Iona Construction ?

jaydee6969

4 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Well you would be if it ever sails full. If the capacity is limited to even 70/80% that would leave it about a quarter empty, with probably bags of room to take your cat with you for a swing around.

Poor puddy. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Well you would be if it ever sails full. If the capacity is limited to even 70/80% that would leave it about a quarter empty, with probably bags of room to take your cat with you for a swing around.

I have just read on the RC site about their protocols for restarting cruises initially from Singapore.

Maximum capacity 50%.

Graham.

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

I have just read on the RC site about their protocols for restarting cruises initially from Singapore.

Maximum capacity 50%.

Graham.

If prices reflect that they will struggle to get many passengers,

Cruises will only be for the wealthy like years ago.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

If prices reflect that they will struggle to get many passengers,

Cruises will only be for the wealthy like years ago.

Royal had previously stated they would break even at 30% capacity.

With 50% capacity social distancing would be a lot easier to control and would give a better experience for those on board.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Thats a really original statement never heard that one before 🤣 but like I said who cares when you are inside and enjoying the facilities.

What I like about the smaller (eg Arcadia) ships, is that over the course of a cruise you "bump" into people that you have met in the bar, chatted to on deck, or shared a table with at dinner. So you gain acquaintances over the course of the cruise, that gives you a socialization process that is not possible on larger cruises. Hence my dislike of large cruise ships. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

With 50% capacity social distancing would be a lot easier to control and would give a better experience for those on board.

I can't see that without huge prices and they will need to make profits not break even, time will tell

12 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Graham, you obviously know that break even means just covering the actual costs of that particular cruise.  However, once you factor in depreciation,  interest costs etc, you need to be sailing at 80% capacity or above to stay in business.  

9 minutes ago, wowzz said:

What I like about the smaller (eg Arcadia) ships, is that over the course of a cruise you "bump" into people that you have met in the bar, chatted to on deck, or shared a table with at dinner. So you gain acquaintances over the course of the cruise, that gives you a socialization process that is not possible on larger cruises. Hence my dislike of large cruise ships. 

Absolutely agree,  never sailed on larger than Celebrity Millennium class and prefer even smaller like Azamara.

Edited by Bloodaxe

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Graham, you obviously know that break even means just covering the actual costs of that particular cruise.  However, once you factor in depreciation,  interest costs etc, you need to be sailing at 80% capacity or above to stay in business.  

They have to start sailing first and increase capacity as soon as they can safely do so with the relevant authorities like CDC in US allowing it.

I "bumped" into the manager of a builders merchant I used to deal with.It was in the lift of Sea Princess in Montego Bay on the 1st day of the cruise.His Mrs didn't look very happy,I said don't worry I won't talk to him again,lol.

7 hours ago, grapau27 said:

They have to start sailing first and increase capacity as soon as they can safely do so with the relevant authorities like CDC in US allowing it.

All very true Graham, only time will tell how many survive but cruise lines are still in for a very uncertain future.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, grapau27 said:

30% break even so 

50% will make decent profit.

Suites,junior suites, balcony cabins filled first.

At this stage, it doesn't matter if they don't make a penny... 

They just need to start sailing as safely as possible ASAP to give people hope to future book and generate income, otherwise they won't survive. 

If you don't feed the beast, it will die.. 

Andy 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

They just need to start sailing as safely as possible ASAP to give people hope to future book and generate income, otherwise they won't survive. 

Andy 

Totally true Andy.

50% capacity to start will help with social distancing, testing,mask wearing, queues and hopefully bring confidence back to people who are justifiably worried about cruising.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

Even on bigger ships we find we bump into the same people quite often, that's because of the time we prefer to dine, or the areas of the ship we tend to use for relaxing, so you find you are more likely to come across others with the same likes as you.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Totally true Andy.

50% capacity to start will help with social distancing, testing,mask wearing, queues and hopefully bring confidence back to people who are justifiably worried about cruising.

Sorry but wont bring confidence back to me we have 3 cruises booked for 2021 and there is no way I am going to walk around all day on a cruise ship wearing a mask and if its a case you have to go on an excursion to get off the ship then its a big no from me it will be the end of my cruising holidays.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

Although I personally won't choose to cruise whilst restrictions are in place, I completely agree with you about this Andy.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Sorry but wont bring confidence back to me we have 3 cruises booked for 2021 and there is no way I am going to walk around all day on a cruise ship wearing a mask and if its a case you have to go on an excursion to get off the ship then its a big no from me it will be the end of my cruising holidays.

I can understand that as I don't fancy wearing a mask.

The reduced passenger numbers will make all the protocols easier to implement.

Sitting in bars and restaurants you will not need a mask.

All outdoor areas will probably be mask free 

Cabin balconies will be mask free.

You will have to wear a mask in the shops and indoor areas when not seated but that's like what is happening now in everyday life.

Graham.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I get that, but from the cruise lines point of view, they have to start somewhere. 

I still think we are 2/3 years off anything like we knew previously. 

Andy 

50 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

This is exactly how we feel, don't want go and compare everything to how it used to be. We have had a good run at it and seen some wonderful places, but we are feeling that this is probably it for us, certainly until everything is back to normal, if it ever is.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I can understand that as I don't fancy wearing a mask.

The reduced passenger numbers will make all the protocols easier to implement.

Sitting in bars and restaurants you will not need a mask.

All outdoor areas will probably be mask free 

Cabin balconies will be mask free.

You will have to wear a mask in the shops and indoor areas when not seated but that's like what is happening now in everyday life.

Graham.

Our next cruise is Alaska in June. It is part of a longer holiday including the Canadian Rockies. If we need to do Ships excursions in the 3 ports, so be it. Not ideal, but not a game changer. We are used to masks in public areas so although not ideal, we will live with it. I guess sitting on a plane for 9 hours will be a good preparation. Obviously new normal will be different to old normal. The choice is put up with it, or not go. If masks help keep us safer, ok, but that's lots of masks for 3 weeks. Only problem will be, will DW still know it's me, what if the lumberjacks, and Mounties look more attractive  in their masks?🤔.

• Haha 2