Crew eating in guest areas?

kurtp13

I keep seeing trip reports where people mention crowded dining areas and saying the crew is eating and using some of the area.  I dont remember the crew eating in public areas at all.   Maybe officers but I don't even have specific memory of them eating in public areas. Except the captain in a speciality restaurant,  I do remember that.     Don't the crew normally dine in crew specific areas?   

4 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Officers can use guest areas including dining,crew cannot.  All entertainers are considered officers.  We see entertainers eating in specialty restaurants quite often.

I generally dont see staff in the WJ until the last hour or so.  I've also seen shop personnel and Steiner girls

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Ask a crew member.  Surprised you've never heard it before. It might be a wee bit dated, but I doubt it.

image.png.2804816994b9f442f4c232391b3fd78a.png

I am not reading anyone else's words.  I'm reading yours, and they are not appropriate.  Please enter the 21st century.

1 minute ago, Merion_Mom said:

I am not reading anyone else's words.  I'm reading yours, and they are not appropriate.  Please enter the 21st century.

Usage for adults

The word girl is sometimes used to refer to an adult female, usually a younger one. This usage may be considered derogatory or disrespectful in professional or other formal contexts, just as the term boy can be considered disparaging when applied to an adult man. Hence, this usage is often deprecative.[1] It can also be used deprecatively when used to discriminate against children ("you're just a girl"). However, girl can also be a professional designation for a woman employed as a model or other public feminine representative such as a showgirl, and in such cases is not generally considered derogatory.

In casual context, the word has positive uses, as evidenced by its use in titles of popular music. It has been used playfully for people acting in an energetic fashion (Canadian singer Nelly Furtado's "Promiscuous Girl") or as a way of unifying women of all ages on the basis of their once having been girls (American country singer Martina McBride's "This One's for the Girls"). These positive uses mean gender rather than age.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Usage for adults

The word girl is sometimes used to refer to an adult female, usually a younger one. This usage may be considered derogatory or disrespectful in professional or other formal contexts, just as the term boy can be considered disparaging when applied to an adult man. Hence, this usage is often deprecative.[1] It can also be used deprecatively when used to discriminate against children ("you're just a girl"). However, girl can also be a professional designation for a woman employed as a model or other public feminine representative such as a showgirl, and in such cases is not generally considered derogatory.

In casual context, the word has positive uses, as evidenced by its use in titles of popular music. It has been used playfully for people acting in an energetic fashion (Canadian singer Nelly Furtado's "Promiscuous Girl") or as a way of unifying women of all ages on the basis of their once having been girls (American country singer Martina McBride's "This One's for the Girls"). These positive uses mean gender rather than age.

Methinks thou doth protest too much.

6 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Usage for adults

Girls, Girls, Girls!   (Elvis the pelvis)

2 hours ago, Nado44 said:

Slightly off the point. As a pax, I'd personally love to eat in the crew areas instead of the WJ or MDR. And get to know the folks there.

A recent cruise (it was either Brilliance or Oasis ) offered a crew area tour for a fee. I think around $50. 

M

2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Officers of 2.5 stripes and above are allowed to use guest facilities, restaurants, gym, etc.

I saw a spreadsheet in an infirmary showing crew benefits based on stripes.  I think I took a picture of it.  They may have to pay to eat in guest venues if they are lower status levels.

It also described cabin type and how they can bring guests

Edited by John&LaLa

We were in Izumi on the last night of a cruise and a large group of entertainment staff (8-12) came in for dinner.  The problem with this, as with any restaurant, a large party can slow down the service/kitchen.  Good thing we got our order in prior to them showing up.  

Normally in the WJ, I only see staff in the final hour when it's nearly dead.

10 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Usage for adults

(Off topic) Is there a source/reference for these definitions or are they an opinion? :classic_smile:

Edited by Cruisercl
Typo