Is Specialty Dining Goin' Beggin'???

5 hours ago, L454S said:

Not much of a perk anymore to get the D+ BOGO.  Heck, halfway through a 16 day sailing, I get a BOGO's offered to me for any evening I want. Honestly, that is all I think they are worth. The MDR is fine with us.

That was my question. I've never stopped to talk to the hawkers in the hallway - are they offering discount prices.  Thanks.

We enjoyed Chefs table 2 weeks ago.  However we paid full price and others at the table  got a big discount.  Soooo we won’t ever buy ahead again and will just see what kind of deal we can get in the future.  

We also ate at Giovanni’s and while it was good the service and was food wasn’t as good as previous cruises.  We won’t pay full price again for any speciality restaurant.  Royal might do better to just lower the prices to start with.  The MDR was adequate food with great service from our waiter and we’d be just as happy there.

Must not feed the troll... sigh.  Here it goes. 

Cool story about your insurance.  As we know, everything we read on the internet is true. 

I do not know why it bothers you that people like to spend money on different things.   I don't have the time or inclination to post 30 times on this board in the last 24 hours alone (wow.)...I haven't posted that much in the last 10 years I've subscribed to this website lol. 

I guess you feel like I am stupid for spending my money on something I like.  Or that RCI is somehow getting one over on me - I don't know why me stating that $300 is worth it to me and why ruffles your feathers.  I don't pay rack rate at these places and for reasons stated earlier, I enjoy them.  

So many of these posts come down to "STOP liking what I don't like!"  

I do find a huge difference in quality, ambiance, presentation and service at the specialty restaurants.  I can't say I would ever eat dinner in the Windjammer but my business partner did every night on their last cruise.   

I hope you enjoy eating wherever you choose to on your next trip, whether that be a 20 oz porterhouse at chops or a hotdog at the windjammer. 

13 hours ago, NouCruzer said:

But much more expensive, even if it's still available...

Related to the thread, Chops and 150C were crowded on our Oasis cruise in early November.  Maybe because there was at least three wedding parties on board that week.

Boom...flew right over the head.  😉 😄 

2 minutes ago, stringbean10 said:

I guess you feel like I am stupid for spending my money on something I like.  Or that RCI is somehow getting one over on me - I don't know why me stating that $300 is worth it to me and why ruffles your feathers. 

It was simply a statement in fact that RCI loves all who spend on extras on the ship - that's how they make most of their profit - they make very little on the cabin price. No feathers ruffled at all and everyone sees some value behind spending their money, otherwise they wouldn't. 

Biker, who usually sticks to just factual posts and rarely has any meaning behind them.

• Like 2

And we all know that spending money on a cruise is a necessity of course.  😉  Want to save money on meals...eat at home. 

Me...bring on the fine dining of any kind on the ship, even if it is not as "fine" as some would like. I did not have to shop for it, cook it, serve it, or clean up after it.   Or...hear any complaints from "he who must be served" about some of my cooking at home.  😄 

Edited by island lady

Any meal I don't have to cook or clean is a win in my book.  LOL!  We prefer the MDR for dinner though.  We have done specialty dining before but was never enough for us to go back at dinner.  Didn't think the food or service were any different than we received in the MDR.  Lunch though is a different story.  We have enjoyed specialty dining for lunch and would go back again.  To each their own though...

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

RCI loves you.

"It was simply a statement in fact that RCI loves all who spend on extras on the ship"

Nope. This post did have meaning and is not just 'factual.'  It is a loaded statement. 

"RCI loves all who spend on extras on the ship"

I guess that means that they probably love you too!

Cool. It is a business. I guess that means that they probably love you too!  As island lady stated, most people spend money on cruises. 

Instead of post after post and thread after thread of how RCI is trying to 'get us' or complaining about 'decline' or 'fake sales.'  I was offering my opinion as to why someone might use or enjoy the specialty restaurants. 

I also wanted to post pricing because that is sorely lacking on this site. 

I love to know what people paid and what they find worth it.  I am able to be a better-informed consumer with that information.  I know what is a 'deal' on the restaurants and if it is worth it to me.  I know I can get the ultimate beverage package cheaper because others have but I have locked in a price that makes sense to me.  If I find it is cheaper, I can cancel and rebuy it at a lower price. 

So instead of snarky one-liners,  I attempted to add real value to the discussion. 

I like this community and have learned a lot from it over the years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, stringbean10 said:

"It was simply a statement in fact that RCI loves all who spend on extras on the ship"

Nope. This post did have meaning and is not just 'factual.'  It is a loaded statement. 

I guess that means that they probably love you too!

You take it anyway you want.

Nope, very much doubt RCI loves me that much, financially speaking - but probably appreciates me as a loyal cruiser.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 3

On 12/17/2018 at 9:13 AM, Host Clarea said:

I think it's just Royal wanting cash sooner.

It’s not just they may want cash sooner,  before cruise.  But when staff from the specialty restaurants are out around ship openingly hustling guests to please eat at restaurants at nice discount prices , the concept is failing . It’s seems to happen a lot in our experience. 

Edited by ssb

Please stop pretending your statement was an 'innocent statement of fact.' 

It wasn't - when I turned it around on you with regards to your motorcycle insurance you felt the need to defend yourself.  Trolling cruise forums stating with the comments like that is neither helpful or productive.  In fact, it's rather like arguing on the internet.  I am done.   

To reiterate I LOOOOVVVEEE the specialty restaurants and will continue to choose to eat there.  I will catch them on 'sale' or as part of a package. 

Is the concept of speciality restaurants 'failing'?  Doubt it.  I am sure they have run the numbers and that is why they continue to build those venues on new ships.  Wouldn't it be strange to have a new mass market mega ship built with only a dining room? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stringbean10 said:

Please stop pretending your statement was an 'innocent statement of fact.' 

It wasn't - when I turned it around on you with regards to your motorcycle insurance you felt the need to defend yourself.  Trolling cruise forums stating with the comments like that is neither helpful or productive.  In fact, it's rather like arguing on the internet.  I am done.   

To reiterate I LOOOOVVVEEE the specialty restaurants and will continue to choose to eat there.  I will catch them on 'sale' or as part of a package. 

Is the concept of speciality restaurants 'failing'?  Doubt it.  I am sure they have run the numbers and that is why they continue to build those venues on new ships.  Wouldn't it be strange to have a new mass market mega ship built with only a dining room? 

You should join in more often...only 19 posts over the last 8 years?  :classic_huh:  Biker may have a rather quirky personality...but I like him. 🙂  He is quite active on these threads and always fun to read his posts.  He is not a bad guy.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 3

While speciality dining was never itself mentioned, our main waiter said on several occasions on our IOTS cruise last month that the dining room options were "very poor tonight". Which, to be honest, they were.

However, considering we've already paid for full board, I feel the speciality dining is price higher than I'd like to pay, and as such I have never yet tried it.

I'd tend to broadly agree with bonsai3s's comments myself.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BillieJeanKaraokeKing said:

While speciality dining was never itself mentioned, our main waiter said on several occasions on our IOTS cruise last month that the dining room options were "very poor tonight". Which, to be honest, they were.

However, considering we've already paid for full board, I feel the speciality dining is price higher than I'd like to pay, and as such I have never yet tried it.

I'd tend to broadly agree with bonsai3s's comments myself.

Try it - you might like it!

I'd love it if someone else who feels the specialty dining is significantly better would chime in...

On Oasis or Allure, walking through the park and stopping at the restaurants makes for a lovely evening.  It is such a different experience than the cattle call that is the MDR.  I feel really pampered at the specialty restaurants. 

"The ingredients are close to what they would have bought anyway for the MDR, same with the staff" - Ingredients are 'close'?

What does that mean?  A steak is a steak is a steak?   Not to me.  The steak I had at Chops was significantly better than the one I ordered in the MDR. 

I know Izumi is run completely differently than the other restaurants.  Is there sushi grade fish in the MDR?  Genuinely curious. 

Same staff?  Can anyone confirm this?  I am curious because it appeared to be the same staff in the speciality restaurants every night instead of rotating people in and out of the MDR.  The staff also appeared to be a cut above - I mean wouldn't you send your best to serve all the fancy starclass folks that eat there "free?"  

Do they use the same kitchen as the MDR?  I don't know - after a few minutes of googlefu I still couldn't find the answer.   It seems like the meals are made to order and not sitting under a heat lamp in order to feed the masses.  That is a big difference.  

Not trying to put down the MDR workers or experience. 

As for posting often, this is a topic I am interested in and felt like I could add value.  I am always surprised the specialty restaurants aren't consistently packed - they feel like a crazy secret and bargain.  Again - people drop $60 at bingo without even thinking about it - for 2 bingo games I get 7 fantastic dinners and 3 wonderful lunches.   It is hard to quantify but I would say the specialty restaurant experience is 10-20x better than the MDR. 

3 hours ago, ssb said:

It’s not just they may want cash sooner,  before cruise.  But when staff from the specialty restaurants are out around ship openingly hustling guests to please eat at restaurants at nice discount prices , the concept is failing . It’s seems to happen a lot in our experience. 

And it isn't just on Royal either...  Staff was doing the same thing on our Celebrity cruise earlier this year.  They came and interrupted our dinner 3 nights in a row asking if we wanted to book a table for lunch since we told them flat out the first time we weren't interested in skipping dinner in the MDR.  The concept does seem to be failing.

1 hour ago, stringbean10 said:

I am always surprised the specialty restaurants aren't consistently packed - they feel like a crazy secret and bargain.  

They might be if the price per meal was at the level you got without having to buy the UDP.

Edited by Biker19

2 hours ago, stringbean10 said:

I am always surprised the specialty restaurants aren't consistently packed - they feel like a crazy secret and bargain.  

I can't speak to Royal Caribbeans specialty restaurants yet because I haven't tried any of them. However I have tried them on Princess and Celebrity. The old Sabatini's on Princess was my favorite. The veal chop was my go to meal and I always looked forward to it. At the time it was $25 a person and worth the up charge for food and service. The crown grill was nothing to write home about and  we never went back. I haven't been on Princess in a few years and I read that they changed the menu for Sabatini's and it wasn't for the better. Celebrity specialty restaurants are over priced and underwhelming. They also have to discount to fill them up. If the price was more reasonable without having to commit to a dining package or BOGO I would be more open to trying them out.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

$40 to$50  pp on top of what you already spent for the MDR food  is not exactly Walmart pricing. The top entrée' on Jamie's Italian Menu is a Cheddar Cheese Burger. Not only is that not Italian, but I would say $40 for a hamburger is in line with Gucci pricing.

"Jamie" isn't Italian either.  People who aren't from the Northeast just don't understand.

• Like 1

I haven't tried Jamie's and there are a couple things on the menu that look interesting. Someone mentioned a la carte pricing for the burger aka the $50 gucci burger... I am having a hard time finding that. 

Appears that it is $30 pp and you can have starter, side, main and dessert. Catch that on a bogo and its $15 pp - like $4 a course - seems worth it to me!

And nope, I wouldn't expect NJ Italian food - which is AMAZING!  Or actual Itallian  - Itallion food....That the other key, setting realistic expectations. 

1 hour ago, jerseyjjs said:

"Jamie" isn't Italian either.  People who aren't from the Northeast just don't understand.

We know that it takes more than a sprinkle of oregano to be called Italian. Leading off the menu with a cheddar cheese burger says it all. They would be better off serving Bangers and Mash.

• Haha 1