Junior suite access to concierge

Chiliburn

Between a group we have booked 3 grand suites .One of their mums wants to come but there’s only a junior suite available.

Can the concierge ( for a good tip) give the junior suite access to the lounges with the silver card?

From experience the concierge can bend the rules.$$$

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

Would you want your mother in law in your cabin?

thanks for the suggestion 

If getting her access to the lounge is that important to you.

Please don't try to bribe the concierge....a very uncomfortable situation.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Ok that answers my question.

But I’m sure they would be welcome with our company.Never had problems in the past.

Don’t be so sure. It could get the concierge in a lot of trouble and is an extremely tacky thing to even suggest. I don’t think you want this poor woman to be embarrassed when she is turned away or worse, asked to leave. 

6 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Would you want your mother in law in your cabin?

thanks for the suggestion 

I’ve had her in my cabin on three occasions, granted the cabin was bigger than a GS, and she is way cooler than the normal MIL.  For those cruises she was my guest. 

If you/theywant her to have access to the CL, she either needs to book a better cabin, share one of yours, or the 3 of you need to pay the difference to get her into a GS.  Bribing the Concierge is just awkward, among many things. 

If you are questioning her in a shared cabin, do you really want her to join you in the CL?

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Ok that answers my question.

But I’m sure they would be welcome with our company.Never had problems in the past.

think again.  trying to sneak others in is  rude to the other guests who legitimately have access.   and puts the Concierge in a tough spot.    if you ask, be prepared to graciously accept the 'no' answer  as the lounges are too crowded as it is 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ashland said:

If getting her access to the lounge is that important to you.

Please don't try to bribe the concierge....a very uncomfortable situation.

Some people obviously watch too many movies/tv.  Bribing doesn't work in real life the way it does on tv and can get someone in a lot of trouble.  My feeling is OP knows the rules, but was trying to either start something or get someone to admit that bribing works.

I wouldn't offer a bribe, but you could discreetly ask when no one else is around. Concierge can say yes or no. If yes, give tip at the end. 

Sailings can vary widely and sometimes the lounge is very crowded, other times it's dead. In your situation, having three GS, and MIL in JS, I would ask nicely and be prepared to be polite about a no.

I would not post my results either way.

Edited by marci22

4 hours ago, gerif said:

Don’t be so sure. It could get the concierge in a lot of trouble and is an extremely tacky thing to even suggest. I don’t think you want this poor woman to be embarrassed when she is turned away or worse, asked to leave. 

I don't think the concierge would get 'in a lot of trouble'. I don't think it is 'extremely tacky'. I wouldn't make any assumptions by bringing the MIL in with me. I would go by myself, and ask the concierge in private. 

Why should the concierge allow her in the lounge? What makes her so special? Once again the 'snowflake' attitude that the 'rules somehow don't apply to me'. She does not qualify to be allowed in the lounge, plain and simple. Just because she is traveling with people who are allowed does not give her any special reason for an exception.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

Thanks for all your advice,

just asking advise about a old woman joining friends and family in the concierge lounge if it wasn’t to busy.

Oh, so if the person in question is 'old' then exceptions should be made? What about if it's a child who lives far away? How about your best friends who don't cruise as much as you? The list of people who feel their friends and family deserve to be 'exceptions' could go on and on and on. On our cruise last month on Serenade, there were officers and crew on both the lounge doors every single night for the entire happy hour time. They asked to see your cards everyday. The message from RCI  was very clear that only those who were supposed to be in the lounges were welcome.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, cello56 said:

Oh, so if the person in question is 'old' then exceptions should be made? What about if it's a child who lives far away? How about your best friends who don't cruise as much as you? The list of people who feel their friends and family deserve to be 'exceptions' could go on and on and on. On our cruise last month on Serenade, there were officers and crew on both the lounge doors every single night for the entire happy hour time. They asked to see your cards everyday. The message from RCI  was very clear that only those who were supposed to be in the lounges were welcome.

I’m amazed how some people flair up.

your point is taken.

Edited by Chiliburn

11 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Why not one couple book a OS and give the GS to the Mum. 

They could also each split and pay the difference from her current cabin to a GS, letting her have her own cabin. 

• Thanks 1

Chiliburn...perhaps you'll get an email from the Concierge before the cruise...you can ask him/her via email.

As someone else suggested, ask privately.  It doesn't hurt to ask.  Please come back and tell us how it turned out.  Happy Sailing!

17 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Between a group we have booked 3 grand suites .One of their mums wants to come but there’s only a junior suite available.

Can the concierge ( for a good tip) give the junior suite access to the lounges with the silver card?

From experience the concierge can bend the rules.$$$

It could happen, but please do not bribe them, it could get them in trouble or embarrass them.  On several trips both on Royal and Celebrity, we were in the RS and PH suites and was asked by the concierge why we haven't been in the lounge. We explained that we have my MIL with us and she is in a balcony room so we are just hanging out at other bars/places. It was no big deal because we always have drink packages and we are not a big fans of the crowded CL or MC, but every time we have been told to bring her in with us, that it would be no problem. We never asked for them to break the rules nor make an exception for her, but they did make the offer and we appreciated it. We took her in a few times so she could see that we weren't missing anything special. Maybe if you nicely mention to the concierge that you won't be in the lounge much because no larger suites were available to book for your mother, so you will need to find places that you can go with her, they may make an exception. Good luck and enjoy your cruise!