Are the ships stopping in Labadee?

amandem

I heard a rumor from someone who just got off a RC ship that they didn't stop at Haiti.  They said the rumor onboard was that there were some security issues it wasn't safe to stop there.  Any truth to this?  Hopefully if they are not stopping at this port they can stop at another since they have notice.  

Royal changed the itinerary for the Jewel of the Seas 9 day cruise on  our January 18, 2019 sailing. No reason given and sending us now to Nassau instead. It would be ironic if it was for safety reason after they had a notice warning cruiser of the high level of crime recently towards tourist in Nassau. 

16 hours ago, amandem said:

I heard a rumor from someone who just got off a RC ship that they didn't stop at Haiti.  They said the rumor onboard was that there were some security issues it wasn't safe to stop there.  Any truth to this?  Hopefully if they are not stopping at this port they can stop at another since they have notice.  

I'm confused...you said it's a rumor from someone that was actually on the ship.  This person doesn't know if the ship stopped there?:classic_huh:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ramja96 said:

The most recent travel advisory issued by the US State Dept. on Haiti was in November 2018. I see no more recent advisories to give reason for this sudden change. Interesting.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/haiti-travel-advisory.html

There is always something going on. Has nothing to do 99% of the time with the ship stopping at Labadee

8 hours ago, shorti503 said:

On Adventure now, we stopped there yesterday.  No issues at all!

DSC_0372.JPG

8 hours ago, shorti503 said:

On Adventure now, we stopped there yesterday.  No issues at all!

DSC_0372.JPG

Good to know! We were there last March and loved it. Then it was canceled before we left for Cuba in December. Want to return!

5 hours ago, amandem said:

I was hoping it was just that, a rumor.  I really want to stop there since we've never been.  I'm not new to the cruise rumors, that's why I asked.

We were there in December for the first time. Be sure and skip the first 2 beach areas as they are very rocky!! Otherwise, it is beautiful there!

8 hours ago, Loggra said:

We were there in December for the first time. Be sure and skip the first 2 beach areas as they are very rocky!! Otherwise, it is beautiful there!

We learned the hard way on our first time at Labadee.  Now we take the free tram to Columbus Cove.  No rocks.  Plenty of shade.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Grandma Petania said:

We learned the hard way on our first time at Labadee.  Now we take the free tram to Columbus Cove.  No rocks.  Plenty of shade.

Grandma, Thanks for letting me know that!!

18 hours ago, time4u2go said:

I'm confused...you said it's a rumor from someone that was actually on the ship.  This person doesn't know if the ship stopped there?:classic_huh:

I was confused the first time I read it.  but after rereading realized the OP meant passenger told them the ship did not stop at Labadee, the rumor part was to the reason why.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2019 at 2:52 AM, squaw said:

Royal changed the itinerary for the Jewel of the Seas 9 day cruise on  our January 18, 2019 sailing. No reason given and sending us now to Nassau instead. It would be ironic if it was for safety reason after they had a notice warning cruiser of the high level of crime recently towards tourist in Nassau. 

The reason the Jan 9 Jewel OTS itinerary was changed per Royal was port congestion in Aruba on the scheduled day. So Royal removed Labadee and moved Aruba up a day. Not security issues .Nassau is definitely not and even swap with Labadee. 

• 1 month later...

I've been on cruises that have swapped Nassau for Labadee a few times and it's always been a medical issue with a passenger as Nassau is closer than Labadee if something occurs after leaving Florida. They both have perks if you've never been to either. Labadee is beautiful and they have my all time favorite specialty drink - the Labadoozie!!! Enjoy!

Port A Prince is having issues with riots and public unrest over politics and reported government corruption, Labadee is far enough away that usually RCCL still makes stops despite all the happenings in other parts of the country.