How did you choose your travel agent?

LSauls7537

I KNOW I can't ask for names, agencies, or even hints.  I'm asking for those really seasoned cruisers; what were your thoughts when choosing either to book thru an agent, internet or brick and mortar store or direct thru the cruise line.  Just want your thought process and if you've been happy with your choice.  We're "older", don't require airfare for the most part, are independent and don't like dealing with trivial things.  We like to cruise, never had a bad one, so not hard to please and we don't complain.  Many years ago we had an agent that would book us on a cruise and THEN call us.  She knew our budget, what we liked.  She's now retired and I truly miss her.

Oh .. sounds like you had a dream agent.  I used to use an agent like that who would book us on a trip and then call us to notify us of the deal she got for us.  OH....so long ago now. 

Since then, we've cruised a lot more and I use a multitude of different agencies and sometimes, just book directly through the cruiseline if it means we aren't losing out on too many free perks.  

We've used the big box agencies, and still do once in a while, but I found out that they didn't pass any of the upsell or move over offers (from Princess) along to their customers.  Geez ... that's not good.  I use them now only if they have a great group rate or we book a suite from the get go.  

We also have used several large online agencies, always chosen because they offered us the best deals, not only in pricing but in perks.  

I tried a brick and mortar agency last year and had such a bad experience that I canceled that booking and never went back.  I'm sure there are good ones out there but these agents knew absolutely nothing!  Plus, once booked, they started to include all sorts of stipulations and then didn't book me under the promotion until it had expired so lost those free perks anyway... ugh!  Once I decided I'd really rather not go with them, they stalled on canceling my booking then, they kept calling me afterwards pleading with me to give them another chance.  Well, that is more on how 'not' to pick an agency!   

But, other than the lack of notification of our offers from the cruiseline, I've been pretty happy with using the larger online agencies.  Of note, I do call in, though ... usually won't book it online as I like to get a feel for their level of knowledge and ask what extras the agents can offer to me.  You'd be surprised that sometimes, if you ask, you will receive.  

Oh, and unless I book last minute, I don't really like to book with an agency that assesses an extra change or cancellation fee.  I'm not saying I won't for the right deal, it just concerns me that I am putting down a deposit a couple of years in advance and will be charged if I change my mind or have a scheduling conflict.  

I don't mind doing my own homework and doing regular price checking for price drops (or better categories) so I have almost always used a high volume agency - but generally one that has a brick and mortar setup.    I recently found a more full service agent through one of the "cruise bidding" websites and use her when she can offer me a better deal.   I haven't had any issues that I couldn't resolve with the high volume agencies and have saved several thousand dollars over the years (or received OBC and other perks).    

The first high volume agency I used assigned you to an agent - she was great - I recommended all my cruising friends to her and she even traveled with us a couple times.   But she is now retired and the agency wasn't interested in getting us connected with an agent that knew we were a group of travelers who books lots of cruises and expected some good service so we all left for other agencies.

Joe

I used the site where agents bidded for our business. After a few bookings I found an agent that I clicked with and she also gave extra OBC. She answered my questions and if she wasn't available there are other agents that take care of my requests.

• Like 2

I used the online agency that my friend was using for our first trip.   There was no fee,  and we got extra OBC thrown in.   They assigned me an agent,  took care of every detail,  and had answers to all of the questions I had.   I continue to use them,  and still get extra OBC thrown in.   If I need to make a change with something,  I just send her an email.   In fact I just 'rebooked' to get the special 3 perks promo with no problems.   I guess I am open to booking elsewhere if I find a better deal,  but I would probably check to see if she could match it first.

I just switched from a Celebrity to MSC cruise. I booked from MSC directly but to find a travel agent- I found an MSC Facebook page. I posted asking for recommendations. I had several and touched base with all of them- went with the one who responded promptly, answered all my questions and did not have to have me give my booking number to tell me the perks her agency would give. I filled out transfer form she sent to me today and emailed to MSC- I got onboard credit from her -twice the amount others offered.  I did email her after messaging through Facebook to make sure I understood everything- she verified I did (watch too much Judgr Judy and wanted to make sure cancellation policy, payment date, etc stayed the same).

I know we can’t give names - wish we could . I have also done through a big box store with good experience. 

Edited by andymattmom

We booked our first cruise with a big online agency. Deal was too good to be true kind of situation. They assigned us a travel agent and we just went with it. She did a great job getting us the (real - First and probably only time RCL did that) 50% off on one of our cruise (She spend 2 hours on the phone waiting, not us!!) They also had awesome group bookings for the holiday cruises we did. She actually came back in the office to rebook us from the Equinox we booked on board to the Edge when the booking came in, which save us bunch of money as the prices sky rocketed really quickly.

I can also deal everything through email which for me is a big plus. 

I usually shop around every time, but I had no reason to change so far. If the total value of the cruise is within $100 of what other quote (searching and using compete site), I just book with her. We have been happy so far and if she is not available, I can call the general number and someone will take care of me.

When we were looking at doing our first cruise in March 2018, we looked at Celebrities website, then my wife went to a couple of travel agents and one managed to get us a good cabin on 9th floor plus 2 perks - for about the same price as Celebrity (Celebrity couldn't guarantee what floor / cabin we'd be on)

She was very good to deal with and my wife handled everything with her

We are also using her for our April 2020 cruise 

I found my agent after my first cruise on Carnival, which I had booked direct.  I knew nothing about cruising.

I vented in FB and an old high school classmate chimed in, saying I had obviously sailed the wrong line for me and that I needed a travel agent specializing in cruising.  She worked IT for a travel agent, and set me up with a colleague over the phone.  That agent spent 2 hours interviewing me, asking my likes and dislikes, what I wanted to do and what I was looking for.  She recommended Celebrity after learning about me.  It is a moderately sized company with brick and mortar locations in another state from me, but also has a decent sized online presence.  

i don’t get as much OBC and perks back as some people say they get, but I can send an email or text and get things taken care of.  She knows my likes and dislikes, and I’m satisfied.  She doesn’t charge for changes or cancellations, and I’ve made plenty of them over the last 7 years.  I’m happy to let her sit on the phone with Celebrity on my behalf.

Over the last 25 years we progressed from a large national brick & mortar agency to a local outfit that only does cruises, and then to several online agencies.  We've stuck with our current one for the last 10 years  for several reasons.  Their reps are knowledgeable (always reassuring when they know more than me), percs are reasonable,  and they have 24/7 customer service which we've occasionally needed to call nights and weekends.

Edited by Baron Barracuda

We found our first TA when we called the Crystal 1-800 number to book a cruise and were automatically transferred to a Crystal-certified TA. He has turned out to be a great TA and we have since transferred some Oceania and HAL bookings to him getting between 6-10% in additional perks when we do.

We found our second TA, that we periodically use when booking Princess and Celebrity cruises as they give either 10% in cruise price reductions or in OBC. We found that TA by emailing a person on CC that talked about how wonderful her TA was.

You can also ask folks when you are on a cruise who they use and what type of perks they get for booking with their TA as well as how well they respond to phone calls when you have a question.

5 hours ago, rsail203 said:

I used the site where agents bidded for our business. After a few bookings I found an agent that I clicked with and she also gave extra OBC. She answered my questions and if she wasn't available there are other agents that take care of my requests.

This is exactly how we got to the agent we use.  She has been awesome since we connected with here 9 years ago.  I will still use the bid process and unless it is a significant difference (only happened once) I just email her and have her set it up.

In the one case we got a quote for about $350 less per person and I asked her if there was any chance she could come close.  She spent 30 minutes researching and said that the other agency had apparently negotiated a great deal on a large block of rooms and I should grab their offer right away.

Another time we made a deposit with a line we hadn't traveled with before, later decided to cancel and use a different line.  This cruise line would not refund our deposit in a timely manner and our agent harassed them them several times until the deposit was credited back to our card.  At some point I think she kind of took it personally that they were abusing one of her customers. haha.  That is the kind of agent you want.

Edited by Tedw
grammar :-)

5 hours ago, rsail203 said:

I found a few from that site that I like.  Some have good relationships and get group rates from certain lines.  Celebrity is very good to their high volume agents.  In that family, so is Azamara.  

We found ours from a mailing, tried him and things worked well. That was 30 cruises ago. If we find what we like he matches and gives OBC. He now gets Ca. wine every Christmas. He is on one of the Great Lakes. OOPS

Met my TA and her husband on a previous cruise.

I usually search and completely examine each of the 33 cruises I've been on. After finding a cruise I'm interested in and what the price appears to be, I turn it over to my TA. She knows what kind of cabin and location I like, what perks I would take if any are available and often times finds military discounts (I'm a veteran) that are not listed on the cruise line website. Her price is normally always less (sometimes a lot, some times just a little) than what I find on the cruise line website. She adds some OBC and sometimes a gift in the cabin upon arrival.

The trick, I think, is to find a TA who is interested in what you are really looking for in a cruise and not just what she/he might like or be pushing.

My story is similar to Ken the Cruiser's above.  We got our first TA as a referral from Oceania – didn't click and haven't used again.  Second one as a referral from AmaWaterways – wonderful relationship, answers my emails even when she is traveling, offers great advice and seems to welcome my feedback, bird-dogged an insurance claim for us when we had to cancel.  Third one as a referral from someone we met on a cruise – not available outside business hours but gives large rebates (which we prefer to OBC).  None of them charge cancellation fees – that's a fatal flaw IMHO.  I still use #2 and #3 depending on whether I foresee the need for advice and help, or just want a quick booking at the lowest price.

One of my friends referred me to my  TA  after she had a good experience with him. From the first time I called him he seemed like an old friend and was great with answering questions and figured out what I  wanted and what was most important itinerary ,dates, Cruise line , price etc.  I  have booked I believe nine cruises including a group family cruise  where we filled just under one room of getting a free supplement ( father In law staying by himself ) and my TA added on an extra person so we did not have to pay for a single supplement !! But did not tell me until after everything was said and done and said it was a present to us !!

He has always answers my phone calls and text sometimes late  at night  when I think I need a specific room that is available at that moment lol!   For the moment a new cruise comes out I need to book right then !! I cannot tell you  what company he works for but Wes is the best !!!

9 minutes ago, sdnich said:

He has always answers my phone calls and text sometimes late  at night  when I think I need a specific room that is available at that moment lol!   For the moment a new cruise comes out I need to book right then!!

I feel the same way.  But there is always the option of booking on the cruise line website (in the middle of the night) and then transferring the booking to your TA.  [You should get an extra rebate for not disturbing their sleep!]

My thought process is that you basically know your travel needs so you want a travel agent who fits those needs. In years past we used local agents that met our needs, but local TAs are no longer plentiful and we're more demanding than we used to be. If you know what you like and do your own research (a simple task these days) you've done most of the work already. The last time I used a local TA, I told her the ship, the sail date, the cabin number and the flight times we wanted. She laughed and said she didn't know why we were using her. I decided she was right and, since I was online with my research anyway, I started talking to online agencies. If it matters, the one we've used for the past 10 years does have a rather large brick and mortar presence in the far northeast. But we use them for a number of other reasons: they have a website that's easy to use; they offer the best OBC perks we've found; they have an excellent cruise insurance product that's well priced; their agents are knowledgeable enough; they quickly respond if I have a question or find a price-drop, and while they do have a cancellation fee, they don't impose it if I re-book another cruise. They've also had my back when I've encountered problems. I cancelled a fall cruise last summer, well before final payment, but my $900 deposit refund never showed up. I expended considerable time and effort to get both Celebrity and AmEx to investigate and both urged me NOT to get my TA involved, saying it would only add confusion. After two months with no progress, I called my TA's customer service and the young lady I spoke with resolved the issue within 24 hours. In summation, that's a TA who fits my needs.

My first experience with a TA wasn't great.  Unreal promises were given as mock examples, never a penny in incentives whenever we were serious.  One weekend in early 2016, Celebrity released their 123GO! sale, and I couldn't get ahold of this TA in time.  We ended up going with retail chain last minute, viewing it as merely a backup plan.  The TA had good reason for being away with family, but gave a big attitude when he returned.  Paraphrasing:

"Don't bother, just go with them for now on.  Some people just can't see the need for a travel professional, and want to try and figure this stuff out on their own.  That's apparently you, so you don't need my expertise moving forward..."

We're happy with the retail chain, which I believe their staff qualify as travel professionals.  The incentives are well worth it!  

I love my TA!  My first experiences with TAs were okay because they were in charge of fundraising cruises for our gang. I've also booked directly through the cruise line (most expensive option). 

I met my current TA at a local Chamber of Commerce event and she has been WONDERFUL.  I can call her any time, I can email her and she instantly responds with great options, and arranges the best perks for us.  I will never book a cruise without her again!

16 hours ago, XtaSea said:

My thought process is that you basically know your travel needs so you want a travel agent who fits those needs. In years past we used local agents that met our needs, but local TAs are no longer plentiful and we're more demanding than we used to be. If you know what you like and do your own research (a simple task these days) you've done most of the work already. The last time I used a local TA, I told her the ship, the sail date, the cabin number and the flight times we wanted. She laughed and said she didn't know why we were using her. I decided she was right and, since I was online with my research anyway, I started talking to online agencies. If it matters, the one we've used for the past 10 years does have a rather large brick and mortar presence in the far northeast. But we use them for a number of other reasons: they have a website that's easy to use; they offer the best OBC perks we've found; they have an excellent cruise insurance product that's well priced; their agents are knowledgeable enough; they quickly respond if I have a question or find a price-drop, and while they do have a cancellation fee, they don't impose it if I re-book another cruise. They've also had my back when I've encountered problems. I cancelled a fall cruise last summer, well before final payment, but my $900 deposit refund never showed up. I expended considerable time and effort to get both Celebrity and AmEx to investigate and both urged me NOT to get my TA involved, saying it would only add confusion. After two months with no progress, I called my TA's customer service and the young lady I spoke with resolved the issue within 24 hours. In summation, that's a TA who fits my needs.

We have been using the same Company since 1999. Have booked 25 cruises with them and have ALWAYS had Superior Customer Service!!!!!

We simply shop around among several major high volume reputable cruise agencies.  Over the years we have refined our favorite list to 4 agencies...although in the past 5 years (about 25 cruises) a majority of our bookings have gone to 2 agencies who always seem to have the best overall deals.  We tease our favorite cruise agent that she is our favorite agent and we will always be "loyal" as long as she has the best deal :).  She does usually give us the best deals (at least 10% less then what it would cost to book via the cruise lines) except on RCI products (RCI, Celebrity and Azamara) where we use another agency that seems to have some kind of terrific connection (and deals) on those RCI-owned lines.

Hank