RCCL Doesn't Care

We booked our Spring Break family vacation on Oasis of the Seas in April of this year for the March 31, 2019 sailing.  RCCL cancelled our cruise for ship maintenance and left us with very few alternatives.  One choice was select a sailing on another week in March or April which we couldn't even consider unless we were willing to take our three kids out of school for a week which is frowned upon by the State.  Don't need DFCS showing up on my doorstep.  The next was to book for the same week on either Allure or Rhapsody.  Allure is the same class of ship so we jumped on that right away only to learn there were no rooms available that could accommodate our family.  That left Rhapsody, a ship half the size of Oasis with much fewer amenities and we weren't inclined to change to this ship for the same money we paid to sail on Oasis.  Spoke to the executive team at RCCL and asked if they would put us on Harmony for the same week but they said it was a bigger ship, more amenities, etc. than Oasis and they would have to charge us prevailing rates which would be an additional $2300.  They had no problem dropping us a class of ships but weren't willing to go up in class for their cancellation.  We have since booked on Norwegian Cruise Lines Getaway ship for the March 31, 2019 sailing.  I am very disappointed with the attitude I received from the RCCL team and this starts at the top with their CEO Michael Bayley.  He has lost touch with his guests! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We are also locked into one specific week for cruising with the family and I would be very upset about this. This is the reason we have ended up on Carnival ships so many times. Seems like they are often the only available option for our week.

For those of you who are thinking that they should just take the kids out of school. Our school district refers all cases to the county and you must go see a judge after six absences in a school year. Does not matter that your child is a straight A student as mine is or what they missed that time for unless they have a Dr's note. I have yet to find a doctor who will issue notes for cruises, but I am still looking. 

Kind of rubs me the wrong way. You are paying top dollar to travel on Presidents weekend, Spring Break, Easter Week.  The industry increases all the rates during school breaks.  Not only the cruise but also airfare and hotels.  Also, I don't think anyone should have any say if I choose to occasionally take my kid out of school.  They learn a lot more than sitting behind some desk.  And with a little extra effort, they can catch up on their school work.  Even if they bring some with them.  There is a lot to be said about seeing new cultures, new places, experiencing life that a classroom does not compare. 

Did you get a full refund from RCCL?  You will have a great time on NCL.  The time spent together making memories will be priceless!!!  The kids may not see that now but they will remember forever....

• Like 1

Seems Royal is doing something similar with Allure in 2020. 

It must be some maint required before TA to drydock. I’m guessing that it has to do with timing. Mostly the weather. So OAS and Allure can spend the Summer in Europe. 

There are two months on Spring Breaks, maybe more, depending upon your locality. 

The upgrade to Harmony is minimal compared to the downgrade you would have gotten on Rhapsody. They wanted you to pay more for the upgrade to Harmony, how much of a refund were they offering you to downgrade to Rhapsody? I think already know the answer to my question.

Edited by cruiseguy1016
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Mikew0805 said:

LOL @ Harmony being a "higher class."

it's the exact same ship with some slides, and a little more technology. Certainly nothing that warrants not honoring the price on the same week. 

I agree, they should be offering Harmony as an equal swap. There is no way in hell I would ever accept Rhapsody as an equal swap from Oasis - on what planet does RCI think this is ok or even remotely fair? Someone at corporate is out to lunch on this decision and I do not blame the OP for canceling and switching cruise lines. This is total BS.:classic_angry:

• Like 6

6 hours ago, CruiseDawg18 said:

We booked our Spring Break family vacation on Oasis of the Seas in April of this year for the March 31, 2019 sailing.  RCCL cancelled our cruise for ship maintenance and left us with very few alternatives.  One choice was select a sailing on another week in March or April which we couldn't even consider unless we were willing to take our three kids out of school for a week which is frowned upon by the State.  Don't need DFCS showing up on my doorstep.  The next was to book for the same week on either Allure or Rhapsody.  Allure is the same class of ship so we jumped on that right away only to learn there were no rooms available that could accommodate our family.  That left Rhapsody, a ship half the size of Oasis with much fewer amenities and we weren't inclined to change to this ship for the same money we paid to sail on Oasis.  Spoke to the executive team at RCCL and asked if they would put us on Harmony for the same week but they said it was a bigger ship, more amenities, etc. than Oasis and they would have to charge us prevailing rates which would be an additional $2300.  They had no problem dropping us a class of ships but weren't willing to go up in class for their cancellation.  We have since booked on Norwegian Cruise Lines Getaway ship for the March 31, 2019 sailing.  I am very disappointed with the attitude I received from the RCCL team and this starts at the top with their CEO Michael Bayley.  He has lost touch with his guests! 

RCCL is all about money....not service!:classic_rolleyes:

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

As long as they are sailing full and reporting record profits, any complaints they get fall on deaf ears. It makes no sense to complain about something yet still buy their product.

I am grateful that the EU makes them PAY when they do stuff like that - to EU passengers!👍

We're on the April 7 2019 Oasis cruise, right after the now cancelled March 31, 2019.  I'm wondering if that cruise is in jeopardy? I could change to anything and not married to the week but wondering if whatever's going on March 31 will influence April 7..

3 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

As long as they are sailing full and reporting record profits, any complaints they get fall on deaf ears. It makes no sense to complain about something yet still buy their product.

Right... I am booked through next year as it is, which is fine. However, I just got off the Carnival Horizon and had the best time I have had on any of my cruises in the last three years.  Don't get me wrong, I like Royal but will be considering CCL, especially the newer ships, for all my future cruises. 

That’s messed up that’s your county is so strict about school absences, specially for trip related ones. We sailed over Thanksgiving and I asked my son’s teacher if there would be repercussions if we got the kids out of school two days early (we were flying to Rome few days prior to the cruise for a little pre cruise land stay). She said no and that it would be counted as an excused absence since it was an educational/cultural experience. I wasn’t expecting that but I was pleasantly surprised about it. She even had my son talk about his experience in front of the classroom upon our return. I wish that your experience were different. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, The Sunset Glow said:

I agree, they should be offering Harmony as an equal swap. There is no way in hell I would ever accept Rhapsody as an equal swap from Oasis - on what planet does RCI think this is ok or even remotely fair? Someone at corporate is out to lunch on this decision and I do not blame the OP for canceling and switching cruise lines. This is total BS.:classic_angry:

I completely agree!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tapi said:

That’s messed up that’s your county is so strict about school absences, specially for trip related ones. We sailed over Thanksgiving and I asked my son’s teacher if there would be repercussions if we got the kids out of school two days early (we were flying to Rome few days prior to the cruise for a little pre cruise land stay). She said no and that it would be counted as an excused absence since it was an educational/cultural experience. I wasn’t expecting that but I was pleasantly surprised about it. She even had my son talk about his experience in front of the classroom upon our return. I wish that your experience were different. 

I think you mean their school district. I had one of my kids miss 10 days of HS (all honors/AP classes) to travel overseas (2 separate trips). As long as she made of the work, she was fine.