened to be arrested is not my kind of vacation.

Edited by lshpak

So, they did rent you an umbrella or perhaps even waived the cost after this unpleasant misunderstanding about how to rent an umbrella.. and you still want to bring this to "US officials" etc. You wrote:

11 hours ago, lshpak said:

we got descreminated based on our appearance.

Yet you later say:

7 hours ago, lshpak said:

I am not making any statement in regards to discrimination, I am just wondering.

I feel sorry for your bad experience but your posts here are a bit of an act, move on, life goes on. 🙂

Think of it this way: Getting into a verbal fight with NCL staff and a K9 as a Jew on a tropical private island whilst occupying an unrented umbrella didn't got you booted off the ship, that's at least one of the answers for this thread. 🙂

• Like 1

13 hours ago, lshpak said:

English is my second language. I apologize if I am not explaining clearly. Umbrellas can not be reserved on the ship it is on first come first served basis. There were many, many umbrellas available for rent even after. The only thing they had to do is to take my money and give me costomer service. They failed at both. They tried to intimidate us into leaving by bringing K-9 police Officer who threatened to arrest us if we didn’t. Is this a normal reaction over $20 umbrella rentals. Even SE manager could not explain what happened. She did apologized but a little too late. I am not making any statement in regards to discrimination, I am just wondering. My hope that this is the case of misunderstanding and this is not what NCL stands for!!! Being lied, screamed, humiliated and threatened to be arrested is not my kind of vacation.

You're explaining it well (English is my husband's 3rd language....he often has miscommunications).  The last time I was on a cruise I saw "drug sniffing dogs" by the exit (NCL Escape).  I'm not sure if the dogs were "cruise dogs" or "local dogs".  But, imho, if "they sent in the dogs", the purpose was to sniff for drugs.

Look, my husband would probably sit at a "vacant umbrella" and get befuddled about why he's asked to leave.  Luckily, he has me...the peace keeper.  However, the last thing that would cross my mind is "anti-semitism".

• Like 1

I’m really trying to figure out what happened. I assume you didn’t walk up to someone and attempt to rent an umbrella, and then be asked to wait a half hour, and then have employees come up and scream at you for no reason. Why? Passengers of all races and religions rent umbrellas on GSC every day, I’ve never read about a single similar incident on CC.

7 hours ago, FreestyleNovice said:

So, they did rent you an umbrella or perhaps even waived the cost after this unpleasant misunderstanding about how to rent an umbrella.. and you still want to bring this to "US officials" etc. You wrote:

Yet you later say:

I feel sorry for your bad experience but your posts here are a bit of an act, move on, life goes on. 🙂

Think of it this way: Getting into a verbal fight with NCL staff and a K9 as a Jew on a tropical private island whilst occupying an unrented umbrella didn't got you booted off the ship, that's at least one of the answers for this thread. 🙂

I hope you read my hole post.

We had great time!!! Great service, food and entertainment. Thank you. Yet...

On the island we were looking to RENT a shade ( medical need). Clamshells are tented on the ship and they were sold out(no problems here) but umbrellas are rented on first come first serve basis. There were planty umbrellas  available at the time, yet they refused to rent them to us. Why, I don’t know. I was just making my observations. The only person who was screaming was Mr. Calderaru (and policeman threatening to arrest us for $20 dollar umbrellas 😄).

Again, umbrellas were available for rent before, during and after we got there. Yet, they refused to take our hard earned money and lied to us that they were no longer availabIe.I am telling this story because sometimes you just have to stand up for yourself. My hope is that this is unfortunate misunderstanding and it will never happen to anyone else(especially people with medical needs). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

I’m really trying to figure out what happened. I assume you didn’t walk up to someone and attempt to rent an umbrella, and then be asked to wait a half hour, and then have employees come up and scream at you for no reason. Why? Passengers of all races and religions rent umbrellas on GSC every day, I’ve never read about a single similar incident on CC.

Actually, we walk up to beach attendants and asked to RENT a shade. They lied and said that everything was reserved. I asked to speak to the manager. 30 minutes later Mr. Calderaru showed up with police officer. Then the real manager showed up she apologized and charged us $22 for rent. They were still renting the same umbrellas well after our incident. I don’t understand why they would not take my money in the first place 🤔. Therefore I am making my observations. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lshpak said:

Actually, we walk up to beach attendants and asked to RENT a shade. They lied and said that everything was reserved. I asked to speak to the manager. 30 minutes later Mr. Calderaru showed up with police officer. Then the real manager showed up she apologized and charged us $22 for rent. They were still renting the same umbrellas well after our incident. I don’t understand why they would not take my money in the first place 🤔. Therefore I am making my observations. 

I am sorry that happened and I wonder why they wouldn't rent to you. I have dealt with lovely people on the islands and people who obviously hate Americans, it is the way it is unfortunately. The best thing you can do is just smile and pray that they find peace in their lives, I love all people, all cultures....but then I teach social studies, :).

• Thanks 1

On 11/18/2018 at 2:33 PM, electro said:

Since when do you have to pay for umbrellas on GSC? You always had to pay for clamshells but overtime I've been there umbrellas and lounge chairs were free. 

They charge us $21 for umbrella rent.

14 hours ago, lshpak said:

14 hours ago, lshpak said:

When did they start charging?

Are the lounge chairs still free?

My sister is on a cruise next week that stops in GSC, I'll let her know the umbrella are no longer free.

Edited by electro

I think I can make some sense of this.  The OP said that they were at the farthest beach.  That beach was actually closed for the day for the poker players on the cruise.  We were one of the first to arrive that morning and were told that everything on the beach(chairs, clam shells, double clam shells and umbrellas) was reserved for the poker party.  So the OP may have been on the "private" beach and therefore there was no "shade" to rent.  The clam shells and umbrellas were not all occupied for the first couple of hours, so that may have been what the OP witnessed.   Either way if the was on the "private" beach it was NCL's fault for allowing him to ever reach a chair in the first place.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, skeeter195 said:

I think I can make some sense of this.  The OP said that they were at the farthest beach.  That beach was actually closed for the day for the poker players on the cruise.  We were one of the first to arrive that morning and were told that everything on the beach(chairs, clam shells, double clam shells and umbrellas) was reserved for the poker party.  So the OP may have been on the "private" beach and therefore there was no "shade" to rent.  The clam shells and umbrellas were not all occupied for the first couple of hours, so that may have been what the OP witnessed.   Either way if the was on the "private" beach it was NCL's fault for allowing him to ever reach a chair in the first place.  

This sheds a new light on the whole thing.

• Like 1