Horizon Court Royal Class vs Grand Class

jamesnnb

You can't beat the buffet on the Royal and Regal.

From the size and layout you have to reconnoiter all the aisles before you choose your foods.

In the morning in the back row they have two omelette stations.

Their salad bar items are varied and excellent.

Plenty of nuts, cheese and breads to choose.

They have a pasta station each night.

Won't leave hungry.

• Like 1

The Royal has a very large buffet with lots of selections in different sections. Scope out the entire buffet area before making your choices. Also the layout is different, the serving lines are in the center and are accessed from seating areas on both sides. There isn't a single and entrance and exit. There are wash basins at the entrances to wash your hands before you enter.

The difference is night and day. The Royal Class Horizon Court and Horizon Bistro is the Grand Class buffet on steroids. Huge, massive, 2-3x the options, much better layout, etc. With the layout, there’s a chef behind each station which means constant refreshing rather than containers running out and staff having to go back to the kitchen for more. Far more freshly prepared options, made-to-order, large salad bars, taco bar, etc. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, jamesnnb said:

We'll be sailing on the Royal Princess next year and wondered about the buffet on the Grand Class (which we have sailed numerous times) vs the buffet on the Royal Class. Pros & Cons.

I agree........like Night and Day.

The buffet on the Royal Regal and Majestic is awesome.

You will be spoiled.

7 hours ago, Pam in CA said:

The difference is night and day. The Royal Class Horizon Court and Horizon Bistro is the Grand Class buffet on steroids. Huge, massive, 2-3x the options, much better layout, etc. With the layout, there’s a chef behind each station which means constant refreshing rather than containers running out and staff having to go back to the kitchen for more. Far more freshly prepared options, made-to-order, large salad bars, taco bar, etc. 

Pam is right I totally agree with her. 👍

Tony

• Like 2

Interesting, but no one is giving details on the buffet aboard, say, the Grand Princess.  What everyone mentioned about the Royal class buffets (size!) is a very big turnoff to me. I do not like the huge spreadout of the buffet on the Royal.  Does this mean that I might like the buffet on the Grand?

Pooh 

14 minutes ago, PoohUnderstands said:

Interesting, but no one is giving details on the buffet aboard, say, the Grand Princess.  What everyone mentioned about the Royal class buffets (size!) is a very big turnoff to me. I do not like the huge spreadout of the buffet on the Royal.  Does this mean that I might like the buffet on the Grand?

Pooh 

it's not about the size, but about the variety. The variety and quality are so much better on Regal/Royal....

• Like 1

Yes, the Royal/Regal buffet is much larger (more offerings) and open than on the grand-class ships, where the food lines are essentially in their own room, which makes for a lot of crowding during peak times.  That said, I often found the "hot" food rather lukewarm (heat lamps not strong enough?) on the Royal (haven't been on Regal).

3 hours ago, PoohUnderstands said:

Pooh 

That is because the OP's question was about the Royal Princess. The OP already has information regarding the Grand Princess, and mentions same.

The Grand Princess does not have the same variety of selections as the Royal Class ships, access is more restricted with an in and out and two separate sides, it's tighter around the serving lines, no extra Cafe Caribe space like on the Super Grand ships, less seating, limited outdoor seating, but of course less passengers. There is some seating in the indoor pool area. 

I'm sure you will find something you enjoy on the Grand, but there really is no comparison to the Royal Class' World Fresh Marketplace. 

• Like 1

On 12/13/2018 at 5:09 PM, rkacruiser said:

What's the difference between the Horizon Court and the Horizon Bistro?

Just different offerings for the buffet.  The Bistro is more geared towards like going to a deli, with sandwiches, soups, salad, etc.  The Court has more of the mashed potatoes, different stews, casseroles, veggies, etc. like a full entree location.  They are next to each other and just look like one big buffet area.  So really no difference to speak of.  The decor is different (but very similar)in each section also.  The dessert area divides the Bistro and the Court.

Pooh

• Like 1

The buffet on the Royal is very similar to Celebrity's and the Cunard newer ships.  If you are impressed with a lot of food you will love it.  For us, we know what we like and simply look for that and go with it.  Only difference is it takes long to find what we want on the Royal.  Bigger is not always better, I am sure we are in the minority.   

We are just as happy with room service for Breakfast and sometimes use it for lunch.  Love the Fish and Chips when it is available. 

The Royal Princess has a much larger buffet space than the Grand or Ruby class ships.

One thing special is the line towards the rear of the ship in the buffet area.  This is where they have not only the breakfast omelet stations, but for lunch and many dinners there is an ethnic offering (chinese, asian, bavarian, mongolian BBQ).   This line is, however closed for the nights they have the seafood pay for the food offering. 

The next general line forward has offerings similar to those on the Grand.

I must disagree with one comment.  The food, with rare exception of veggies, is hot.  I think there is a better design of the buffet heating than on older ships.

For our two cruises on the Royal Princess, we decided to eat most nights in the Horizon Court, and loved it.   But don't forget Alfredo's downstairs for something different. 

We sail different Princess ships mainly for the food experience & having been on most of the Princess ships over the years, the Royal class beats them all.

After our recent experience in the World Class buffet on the CB, I doubt if we'll even return again and stick with the Royal from here on out. Not only are the selections in the buffet much better on the Royal but the preparation & presentation are heads above them all.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2018 at 3:24 PM, jamesnnb said:

We'll be sailing on the Royal Princess next year and wondered about the buffet on the Grand Class (which we have sailed numerous times) vs the buffet on the Royal Class. Pros & Cons.

We'll be sailing on Royal Princess in a few days for the first time.  Please, what is "the buffet on the Grand Class".  Is this for suites or everyone?

Also, someone mentioned "pastry shop".  Is that part of the buffet?

4 hours ago, tampadee said:

We'll be sailing on Royal Princess in a few days for the first time.  Please, what is "the buffet on the Grand Class".  Is this for suites or everyone?

Also, someone mentioned "pastry shop".  Is that part of the buffet?

Grand Class simply refers to a class of ships which includes the Grand, Star, Golden, etc.  Royal Class are the newer ships - Royal, Regal, and Majestic.

The pastry shop is a separate aisle that has nothing but pastries, cakes, and cookies.  In terms of layout, there's the largest section of the buffet which has two separate aisles which has most of the hot foods plus a walkthrough section in the middle with salads connecting the two.  Next to that is the pastry shop which is a totally different section and is open during breakfast, lunch and dinner.  And next to that is Horizon Bistro which is only open during breakfast and lunch and has a smaller selection of foods.  Love the Bistro for lunch as the sides of it have fresh grilled veggies and gyros, while the taco / fajita bar, soup and sandwich station are all in the middle.  We like the buffet options on the Royal Class ships so much that we rarely go to the main dining room.

Edited by azbirdmom
  • Like 1