No butler service for penthouse suites on Jewel class starting late 2020

maja651

Anyone else notice that they have removed  the butler service from the aft and front facing penthouses on the Jewel class ships starting in late 2020? They now only have butler service in the Haven suites.  If this is the way NCL is going, it’s time for us to find a new cruise line.  I mean, why book a suite, especially at the elevated prices they are at now, if yiu are getting no butler or elevated service? They have also changed the room categories adding more categories to charge more for the deck 10 aft suites and more for the deck 10 middle front facing suites.  Argh

Edited by maja651

Where are you seeing this?

I can see the change in the designation of the categories starting Sept. 2020 but for suites, I see...

SD - Forward-Facing Deluxe Penthouse with Large Balcony - Includes butler and concierge service.

SF - Forward-Facing Penthouse with Large Balcony - ...butler and concierge service.

SM - Aft-Facing Penthouse with Large Balcony - Includes butler and concierge service.

SN - Aft-Facing Penthouse with Balcony - Includes butler and concierge service in select cabins.

What they mean by "select", I don't know. 

There is another thread HERE where people are starting to discuss some of the changes that are coming. 

I just looked at the Gem for my upcoming cruise - Jan 2020 - no changes. However in October they are making changes. The Concierge and butler service is still included all of the deck 10 suites which are now in a category by themselves - "SM" , the ones on 8 and 9 are now SN and they say "Concierge and Butler service in select cabins". The same is true for the forward suites deck 10 is in a category SD while 8 and 9 are SF. This is truly a way to charge more for the larger balconies on deck 10 both for and aft - I wonder if concierge and butler are available on decks 8 and 9 for an upcharge. It also appears that the Haven Owners suites on Decks 9 and 10 are different categories -

The same applies to the Jewel in Sept, Jade in Nov, Pearl in Oct

Does not affect the Dawn or other non Haven ships.

3 hours ago, bonvoyagie said:

I just looked at the Gem for my upcoming cruise - Jan 2020 - no changes. However in October they are making changes. The Concierge and butler service is still included all of the deck 10 suites which are now in a category by themselves - "SM" , the ones on 8 and 9 are now SN and they say "Concierge and Butler service in select cabins". The same is true for the forward suites deck 10 is in a category SD while 8 and 9 are SF. This is truly a way to charge more for the larger balconies on deck 10 both for and aft - I wonder if concierge and butler are available on decks 8 and 9 for an upcharge. It also appears that the Haven Owners suites on Decks 9 and 10 are different categories -

The same applies to the Jewel in Sept, Jade in Nov, Pearl in Oct

Does not affect the Dawn or other non Haven ships.

Are they doing away with Haven access and/or Butler service for those four OS (with forward & side balconies)?

Will this affect anyone already booked?

Thanks!

GC

9 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Where are you seeing this?

I can see the change in the designation of the categories starting Sept. 2020 but for suites, I see...

SD - Forward-Facing Deluxe Penthouse with Large Balcony - Includes butler and concierge service.

SF - Forward-Facing Penthouse with Large Balcony - ...butler and concierge service.

SM - Aft-Facing Penthouse with Large Balcony - Includes butler and concierge service.

SN - Aft-Facing Penthouse with Balcony - Includes butler and concierge service in select cabins.

What they mean by "select", I don't know. 

There is another thread HERE where people are starting to discuss some of the changes that are coming. 

If you look at the Jade April 4, 2021 sailing, you’ll see “note: butler service only listed for havens”under the  SD and SF category and “:note no butler service. Some with concierge” for the SM and SN categories. 

10 minutes ago, maja651 said:

If you look at the Jade April 4, 2021 sailing, you’ll see “note: butler service only listed for havens”under the  SD and SF category and “:note no butler service. Some with concierge” for the SM and SN categories. 

That's craaaazzzzyyyyy!

Looking at Gem (same class) April 5, 2021, it shows "Butler and concierge service, queen-size bed, luxury bath with shower, living and dining areas, sleeps up to three." for S4 (up to 4), SD, SF, SM & SN.

I hope that nobody books under one thing then has it changed to something else. 

I have mixed thoughts on this.  We know the price wont go down even with this change.  We don't use the butler that much. I love suites on the Jewel ships that don't have haven access.  We never use the Haven pool so it seems like a waste.  I love the large cabin, priority disembarkation and breakfast and lunch in Cagneys.  I wish I could only sign up for these things.

Butlers are stretched  thin and run all over the ship.  Maybe this is a way to improve the Haven experience where the butler can really serve only a few suites.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Are they doing away with Haven access and/or Butler service for those four OS (with forward & side balconies)?

Will this affect anyone already booked?

Thanks!

GC

Can anyone verify what is planned for the four OS suites, in terms of either Butler service or Haven access, when this change takes effect?

Many thanks.

GC

14 hours ago, maja651 said:

Anyone else notice that they have removed  the butler service from the aft and front facing penthouses on the Jewel class ships starting in late 2020? They now only have butler service in the Haven suites.  If this is the way NCL is going, it’s time for us to find a new cruise line.  I mean, why book a suite, especially at the elevated prices they are at now, if yiu are getting no butler or elevated service? They have also changed the room categories adding more categories to charge more for the deck 10 aft suites and more for the deck 10 middle front facing suites.  Argh

OMG you are doing a back to back cruise in the Garden Villa?  I hope you come and share your review.  That sounds amazing.

6 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

OMG you are doing a back to back cruise in the Garden Villa?  I hope you come and share your review.  That sounds amazing.

Yup! We are beyond excited! I’ll definitely write a review when I get back. 😀

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Can anyone verify what is planned for the four OS suites, in terms of either Butler service or Haven access, when this change takes effect?

Many thanks.

GC

I checked the Jade for January 2021. The OS on Deck 10 are now classified as Deluxe Owner's Suite and the ones on Deck 9 say Owner's Suite. Both list butler and concierge service. The ones on deck 10 are aprox. $500 more pp now than the ones on Deck 9.

12 minutes ago, Peachypooh said:

I checked the Jade for January 2021. The OS on Deck 10 are now classified as Deluxe Owner's Suite and the ones on Deck 9 say Owner's Suite. Both list butler and concierge service. The ones on deck 10 are aprox. $500 more pp now than the ones on Deck 9.

Thanks.

Are they both still Haven suites (even though not physically located withIN the Haven area)?  
They have had Haven status/access in the past.

GC

6 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Thanks.

Are they both still Haven suites (even though not physically located withIN the Haven area)?  
They have had Haven status/access in the past.

GC

I think so, they were both listed under the Haven category.

Just now, Peachypooh said:

I think so, they were both listed under the Haven category.

Thanks very much.

DH really enjoys the peacefulness in the Haven, although these OS on Jewel class require bit of a trudge, compared to the 2BR Haven suite, where one sort of walks across the small hallway and right in...

As I've mention in another thread, we aren't pleased about the bidding (feeling like those who pay full may eventually be outnumbered by those getting the same accommodations for *much* less), so we've been totally enjoying Oceania recently.  We returned from another cruise with them last week, and we just love the O-class ships there. 

But IF we are going to sail again bringing two younger generations along with us, NCL would work better, especially for the wee ones.  And we LOVE the forward view of these OS, or *any* forward view! :classic_smile:   This way, if the OS remain Haven status, the two of us could still escape to the solitude of the Haven, and hope the Haven remains a place of Solitude, depending upon who else is there, of course...

Thanks again.

GC

14 hours ago, FLcruisergrl said:

It sounds like they are just giving different options. As stated above, I often hear a lot of “I never use a butler or concierge.” This gives the choice of a larger/nicer rooms to folks who don’t want a butler and aren’t going to tip a butler. 

Except that it’s unlikely prices will be lowered for the suites from which these services will be removed. Far more likely that NCL is doing this to charge more for the suites that are keeping these services.  I really doubt this is about options for cruisers, it’s about making money. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Except that it’s unlikely prices will be lowered for the suites from which these services will be removed. Far more likely that NCL is doing this to charge more for the suites that are keeping these services.  I really doubt this is about options for cruisers, it’s about making money. 

Of course it’s about making money for NCL. That’s the bottom line for any business. I have no illusions that this will mean lower prices. I think it’ll mean higher prices for Haven suites. Those that don’t put a higher value on butler and concierge services can then pay for the lower level suite. But it still increases options. I don’t like higher prices, but I do like the Haven. The higher prices have caused me to consider other lines, but I haven’t made a switch yet.

39 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

Lots of people use the butlers very little. If the only difference is that people in the penthouse suites doesn't get the snacks in the afternoon it's not a big deal. 

I would agree, what sold the forward penthouse on the Jewel for us was the huge balcony, breakfast and lunch in Moderno if we wanted it and priority embarkation / disembarkation.

I’ve posted a photo or two of the newly updated suite 9500 on the Jewel 

86BE62DA-F930-47E9-BE96-6791CBAE0087.jpeg

8D3ED2F3-075C-43C7-809D-64AA605C709D.jpeg