Carry on only?

Bubbs33

Her women's packing list is somewhat similar to mine when I went to Antarctica but that vest is useless, in my opinion.  Also, that dull color scheme is not for me.

I do carry-on and a backpack that doubles as a foot rest on planes. I wear casual clothes in solid colors in 100% cotton only.  I always have clean underclothes but will wear outerwear more than once and/or do laundry myself but never let someone else do it. I don't wear any polyester as it feels and smells terrible to me, and might be carcinogenic.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2014/09/05/346055067/stinky-t-shirt-bacteria-love-polyester-in-a-special-way

People should pack in a way that works for them.  For me, lugging anything more than I absolutely need is an impediment to my joy of travel.  Plus, I find minimalism fun.

Edited by Bookish Angel

Tiresome, repetitive advice.  Of course it is easier to travel with just a small, light carry-on.  It is also more enjoyable to have clean underwear and socks without having to do laundry every day. Some people prefer to dress for dressier occasions, others do not care what they wear.

Cruising (or any travel) is like everything in life, you need to compromise.

Some seem to take pride in talking about how little they bring along - I like to have what I want to wear, while being able to travel easily:  it just takes thought.

• Like 1

We started to do carry on when we retired early and started to travel a fair amount.  We follow those recommendations.   We are careful to buy easy care fabrics that are light and travel well.   We each take an international size carry on roller.  Works well for us.  

The other thing we do is when we return from a trip we take note of any item that we did not use very much as well as anything that we missed.  Then make packing adjustments accordingly on our next trip.

This is hardly a pride issue for us..  It started with how much we could each independently and physically handle based on how and where we travel.   Even though we started to pass on formal nights years ago we probably would still pack a larger bag if we were only going from home/hotel to the ship and back.  This has never been the case since retiring.  Our trips have much longer land components than cruise components.  

Edited by iancal

While the idea of going with a carry on only may work for women, for most men it is a pipe dream because of different fabrics, and frankly men's clothing is simply larger. My wife can easily go in a carry on but I can't begin to fit in one for more than 3 days. For us it doesn't really matter because we always have a snorkel bag to check anyway.

We've done land vacations for up to a month with only carry ons and a messenger bag. Not difficult to do, and a boon when moving from place to place by train.

However I see no need to be so frugal (capacity wise) when cruising. Our air tickets usually include free checked luggage. So I am able to pack my larger suitcase with everything I will need for that cruise, within reason. Granted, on our longer cruises, like our upcoming one which will be over 4 weeks,  we will still need to do laundry a few times. 

A pair of shoes is EXACTLY what DW sometimes asks me to carry for her.

What were we easily able to eliminate or greatly reduce?  Shoes, electronics, cosmetics/'hair care items.  Our big haha came about when our bags were full and we still had things to pack.  We simply had to prioritize, pack with complementary, layered clothing, and leave behind anything that we would  only wear once or twice.  The only exception to that was a lightweight hooded nylon shell. 

Baggage fees are simply not part of our decision making process. In point of fact, we often have free baggage but that does not give us any impetus to change how we travel.   We sometimes leave home on an extended land trip and part way through end up snagging a last minute cruise to break up the trip.

Edited by iancal

My last cruise (7 days) was carry-on.  Upon learning the lack of a suit and would not result in being denied access to the MDR on the organized silliness known as "formal night" it was very easy to pack what I needed in one bag. 

I get it, some of the regulars on here love to say how they are able to travel for ages with carry-on only. Great, but why does it seem to turn into a competition? 

I like dressing up and choice, I handle my own bags and don't use porters. So I'm happy the minimalists enjoy travelling with carry-on only but please stop trying to guilt me as I prefer to take a bag and check it. By the way my carry-on is under 7kgs and that usually includes a fair amount of electronic equipment and a change of clothes.

• Like 3

When I read about people who only use carry-ons I reflect on how lucky I am to be able to drive to the cruise port!  For myself I usually have two suit cases, one hang up bag a carry-on for my computer etc and a purse.  Forget weight limits. For our upcoming sister's cruise I am bringing one super scrabble games with extra tiles (we use 12 tiles to play and we have 300 tiles for the game) two full size Webster dictionaries (our rule is the word must be in the specified dictionary to be playable) and a note book to keep score.   I also always bring 2 cases of ginger ale.  Along with my beach, day wear and evening clothing.  I love having choices in what I want to wear.  I do have to say I have toned down how many pairs of shoes I am now packing to about 6.  

I do love reading about carry-on travel, but I just know I will never be that person....

• Like 1

Thank you to all those who have commented. As the OP to this thread I apologize for posting the link to an article without comment or context. I am new to cruising, from Canada and not near any port for embarking. I'm researching others thoughts on packing and what is necessary, nice to have etc. I have no problem checking baggage or paying baggage fees if life will be easier with more baggage. However, I am in the planning stages of my first cruise and we're going to Alaska.  As I found this article on carry on only, I thought it might be helpful to others who are interested....no shame or guilt trip implied. There have been many perspectives shared and I hope others feel positive about sharing as well.  I love the idea of taking scrabble or board games. We usually travel with cards.

I always enjoy the comparisons of trying to transport a suitcase. People like to pretend like pulling a 40 lb suitcase on wheels for 15 minutes is like carrying it on your back as you climb Mt. Everest. The bragging is almost as bad as the "I disconnect from my phone" people.

Airline gives a a weight and size limit on my checked bags. I put in what I need. Don't what I don't need. Then I have stuff for the rest of the week. Works just fine for me.

10 hours ago, Bubbs33 said:

I'm researching others thoughts on packing and what is necessary, nice to have etc.

The only things necessary to pack are your ticket, passport, wallet, and any prescription items you might need (including glasses, contact lenses, medications, etc).  Everything else is just "nice to have", but nothing you couldn't do without if you needed to. 

I have always been of the belief that whatever anyone else chooses to pack is their business, as long as they can take care of moving it around (which might require strength or money).  Actually, that's how I feel about my packing too....no one's business but mine, as long as I"m not asking them to help me accommodate my choices.   As I've cruised, I find my bag getting lighter and lighter as I make different choices in terms of what I'm comfortable wearing on board and I'm making fewer "costume changes" from day to day.  My big experiment will be packing for a 4 week land trip in a carry-on sized rolling case and a backpack.  I made that choice because of the amount of train and bus travel I expect to do in those weeks - if it had been a 4 week cruise, I'm not sure I'd be so restrictive on myself.  And I can't promise I won't come home with an extra suitcase......it's not that I'm planning on shopping (how much in Italy will fit me anyway?), but because if I find the need for something I didn't pack (sweater, boots, etc), I'll have to buy it.

Did anyone notice that the packing lists in that link didn't include any underwear or socks?

Edited by calliopecruiser

Sigh.  It seems like the same people over and over will say that those who pack carry on only do not care what they wear or how they look.  Total BS.  

It is not a competition, no one has said that except those who do not want to carry on.  No biggie.  I pack in a carry on when I can.  I do that because I do not simply drive to a port or take a vehicle to an airport.  Sometimes, I actually check my carry on because I can (just because it is carry on legal, it does not mean that you MUST carry it on).  I do multi-modal transportation and the ability to handle my bags by myself is critical.  I stay at places that are at time inside pedestrian-only zones or are walkable from a train/bus/ship center inside 30 minutes.  I stay at hotels and apartments that have no elevators and my room is on the 3rd floor.  Light and nimble is important.  And, no, I do NOT look like a slob or someone out of People of Walmart.  I have a perfectly serviceable LBD that gets me in everywhere from a local taverna to a Michelin 3-star establishment.  As for washing, yes, I do wash clothes - it's part of my nightly ritual.  It only takes maybe 5 extra minutes and, since I'm in the bathroom already, it's not a big deal.  I've done laundry in a local lavanderia on a few stays and have met wonderful locals who have turned me on to great little places to visit or dine.    I have no desire to wear multiple outfits a day and I have no desire to dress up like I'm in the First Class dining salon of the White Star Lines, either.  I'm happy with the way I travel and dress.  Don't dismiss us.  Travel and dress as you wish.  

• Like 4

16 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

I have always been of the belief that whatever anyone else chooses to pack is their business, as long as they can take care of moving it around (which might require strength or money).  ?

I've found lack of strength and height can be a problem with carry-on.  Too many people need help getting their bags into the overhead bin. If you can't lift it check it.

Travelling with just carry-on requires a little more focus and discipline and while my preference is to not check the decision depends on location, length of the stay, planned activities, availability of laundry, anticipated weather and whether I need items not allowed into an airplane cabin. There is no sense of pride in being carry-on only or shame in checking a bag.     

Edited by K32682