RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

I sail this Saturday the 7th.  I put in a bid for upgrade from interior to balcony about 2 months ago.  Just slightly higher than min bid.  Still haven't heard as of today, the 5th.  I have seen one person in my sailing get their bid accepted from interior to ocean view.  As of a few weeks ago, those were the only rooms showing available for my sailing.  My assumption is that they are waiting to see if anyone cancels their booking within the next 2 days.  My bid still shows pending. 

On 12/1/2019 at 3:00 PM, Host Clarea said:

You are probably better off, that incremental price for the spacious balcony was pricey.

Pretty sure the ultra spacious is the big one that holds 6. They are nice

Edited by John&LaLa

On 6/30/2019 at 11:40 AM, Thorben-Hendrik said:

The strengt does not really matter that much - it is just to get you to spend more money....🙄

Yeah my lowest bids for the next category up on both Royal Caribbean and Princess would have cost me more than if I would have booked the category from the get go and I would have had my choice of room. When shopping for a cruise I now record the the price of the next category up so I can compare prices.  They know the majority aren't as O.C.D as I am and just base their decision on the $$ increase per person which can sound attractive if you don't have a clue what the price was at the time of booking.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Yeah my lowest bids for the next category up on both Royal Caribbean and Princess would have cost me more than if I would have booked the category from the get go and I would have had my choice of room. When shopping for a cruise I now record the the price of the next category up so I can compare prices.  They know the majority aren't as O.C.D as I am and just base their decision on the $$ increase per person which can sound attractive if you don't have a clue what the price was at the time of booking.

My bid is less then half of what it would cost me if I originally booked.

• Like 2

ok.. just received an email today .. 59 days out.. sailing on the Allure..need everyone's help.. what should I do? we currently have a balcony view.. so here's what they offered..

Spacious ocean view balcony $100pp

Ultra Spacious ocean view balcony $150pp

Junior Suite $200pp

Grand Suite $500pp

now we are on deck 7 aft in a balcony.. so what is the difference in the spacious balcony.. and the ultra spacious?.. and then should I  go for the junior suite?

Never had a Royalup before..

Edited by cruisegirl1976

5 minutes ago, cruisegirl1976 said:

ok.. just received an email today .. 59 days out.. sailing on the Allure..need everyone's help.. what should I do? we currently have a balcony view.. so here's what they offered..

Junior Suite $200pp

Grand Suite $500pp

now we are on deck 7 aft in a balcony.. so what is the difference in the spacious balcony.. and the ultra spacious?.. and then should I  go for the junior suite?

First I would check prices to see how much it would cost to upgrade yourself.  If you are already in an OV balcony I would NOT bid on either of the other balcony rooms.  I would bid on the Junior suite or Grand Suite if I could afford it

Edited by molly361
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, molly361 said:

First I would check prices to see how much it would cost to upgrade yourself.  If you are already in an OV balcony I would NOT bid on either of the other balcony rooms.  I would bid on the Junior suite or Grand Suite if I could afford it

ok I will check .. thanks..

7 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I checked online.. and they aren't even offering Junior Suites... so would that mean they are already sold out on them?

6 minutes ago, cruisegirl1976 said:

now we are on deck 7 aft in a balcony.. so what is the difference in the spacious balcony.. and the ultra spacious?.. and then should I for the junior suite?

Spacious balcony should just have a larger balcony but the room will stay the same.  I think these are the hump balconies on Oasis class ships.  Ultra spacious is a larger actual room.

I wouldn't bid on either of those balconies.  JS is just a bigger room overall and IMO doesn't warrant that minimum bid price, although you would get access to Coastal Kitchen for dinner which could be nice.  Still too pricey for me.

Just from a quick look at what I assume is your sailing (2/2/2020 Allure) prices per person

1268 GTY OV Balc 

2507 GS.

The GS RoyalUp for the minimum $1000 beats the price to upgrade on your own if you really want to go for it.

3 minutes ago, cruisegirl1976 said:

I checked online.. and they aren't even offering Junior Suites... so would that mean they are already sold out on them?

Possibly..but that doesn't mean you still can't win one through RoyalUp.  One of those booked JS rooms may upgrade or bid and win at any point before you cruise.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Spacious balcony should just have a larger balcony but the room will stay the same.  I think these are the hump balconies on Oasis class ships.  Ultra spacious is a larger actual room.

I wouldn't bid on either of those balconies.  JS is just a bigger room overall and IMO doesn't warrant that minimum bid price, although you would get access to Coastal Kitchen for dinner which could be nice.  Still too pricey for me.

Just from a quick look at what I assume is your sailing (2/2/2020 Allure) prices per person

1268 GTY OV Balc 

2507 GS.

The GS RoyalUp for the minimum $1000 beats the price to upgrade on your own if you really want to go for it.

yes I am on the 2/2 sailing.. and thank you for all the info.. I have never had a JS or GS before.. but I think my hubby would be mad if I spent an extra $1000 at this point..lol.. when we booked the cruise back in 2018.. we paid under a $1000.00 per person for the balcony room we have now.. but bidding on a JS .. I may think about that.. haha

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

My bid is less then half of what it would cost me if I originally booked.

I tend to book early when prices are low. For my last Anthem cruise the lowest bid would have been better than the price at the time the bid offer was received which was a month before sailing. They emailed me the offer 3 times so if I bid the lowest price I probably would have won. The price of my original room was going for $200 more per person than what I had paid over a year out.  

We received a Royal-up email last week and we are 50 days out.  Decided not to do anything as we splurged on a JS and are happy with that.  We decided we didn’t want to spend more money. We book the room that fits our budget at the time.

I’m wondering though, what was the old system like for upgrades.  We have been cruising only 10years now and never received any upgrades.  Did Royal just randomly put you in a higher category room when they had empty ones on a sailing? Was it free or very minimal?  Just curious.

2 hours ago, TinkBellaMom said:

I’m wondering though, what was the old system like for upgrades. 

There was an upsell fairy - she called, instead of this automated system, offering you a discounted upgrade. Free upgrades were much less common and just about unheard of now.

We have the superior ocean view cabin with the connecting ocean view cabin for the 7 of us.  The balcony was offered through the RoyalUp program the 2 bedroom Grand Suite.  I bid the maximum$2000 and being Diamond plus I am really hoping this will be accepted.  I bid the same day as offered.   Will this increase my odds of winning?  Also Someone told me I can't add the cabin with the grandkids and son to the 2 bed room suite. Anyone have any experience with this

5 hours ago, cruisegirl1976 said:

Junior Suite $200pp

Grand Suite $500pp

Bid on the GS. You will be hooked. 

• Like 2