Loyalty Program for Family Member

AbuAnas

Hi

As you may know from my other posts I am a first timer and totally newbie when it comes to cruise. 

I just joined the RCCL loyalty program,  Crown and Anchor. My question is since we are traveling as a family on one booking,  will all the points added up toward my membership or is it better to create different membership for me and my wife? 

TIA

You only get your points.  Your wife will get her points. Royal does not give all the points to whoever paid.  You will both have equal standing at the end of the trip.  However, should one of you cruise without the other the person who did not cruise will have the same standing as the person who did.  As an example, DH and I have not taken every cruise together. I went alone with my sisters. So technically I have 4 nights more than he does BUT he reached the next level at the same time as I did.  The only caveat is that you must be married or live at the same address.

As an aside, kids have their parents level after their first cruise until they turn 18 then they're have to earn their own status (but they keep using the parents level at the time they turned 18 until they move beyond it), so I have one child who is Platinum and one child who is Emerald with only two cruises on Royal each.

So here is what I find interesting.  I was on Harmony last week.  I met someone that my husband knew from many many years ago. We aren’t friends but we chatted a few times in the ship.  She told us that they ( she, husband, two children) are listed as household members of her brother in law. She said that her husbands brother, who wasn’t on the ship, is a frequent cruiser and is diamond plus level.   She said that her brother in law added her husband as as living in the same house so her husband (and her, kids) get diamond status.  This came up because I was asking her how often she cruises.   So obviously they are playing the system but I can’t help but wonder why RCI is letting two grown men, brothers, be household members.  I can’t imagine that I could just add my siblings as household members, nor would I try or want to.  

16 minutes ago, MaiseyM said:

So here is what I find interesting.  I was on Harmony last week.  I met someone that my husband knew from many many years ago. We aren’t friends but we chatted a few times in the ship.  She told us that they ( she, husband, two children) are listed as household members of her brother in law. She said that her husbands brother, who wasn’t on the ship, is a frequent cruiser and is diamond plus level.   She said that her brother in law added her husband as as living in the same house so her husband (and her, kids) get diamond status.  This came up because I was asking her how often she cruises.   So obviously they are playing the system but I can’t help but wonder why RCI is letting two grown men, brothers, be household members.  I can’t imagine that I could just add my siblings as household members, nor would I try or want to.  

I don't think he knew what he was saying. I live upstairs from one of my brothers. We were going to share a cabin on a group cruise. Since we share the same address, I called RCCL to see if they would give him my diamond status, or at least allow him to come to the lounge with me. They said only if he was my husband or S/O. Since I was NOT willing to say my brother was my S/O, he was out of luck. lol

Edited by payitforward

1 hour ago, crookedhalo said:

However, should one of you cruise without the other the person who did not cruise will have the same standing as the person who did.  As an example, DH and I have not taken every cruise together. I went alone with my sisters. So technically I have 4 nights more than he does BUT he reached the next level at the same time as I did.  The only caveat is that you must be married or live at the same address.

THANK YOU!  I was trying to figure out why DH has the same number of points as me.  🙂

1 hour ago, payitforward said:

. They said only if he was my husband or S/O. Since I was NOT willing to say my brother was my S/O, he was out of luck. lol

Now that I'm thinking about it, I am wondering if that's what they did.  Or maybe they somehow slipped an adult brother in.  Not sure.  I didn't ask too many questions, but I know she had access to the Diamond suite (I think that's the name?) and other areas we don't go to since we're not diamond.  Maybe the brothers played off the same last name.  But I do know that she and her family got access to diamond stuff b/c of a brother in law who listed them 'as household members.'   I know it's a stretch and I can't see myself caring enough to do it, but I imagine others do.  

39 minutes ago, MaiseyM said:

Now that I'm thinking about it, I am wondering if that's what they did  

You can designate anyone to be your SO for C&A purposes. Once you attain the level you can unlink and link with someone else and we have no reports of anyone being demoted due to unlinking. 

22 hours ago, Biker19 said:

You can designate anyone to be your SO for C&A purposes. Once you attain the level you can unlink and link with someone else and we have no reports of anyone being demoted due to unlinking. 

Makes me think about that woman on here few yrs ago getting a Divorce. She was mad because he would be able keep her status.... But to OP, my one Daughter is a Diamnond Plus like me even though she has had only 2 cruises. Other Daughter also Diamond Plus but has now earned it in cruises she has now completed

Edited by ONECRUISER

13 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Per the above, daughter is D+ with two cruises. Then when the daughter has a significant other or spouse, that person will be D+ almost immediately. 

Perhaps this is a factor in the program growth. 

M

And the grandchildren will be d+ also on first cruise.  Then grandchildren spouses would be d+ also.  

13 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Of course, we just don't know how it compares to folks who have the actual points for the level.

Folks who have the actual points for the level are not the issue here. The  poster stated that one daughter had  just 2 cruises and was D+.    That status  will carry with her and then others. 

M

3 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

The  poster stated that one daughter had  just 2 cruises and was D+.    That status  will carry with her and then others. 

Right, but we have no idea what % of folks have status but not the points - if it's 1-2% it makes no diff, if it's 20-30%, then yeah, it has an impact.

I spend a small fortune booking and paying for multiple suites a year - but they only give me my 2 points per night for sailing in a suite.  

As to the other issues - the C&A boondoggle is going to change especially for Diamond, Diamond+ and pinnacles.  The system is broken, the lounges are out of control and the free loaders are insatiable.  

11 minutes ago, Andy C said:

I spend a small fortune booking and paying for multiple suites a year - but they only give me my 2 points per night for sailing in a suite.  ...

Celebrity has a more graduated point system.

6 minutes ago, jchiefs13 said:

Interesting.  Since we're not married my guy isn't Diamond Plus like I am, but our daughter instantly was after her first sailing completed.

Judy

You don’t need to be married, just living in the same household.

8 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

You don’t need to be married, just living in the same household.

And declare the other person to be their significant other to Crown & Anchor.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I don’t think this matters anymore, brothers or otherwise. 

I can see how one could declare the other a SO and game the system.   How does the SO then link their real spouse and kids to get d or d+ status for the whole family!