Please share actual experiences with Princess Travel Protection Plan

happy cruzer

Hi,  Many of us book the Princess Plan but have never had to use it.  It would be very helpful to see what actual experiences have been.  We have medical insurances that covers out of country but book Princess's Plan to cover our deductibles and travel expenses.  Really would love to here how actual claims have worked especially medical claims for visiting the ship's doctors.

Thanks in advance.

It's inconvenient because the insurance is secondary payor.  I saw the ship doctor last month (Dec 17th, I think) for bronchitis and a got a z-pack.  Total for doctor and Rx was $168.  I paid it and filed the claims with my own health insurance and am waiting for the EOB which I need to file with the Princess insurance.  I'd pay extra for it to be primary payor and avoid this hassle.  

ALSO...after you see the doctor, the summary is delivered to your stateroom.  WHILE YOU ARE STILL ONBOARD, ask for the full medical record.  You will need it when you file the claim and after the cruise they charge an admin fee to get a copy.  

• Like 1

We incurred a small doctor bill a few years ago while onboard. We had to pay the bill which was added to our cabin account. Once home we had to file under our medical insurance which wouldn’t pay due to being out of network and not meeting deductible. Once we received the letter saying they wouldn’t pay we could then file with the Princess coverage which eventually sent us a check. 

Another occassion we had to cancel two weeks prior to departure for a cruise booked to take my nephew and his best friend with us in their own cabin while he was between treatments for cancer that is almost always terminal. His condition worsended suddenly and treatments prevented his travel on his dream trip. 

The refund for the cruise in cruise credits was very painful as they only refund the credit to the person who’s names are on the cruise personalizer and not to those who paid for the cruises. As the refund is in future cruise credits vs credit card refund the only way to have them returned to those who actually paid is to have all passengers complete and sign a letter “giving” the credits to us. Not knowing if or how long he would survive the cancer how do you request he and his friend sign such a letter and possibly indicate your belief he would not survive. At a time like this it’s very important to show support and encouragement over a persons prognosis. We all wanted him to recover and use them someday but it wasn’t meant to be. When lost him about a year later. 

Chris 

my elderly in laws had to be put off the ship in Aruba for medical reasons and Princess went above and beyond to help them get care and return home. Both of them suffered from separate problems and each got a care giver, flight home, ambulance in Miami to get home . (boat departed out of FLL), This took several days and we were in constant contact with Princess. they never received a bill I might add

Edited by jdechter

We have friends who incurred a very large doctor bill on the ship. She was in the medical 19  days of a 30 day cruise. She had Princess vacation protection and when she got home filed the claim. It took a couple months but between her insurance and Princess insurance, she got back 100% (except for the amt paid for the vac protection). I got the flu last year on the ship and the doctor bill was about 400.00. Again between my insurance and Princess' I got back 100% (it only took a couple weeks for mine). We ALWAYS purchase Princess vacation protection...it is worth the price.  

Edited by CRUZGAL53

We always get this and are upgraded to Platinum Protection. That came in really handy when we had to cancel at pretty much the last minute due to a sick cat. The cancel for any reason (a sick cat probably isn't a covered reason under any travel policy) worked perfectly. I filled out the forms and sent them in to the third party. Third party denied the claim since it wasn't a covered reason. Princess issued a credit to our account for the full amount, which we used to book and go on a different sailing. I was very happy with the process.

1 hour ago, Sea Hag said:

We always get this and are upgraded to Platinum Protection. That came in really handy when we had to cancel at pretty much the last minute due to a sick cat. The cancel for any reason (a sick cat probably isn't a covered reason under any travel policy) worked perfectly. I filled out the forms and sent them in to the third party. Third party denied the claim since it wasn't a covered reason. Princess issued a credit to our account for the full amount, which we used to book and go on a different sailing. I was very happy with the process.

The Platinum Protection has the advantage of the Cancel for ANY Reason. The weakness of the policy is the medical is only $20,000 (standard policy is $10,000),;is a secondary policy (you first file with your primary policy) and there is no waiver of pre-existing illnesses.  Check posts in the insurance board, and you will read that $20,000 is not enough for many health incidents. 

This past year my wife and I had a group policy with secondary coverage. Both of us had a small claim. The process was a nuisance and took over 6 months for our primary and the secondary policies to reimburse us. 

Normally we purchase a primary Trip Cancellation policy with at least $100,000 medical. We are in our 60s and the policy is always less expensive than the princess policy. The Princess Protection needs to be sent to drydock and refreshed. Check out the insurance board!

Bob

PVP is secondary, but I have had many, many claims over the years and never had a single issue being reimbursed for whatever my primary insurance doesn’t cover (generally a co-pay). Thiw year, after being sick for over a month on the Sapphire Princess in Southeast Asia and four medical visits as well as equipment rental, plus suitcase damage on a Princess transfer and an item left behind on a Princess EZ Air flight due to short connection time, I will have a full time job for a couple of months getting it all filed. 

2 hours ago, CRUZGAL53 said:

We have friends who incurred a very large doctor bill on the ship. She was in the medical 19  days of a 30 day cruise. She had Princess vacation protection and when she got home filed the claim. It took a couple months but between her insurance and Princess insurance, she got back 100% (except for the amt paid for the vac protection). I got the flu last year on the ship and the doctor bill was about 400.00. Again between my insurance and Princess' I got back 100% (it only took a couple weeks for mine). We ALWAYS purchase Princess vacation protection...it is worth the price.  

I have also been satisfied with the insurance.  I had to go to the medical center on at least two Princess cruises and ended up with a large bill-one for over $5,000.00 when I had to stay in their hospital overnight.  In both cases,  I was paid back every cent as soon as I filed the necessary paperwork.  My heart doctor was very impressed with the file that I brought back from the medical center as I asked for a copy of everything they did for me.  

I would only book Princess insurance if my normal health insurance covers me outside of the US. Mine covers me at 50% and due to that, I book a 3rd party insurance. I had a recent "stop" (not overnight) at an ER and the bill is running $5000. $10K or $20K coverage that Princess's insurance offers will not go far if something serious happens.

Or I would book Princess insurance in addition to another travel insurance for the cancel for no reason coverage.

Edited by Coral

We have purchased Princess cruise insurance (upgraded to Platinum) for many years now due to mom's age (88). Her medicare advantage covers her emergency medical needs outside of USA.  Last year on a B2B (a few land days in between) cruise mom developed a fever and saw ship doctor.  We ended up came home at the end of first cruise and cancelled the second cruise.  

Once we sent in health insurer's EOB  it took about 2 weeks to get the co-pay portion of the check.  The trip interruption claim did take a bit longer, think someone dropped the ball. But once I called to follow up, examiner got on it right away. We received 100% for additional expenses incurred.  For the cancelled second cruise we got 100% refund within 3 weeks.   It was  easy process and not much follow up required.  Really night and day compared to trying to get any refund from a credit card insurance.

11 hours ago, rbslos18 said:

The Platinum Protection has the advantage of the Cancel for ANY Reason. The weakness of the policy is the medical is only $20,000 (standard policy is $10,000),;is a secondary policy (you first file with your primary policy) and there is no waiver of pre-existing illnesses.  Check posts in the insurance board, and you will read that $20,000 is not enough for many health incidents. 

This past year my wife and I had a group policy with secondary coverage. Both of us had a small claim. The process was a nuisance and took over 6 months for our primary and the secondary policies to reimburse us. 

Normally we purchase a primary Trip Cancellation policy with at least $100,000 medical. We are in our 60s and the policy is always less expensive than the princess policy. The Princess Protection needs to be sent to drydock and refreshed. Check out the insurance board!

Bob

Each case is different.  Many of us would be very disappointed to have the Princess Travel Protection go away.  NO policy is perfect for all.  We make sure our medical coverage including costs of med evac (which varies depending on where you are traveling) is high in addition to the travel protections provided by the Princess policy.  The cost of one third party primary coverage to cover our needs is always higher and is a duplication of insurance coverage we currently have.  Repeat - each case is different.  The devil is in the details.

Thanks to all who posted about the claim process.  Good to know about all the documentation that is needed and the time it takes to get the settlements.

More examples, please 🙂

17 hours ago, GottaLuvCruising said:

It's inconvenient because the insurance is secondary payor.  I saw the ship doctor last month (Dec 17th, I think) for bronchitis and a got a z-pack.  Total for doctor and Rx was $168.  I paid it and filed the claims with my own health insurance and am waiting for the EOB which I need to file with the Princess insurance.  I'd pay extra for it to be primary payor and avoid this hassle.  

ALSO...after you see the doctor, the summary is delivered to your stateroom.  WHILE YOU ARE STILL ONBOARD, ask for the full medical record.  You will need it when you file the claim and after the cruise they charge an admin fee to get a copy.  

I will second getting the FULL medical record while onboard.  We did not do this for a flu episode and our personal insurance would not process (i.e., give us the denial) until we had proper ICD10 codes for the illness.  The summary we had just gave the medicines we received and noted the medical visits.  It all worked out fine, but it was a lengthy process and would have been so much easier if we had the proper paperwork from the beginning. 

We have used the insurance (Platinum level) three separate times - sick onboard and a visit to medical (as mentioned above), cancel for any reason, and cancel for a covered reason.  In each of the three situations, they paid completely as expected.  It works for us.   

I recently got ill on the first day of a 28 day Hawaii/Tahiti cruise.  I ended up in the ships infirmary for 5 days until we reached our first port of Hilo, Hawaii.  The ship put us off there and told us "everything will be taken care of for you".  It was not!!! 

Since my husband is somewhat handicapped (uses a mobility scooter), he needs a accessible hotel room which will accommodate his scooter.  They did get him a room but that was the end of it.  He had problems with transportation back and forth to the hospital to be with me and there was no one to assist him with transfers.

We booked our return air ourselves and made it to the airport.

No where in the "short description" of the insurance that Princess provides does it tell you that hotel cost + transportation is limited to $100 per day....In fact you can only "really" find out what is covered if you talk to the insurance carrier and ask for a full description of the policy, AND each state's exceptions.    They put my husband in a very expensive hotel room and then would not cover the cost (limited to $100 per day including transfers)  Also, he had to use cabs instead of any cheaper transportation, because he uses a mobility scooter.

The insurance also did not cover the cost of luggage for the airline flight.  It seems that anyone who is traveling will have luggage with them, so why isn't that covered?

ALSO, no food is covered!   I understand that food can be expensive but I was disappointed that it was not covered at all not even on a per day limit.

DO NOT THINK THAT THE 11 PAGE "Princess Vacation Protection" describes it all.  You need to get the description of coverage from Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company and affiliated Companies, Columbus, OH to know what is and what is not covered.

It also took 3 months to get my refund.  Now I am trying to get back the port fees (which were not covered by the insurance) from Princess directly.  Usually when a port is missed, the port fees are returned (sometimes while you are still on the ship)  Princess has not answered my request yet so I don't know if they will make a refund, but since I missed 8 of the ports (and could only enjoy the first port of Hilo, Hawaii from my hospital bed)  I think that I should get a refund of some of the fees.

My medical expenses were covered 100% by my medical insurance and I received my refund in 4 weeks.  

Because we are seniors the cost of private insurance is about double that of Princess Vacation Protection, but at least I will know what is and what is not covered and then I can make an informed choice.

That is my actual experience and it was recent,  October 23, 2018

• Like 1

We have always gotten the insurance on our cruises but have only had to use it once.  My son lives in Green Bay and our cruise was out of LA.  LA had one of those once in a 100 year rain storms and his flight to LA was cancelled.  This was the day before the actual cruise.  The airline rerouted him to Phoenix and he spent one night there and then they flew him into Ontario Airport in California.  Cab ride to port of LA was over $175.  Insurance covered hotel room, food and cab ride with no questions asked.  We were very happy with how quickly we were reimbursed.

54 minutes ago, CRUISEWITHH said:

I recently got ill on the first day of a 28 day Hawaii/Tahiti cruise.  I ended up in the ships infirmary for 5 days until we reached our first port of Hilo, Hawaii.  The ship put us off there and told us "everything will be taken care of for you".  It was not!!! 

I am so sorry about your experience! I hope you have recovered from your illness. Sorry your trip was ruined and more importantly - it was more stressful than it needed to be.

I am not a fan of the coverages of Princess insurance. It is very limited. I think it takes one of these situations which make people look very closely at coverages. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DormMom said:

I have also been satisfied with the insurance.  I had to go to the medical center on at least two Princess cruises and ended up with a large bill-one for over $5,000.00 when I had to stay in their hospital overnight.  In both cases,  I was paid back every cent as soon as I filed the necessary paperwork.  My heart doctor was very impressed with the file that I brought back from the medical center as I asked for a copy of everything they did for me.  

There are three issues. The fact the insurance is secondary coverage makes it only operative AFTER one files a claim with ones primary insurance. This is merely a nuisance.

The larger issue is the coverage maximum is $20,000 with Platinum and $10,000 with the standard policy.  In this day and age I believe this is inadequate. Has anyone recently had a hospital stay for a few days for under $10,000?   

Lastly, the $25,000/$50,000 evacuation protection seems on the low side for many parts of the world.

The stories told on the Cruise/Travel Insurance Board are helpful. Caveat Emptor

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

Bob

• Like 1

I used Princess insurance last cruise.  First off, my flight was cancelled and I had to find a hotel.  It was a good thing that we had two nights before our cruise.  They covered me for the hotel and extra meals under trip interruption.  I then had to visit the medical centre and was promptly reimbursed when I got home.  The hotel reimbursement took a little longer, but I was covered for it all.

We booked our cruise last July and signed up for Princess platinum insurance. It states if you have a claim for an illness you had previously been treated for sixty days before insurance was paid for, it will not be covered. My final payment for the cruise is due in March so does that mean any illness I’m treated for sixty days before  final payment in March would not be covered or is it sixty days when I originally booked cruise last July?

We used the princess protection last year with a flight delay...Our FLL flight was cancelled so we decided to drive home to Carolina from Lauderdale rather than sit in the airport...we rented a car..stayed in a hotel in Savannah overnight...had dinner and drinks...submitted all receipts and got paid back for all of it from the insurance...including our drinks we had with dinner....ALWAYS get Princess insurance

I have 2 very different experiences;

1)  I had booked a cruise for my mother and myself several years ago. The doctor scheduled her for surgery after final payment date. We did not know that was going to happen. I received a credit for a future cruise we within 2 yrs or refund after that. Unfortunately since I paid for 2 rooms, one from my mom / sister and 1 for me I, only received my money back after the 2 yr period. They sent my mom / sisters money to my mom who never returned it to me. But she needed it more than me so that was OK

2)  British Airlines had a scheduling error. 700 flights were affected last summer. In a panic I called Princess from San Francisco Airport as I had EZair. They said they would refund my money for the entire cruise and flight immediately. But what I wanted was help getting to London. They were unable to do that. still in a panic, I ran to American Airlines as they are also part of one world. They took my nonstop premium economy ticket, turned it in to 2 economy tickets with a stop over in Charlotte. I was not happy with a stopover but I got to the ship in time. in that I had bought the upgraded ticket through EZair I contacted Princess Customer Service. They were unwilling or unable to give me any assistance because I got to the ship.

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 5:02 PM, GottaLuvCruising said:

Well, color me shocked!  Today I got a check from my health insurance reimbursing me for my care on board the Royal Princess.  No need to file with the travel insurance, but I still wish Princess' product was primary payor.  

3 minutes ago, GottaLuvCruising said:

Well, color me shocked!  Today I got a check from my health insurance reimbursing me for my care on board the Royal Princess.  No need to file with the travel insurance, but I still wish Princess' product was primary payor.  

There was a chart once that showed that if one has a major medical situation, having travel insurance as secondary actually helps more. I wish I could still find it. Remember though - if you did have a major medical situation, Princess's medical limitations is very "limited". Glad you were covered! You have good health insurance!

• Like 1

On 1/20/2019 at 12:57 PM, TERESAh said:

We booked our cruise last July and signed up for Princess platinum insurance. It states if you have a claim for an illness you had previously been treated for sixty days before insurance was paid for, it will not be covered. My final payment for the cruise is due in March so does that mean any illness I’m treated for sixty days before  final payment in March would not be covered or is it sixty days when I originally booked cruise last July?

If you paid for the insurance in July (not just added/signed up for it) - it wold use the July date. Most just add it to their booking when they first book but don't pay for it when they book.

Sounds like in your case March.

33 minutes ago, Coral said:

There was a chart once that showed that if one has a major medical situation, having travel insurance as secondary actually helps more. I wish I could still find it. Remember though - if you did have a major medical situation, Princess's medical limitations is very "limited". Glad you were covered! You have good health insurance!

So much of it depends on your situation.  Over 65 or under? What does your primary medical plan cover out of the country? Out of network coverage? Deductibles?  Maximum lifetime coverage? If you are under 65, secondary can often be better, especially for a large claim.  If you are on medicare, primary is often better.  If you have a small claim, primary is often easier, if not better at any age.

Here is a link to some good information on a respected insurance broker's site.  Maybe this is what you were referring to?

https://tripinsurancestore.com/how-primary-and-secondary-travel-insurance-medical-coverage-works/

• Like 1