MAKE GALLERY PICTURES OPTIONAL

57 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

You can report the pictures and the albums. 

Just like an inappropriate post.

That might be your best shot.  

Yeah, but that only eliminates that particular picture.  It doesn't opt you out of seeing the all other pictures.

Why should we be policing the pictures that people post?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

Yeah, but that only eliminates that particular picture.  It doesn't opt you out of seeing the all other pictures.

Why should we be policing the pictures that people post?

You're missing the point.  If enough people leave protest messages via the reporting tool, they might notice.  

JMHO

7 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

I thought the reporting goes to the volunteer hosts and not to the paid staff.

It does, I wouldn't recommend it as a way of getting a change made.

The Hosts can't do anything, I'm not even sure if we could delete photographs.

Just trying to help, obviously email isnt working.  I just figured the volunteers had a better line of communication to the staff.

"Hey Laura, its Bob, people are demanding an off switch for galleries, just thought you'd like to know."

😉

3 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

So how would you recommend that we put our concerns forth?  I used to browse on Cruise Critic during my lunch break, but with the photo galleries up, I can't do that anymore.   I understand if for whatever reason Cruise decided these galleries are a good thing, but we should be able to opt out somehow, or at least have the "ignore user" function work on the photo galleries as well.   Or perhaps some guidelines so that people would realize that some photos should remain private. :)

4 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

7 minutes ago, cruise kitty said:

So how would you recommend that we put our concerns forth?  I used to browse on Cruise Critic during my lunch break, but with the photo galleries up, I can't do that anymore.   I understand if for whatever reason Cruise decided these galleries are a good thing, but we should be able to opt out somehow, or at least have the "ignore user" function work on the photo galleries as well.   Or perhaps some guidelines so that people would realize that some photos should remain private. 🙂

I agree with cruise kitty.  I emailed the powers that be directly about this some time ago.  As I noted above, I have never received a reply.  What else should we do?

Look at the right hand column now -- who wants to see other people's selfies taken on their vacation?  I certainly don't.   By creating these gallery pages, CC is just feeding into the "look at me" narcissism of our culture.  These photos don't belong here.    At the very least, we should be able to opt out of seeing them.

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 1

Laura has already posted on this thread so she is well aware of the issue.

If there are individual images you find offensive please report them but using it just because you don't like the fact they are there won't achieve anything except clog our inboxes up.

28 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

If there are individual images you find offensive please report them but using it just because you don't like the fact they are there won't achieve anything except clog our inboxes up.

Sorry about that, seemed like a good idea.

40 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Unless and until CC starts responding promptly to these sorts of issues/requests I suspect you are going to have to live will clogged inboxes.

28 minutes ago, broberts said:

Unless and until CC starts responding promptly to these sorts of issues/requests I suspect you are going to have to live will clogged inboxes.

At least we should make sure that we are clogging the right inboxes. I can think of a number of reasons why we should not be using the reporting channels to resolve this problem. First, the main job of the hosts is to deal with truly inappropriate posts, harrassment, spam, advertising, etc. If we jam that inbox simply because we are annoyed by some feature, then we make it more difficult fore the hosts to do their policing. Second, the hosts are volunteers; they are members like us. They aren't paid enough to have to put up with continued harrassment by members over something that have no say in and can do nothing about.

If we are annoyed by these photos, then we need to be sending our e-mails to Laura (including samples might help). It doesn't matter if we get personal responses; it only matters that the wheel keeps squeaking until the right amount of grease has been applied and we get the option to block the photo stream.

Personally, I think the strongest argument is not one of taste but rather one of pure economics: the downloading of those photos to my mobile device eats up precious data that I pay for (unless I am on wi-fi) --and if I'm paying for it, I want the right to choose what does and does not get downloaded to my device.

Edited by Peregrina651
  • Like 2

The whole thing has become a game between a few people.  Each posts four pictures to bump the others pictures off the sidebar.  I really wish they would make viewing these pictures optional.  I have been able to block the pictures using an ad blocker, but at times I have to turn off the add blocker.  I hope Cruise Critic can deal with this issue with the next update.

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

The whole thing has become a game between a few people.  Each posts four pictures to bump the others pictures off the sidebar.  I really wish they would make viewing these pictures optional.  I have been able to block the pictures using an ad blocker, but at times I have to turn off the add blocker.  I hope Cruise Critic can deal with this issue with the next update.

No worries, enjoy the selfies. 

Just trying to help

2 hours ago, wwcruisers said:

Ugghh! Enough with the selfies, People! :classic_wacko:

Admins/mods/tech-ies -- PLEASE give us an 'off-switch' -- think you'll be surprised at how many people opt-out of this feature, if given the option to do so! :classic_dry:

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Please add my name to the list of of those who would like to be able to switch off those annoying photos. Some of them are just plain ugly!

I was bumping them out, but Mema said to stop. 😉

4 minutes ago, cruise kitty said:

Yes Dante is my gorgeous kitty,  I just know that everyone wants half their screen filled with photos of him 😉

Bella did not go over well.  😱

She was my first attempt at a gallery.  I didn't realize the repercussions.   She's still there in the Member Galleries 

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Nice spin, you know that is not what I said.  Continue with your game, I have blocked the pictures, it just doesn't block screen names.  As long as I keep the ad blocker on, I do not see the pictures.  I was just adding my support of an option for all of us to choose to block or display.  Play on.

2 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Nice spin, you know that is not what I said.  Continue with your game, I have blocked the pictures, it just doesn't block screen names.  As long as I keep the ad blocker on, I do not see the pictures.  I was just adding my support of an option for all of us to choose to block or display.  Play on.

It's exactly what you said. You're the one that called it a game.  That in itself has a negative connotation.  Let's just see how long that selfie lasts.  It takes a lot of work to clean out the que.

I have better things to do

8 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

3 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

It's exactly what you said. You're the one that called it a game.  That in itself has a negative connotation.  Let's just see how long that selfie lasts.  It takes a lot of work to clean out the que.

I have better things to do

No where in my post did I tell you to stop.  I said it was a game that was being played.  I have not looked at the selfie you are referring to, but I do know there were a bunch in the past.  

The pictures displaying in the forums is not something I enjoy and I no longer access Cruise Critic from my cellphone because of them.