smaller luggage tags?

JEMS

We just printed our luggage tags for cruise leaving in 2 weeks and noticed they are smaller than they used to be.  Also, the instructions for folding show the old patterns where the tag covers the full length of the sheet.  New ones only go a little over half the sheet.  Has anyone used these new ones?  Did they work out?  Any trouble with them being so small?

Thanks for your help,

Ed & Jean

15 minutes ago, busymomofboys said:

Some had this problem on our last cruise.  But most printed correctly  has to do with settings not a luggage tag down size.

That was my thought also...a printer setting that doesn’t print it full-size.  Mine have always filled a normal sheet of printer paper.

Mine are printing smaller as well for our upcoming cruise. Nothing has changed on my printer settings.  It's the same PDF printer I use for work.  

If I can't get them to print "correctly" I'm sure it will be fine to board with them.

Edited by jennybenny

1 hour ago, JEMS said:

We just printed our luggage tags for cruise leaving in 2 weeks and noticed they are smaller than they used to be.  Also, the instructions for folding show the old patterns where the tag covers the full length of the sheet.  New ones only go a little over half the sheet.  Has anyone used these new ones?  Did they work out?  Any trouble with them being so small?

Thanks for your help,

Ed & Jean

I see what you mean now. Yes, they have been smaller for quite a while now. Maybe a year or two? The printing used to go all the way to the top and bottom of the page. So you stapled it right at the bottom edge. Now it gets stapled a bit higher up. It makes them narrower when folded and a shorter "loop" when stapled. They work out just fine this way. For those wanting to see what they are talking about, here is the newer, smaller size, with the older size shown on the direction portion:

thumbnail (3).jpg

Edited by idahospud

there is a setting in some print dialogs, something along the lines of "shrink to fit," "set margins," or "print actual size"  it can be labeled differently depending on context, but that could be why the tags are printing a little smaller

I also had this problem, but changed browsers from Chrome to Firefox and they printed normal full-page size.  So I suspect it has something to do with the browser setting or cache.  In the past, problems with the Princess website have been fixed by clearing out the cache on Chrome -- I didn't try that this time, but bet it would solve the problem.

I just printed out my luggage tags, and they printed out only 6.5 inches long.  I will still fold the pages in thirds and staple the tags on as if the printing took the entire 11 inch long page.  The cabin number can be read easily, and that would have been my only concern.

When I printed out the tags for our cruise last month the tags came out in full page format.  While you may not have changed your printer settings, updates to our operating system, adobe updates etc can and will change the defaults that you may have been using.  Now days with computers always connected to the internet, the software will update itself without your knowing about it. Check your printer and adobe settings.  We too use the plastic holders which is so much nicer and comes with a metal attachment to the suitcase with even the gorillas on the pier and in the ship have not been able to destroy (so far!).  

We sail Saturday and I didn't like the stubby luggage tags that don't fit my holder.  So I searched here and learned that I'm not alone.  I tried the suggestion to use a different web browser and I now have proper luggage tags that don't look stupid. 

First world problems...

Edited by GottaLuvCruising

• 1 month later...
On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 7:29 PM, JEMS said:

Thanks everyone for your responses.  We sailed in January with no problem printing the usual size tags.

Ed & Jean

Were you able to print the tags from a PDF file?  My tags are only opening on a web page and not a PDF anymore.

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

Were you able to print the tags from a PDF file?  My tags are only opening on a web page and not a PDF anymore.

I open mine then select "print to pdf" within the printer dialog. That gives me a pdf file I can save and which opens in Acrobat and prints out the proper size. Very simple to do.

My first printing attempt also resulted in a smaller tag, but I adjusted the sizing in the 'scale' box on the printer instruction page and got the full size print.   My printer 'scale' default is 'shrink to fit' but changing it to '100%' worked.    

On December 10, 2018 at 2:04 PM, GottaLuvCruising said:

We sail Saturday and I didn't like the stubby luggage tags that don't fit my holder.  So I searched here and learned that I'm not alone.  I tried the suggestion to use a different web browser and I now have proper luggage tags that don't look stupid. 

First world problems...

Yes, I agree about the browser.  Last cruise, using my old old laptop, with Internet Explorer, I got the smaller luggage tags.   This cruise, switching to AOL Shield, I got the larger tags.  The smaller ones worked fine, though.  That is, my bags made it to my room AOK.  

3 hours ago, Cruiserkenn said:

Yes, I agree about the browser.  Last cruise, using my old old laptop, with Internet Explorer, I got the smaller luggage tags.   This cruise, switching to AOL Shield, I got the larger tags.  The smaller ones worked fine, though.  That is, my bags made it to my room AOK.  

I printed luggage tags just a couple days ago for two upcoming cruises.  On the printer screen I changed the setting from "fit to page" to "100%" and luggage tags printed correctly (print page one only.)  

2019-01-21 (1).png

Edited by GottaLuvCruising

1 hour ago, GottaLuvCruising said:

I printed luggage tags just a couple days ago for two upcoming cruises.  On the printer screen I changed the setting from "fit to page" to "100%" and luggage tags printed correctly (print page one only.)  

2019-01-21 (1).png

I found I had to make the same change the last time I printed tags. It had never happened to me before, in 14 years of cruising with Princess, and have no idea what caused the change to my settings because I sure didn't do it.

• Like 1

Hello,  I just finished printing my luggage tags.  My printer defaulted to shrink to size; so I changed it to print at 100%.  Then I trimmed the paper tags and put them in my plastic holders.  By printing at 100% verses shrink to page size; my name, cabin and deck number are a lot larger.  This should make it easier for the porters to see when they load my luggage and deliver to my cabin.