Why book a suite? If too many Pinnacles?

Teacher42

The kids are just as welcome in the SL/CK as the P's and even more so if they are staying in a suite.  The problem is not with the kids most times but with the parents who do not control their kids.  We have run into that in the CK also.  But then we have seen adults who are worse than kids in the CK also.  If the P's do not want any kids around then they need to go to an adult only cruise line, or maybe they need to remember how their kids acted at all the ages.  We travel with my granddaughter, who is not 11, and she is polite and kind to all but gets hurt when there are those P's who give her dirty looks because she is in the CK where she is more entitled to be than they are.  Sorry about the rant but we are trying to raise a kind, thoughtful young girl in a kind and thoughtful young lady and so far we seem to be doing a pretty good job.  It just gets discouraging when you meet people who judge before getting to know you.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I believe, if you poll the P’s, the majority don’t enjoy kids in the SL/CK. 

My wife and I and our two generally well behaved toddlers received many dirty looks from the pinnacles on our September cruise.  Also, when they swarm they are very territorial as well.  

• Like 3

After our experience on the Harmony  suite cruiser we are now exploring other options such as Celebrity and MSC, that being said it looks like RCCL is not having any problems  booking  the suites. This thread is good for people to realize getting suites perks are being shared with pinnacles 

Edited by alexkrn46
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm not a P, NSPP, Pineapple, Pit or even close. The three times we have cruised Sky or Star class we had no issues with any venue. The Star class won't have any issues because the genie will handle it.

While I don't at all doubt that there have been issues, they seem to be very, very limited. In fact, I have heard no one say they had an issue on the Symphony TA, which was after the President's cruise debacle and after Royal made some significant changes to the venues and the process for booking CK. I just think the issue is being overblown when it seems to occur once or twice a year out of over 200 Oasis-class sailings a year. Of course, if it happens to be your cruise its a 100% occurrence. 

We have a Sky class booked in a GS on the Allure transatlantic in Fall 2020. I will be interested to see what changes by then.

mac_tlc

• Like 1

Dear All, Thank you for your feed-back on NSPP and cruise dates and alternatives. It appears that we are sort of stuck with a non-refundable deposit of $700, which you all so ' nicely' educated us in our other thread "BEWARE RCCL".  Had it been a refundable deposit we would be on the phone today cancelling this cruise on Symphony due to the problems you have elucidated in this thread. Why take a chance with RCCL/RCI , when other just as nice options exists.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andy C said:

Celebrity is wonderful.  On Celebrity if you are Zenith and you don't pay for a suite you do not have access to the suite class amenities.  This is eventually what is going to happen on Royal.  Want suite perks?  PAY FOR ONE.  

Sorry this happened to you too.  Glad you piped up.  Many on CC who try to say these are just rumors (and call us liars) are themselves NSPPs.  

It's a 5-6 year old rumor.  Any idea on a timeline?  

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. 😉

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I believe, if you poll the P’s, the majority don’t enjoy kids in the SL/CK. 

Count me in that group.  

I'll bet its not just the Pins. 😉

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

we, DW and 20 yo DS,  book a suite for cabin size, as we like to hang out in it and the large veranda-we love the CK and all the benefits too.....we have always sailed during spring/fall/winter break.....when Pins usually don't sail....we were just on a 12/13 harmony sailing ( Andy C and his family were on that one too)...no PIN issues...there were PINS but not in mass...in fact some Pins shared their fellow Pins feel entitled over suite guests.......

go and enjoy the larger room/veranda and all the benefits they come with.....avoid off season sailing and you will not have a problem

1 minute ago, sisocialworker said:

I'm sure no one likes kids screaming, running around and poorly supervised anywhere?  Kids fault-no, parents fault-yes....Oh, Andy C's kids are well behaved in the Ck and SL

Maybe it's just overly sensitive parents then. 😉😋

• Like 1

We do suites most of our cruises were on navigator and liberty with very few pinnacles, last one about 7 weeks ago had dozens, only issue was suite lounge was packed by 11am this was on oasis , had no issues other than that no problem getting seats in suite lounge or time we wanted in CK. There were a few families with children.

1 hour ago, lovescats5 said:

We have seen many P's over the course of our 3 cruises and they have been less than welcoming in most cases.  We solved the problem by booking a suite with a genie and then we get to do everything before them.  It is kinda like rubbing their noses in the dirt and when we meet nice ones we are gracious but when you meet the snobby ones it is fun to pull rank, so to speak.  We have seen, in most cases, that the suites do have the edge over the P's and this was on Oasis and Anthem.  We do cruise off season and pick times when there are fewer kids on board, which is not a problem for my granddaughter as she likes to meet new kids but not hordes of them.

We’re sad you feel you have to “rub noses in the dirt.” Many P’s we know book GS or above. On the Oasis ships, they book Sky or Star Class Suites for comfort. Also, they cruise during the holidays +  in high season. They enjoy cruising + meeting people. Yes, some P’s, as well as, first time suite cruisers are not friendly. As P’s having to fly to the ports a couple of days before the cruise, we enjoy staying in GS + above for the space. On the Oasis Class ships,  we stay in the Star Class RLS or in the OLS on Deck 17. We have had Genies 15 times on the Oasis Class Ships. We are not better than someone on Deck 2. Back in the 70’s, 80’s, and 90’s, our family of 4 shared one Deck 2 inside room for many years earning our P’s status 1 cruise at a time, + we treat everyone with respect. We don’t like window seats, we don’t save seats, + we live a very frugal life back home. What’s gross is seeing adults + children going through the buffet lines in the WJ, SL, + Cl putting food in their mouths with their fingers, then touching the next tong, + putting food back into the buffet containers.  We wish the ships wouldn’t allow self serving in the buffet lines.  

I'm one of those rare creatures who is a pinnacle who traditionally stays in a full suite. So, I have wrestled with the thought of which takes precedence. Pinnacles have earned certain benefits through their years of loyalty and monies spent and suite guest have opted to pay for what they anticipate will be a very special experience. Undoubtedly, there are a few pinnacles and few suite guests who over-estimate their importance in the whole scheme of things but most are quite pleasant people.

Pinnacles tend to gravitate toward each other. We are often acquaintances from past sailings and certainly have a common bond. Seeing pinnacles group together is understandable although it was probably less obvious when there was only handful of pinnacles. It seems that when the original pinnacle were given suite perks they were thrilled with the benefits while some of the newer pinnacles tend to take them as an undeniable right. 

What I think is the bottom is that when push comes to shove the suite guests will still be in the suite lounge and pinnacles elsewhere. When suite guests petitioned Miami to allow children in the lounge they got their way.  A few pinnacle benefits have already disappeared and eventually there could be a new level installed above pinnacle who are afforded suite benefits. On most sailings there are no problems but on the TA's and President's cruise there have been challenges. I don't know what will happen but I think we will see pinnacle benefits diminish before those of the suites.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

My goodness, I never knew Pinnacles were so dangerous. How do we avoid them? Is there some way to identify Piccacles? Do they look different? Do they have accents or use specific words? Are they contagious? Do they have a secret handshake? 

I find quite distressing the fact that they dislike children. If that’s the case, might they be in favor of revoking child labor laws? That would help.

As a curiosity, is there any data or hard numbers to support the charges and claims in this discussion? Overloaded lounges, views on children, stinginess, behaviors, etc? Or is this just another opportunity for Internet ranting and outrage? 

Edited by El Abuelo
Clarification
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

I'm not a P, NSPP, Pineapple, Pit or even close. The three times we have cruised Sky or Star class we had no issues with any venue. The Star class won't have any issues because the genie will handle it.

While I don't at all doubt that there have been issues, they seem to be very, very limited. In fact, I have heard no one say they had an issue on the Symphony TA, which was after the President's cruise debacle and after Royal made some significant changes to the venues and the process for booking CK. I just think the issue is being overblown when it seems to occur once or twice a year out of over 200 Oasis-class sailings a year. Of course, if it happens to be your cruise its a 100% occurrence. 

We have a Sky class booked in a GS on the Allure transatlantic in Fall 2020. I will be interested to see what changes by then.

mac_tlc

You and your wife have fun and enjoy that TA cruise.  So jealous as it will be 5 years before we can do some TA and TP cruises.  I love sea days.

I had no problems getting prime dining time (630pm) and seats in SL this past Oct on the Allure.  Actually have not had very many problems since we found those awesome CL cabins.  We cruise in June, July and Oct so some cruises have more P than others.  

Hope to see you two on another cruise in the future. 

Back in 2016 we were on Oasis and a lady and her husband got on the elevator and had their "Pin" displaying their status. They said nothing nor made any facial expressions but both my wife and I felt tension coming from them.  Once we went our way and they went their's we immediately commented that the must have been one of those "Pinnacles" that have a bazillion cruise points.  She even said something to the effect that "she probably thinks we are steerage".

Of course, the tension and our pre-conceived notions about their thoughts were simply figments of our imagination.  For some unknown reason we were intimidated and it was uncomfortable.  I feel like this underlying animosity on display by some is born out of this uncomfortable intimidation.  Like any other group there are good and bad apples and maybe they do believe they have earned the right to bask in their earned (can't argue with it) loyalty.  I don't think it is prudent to cast the wide angled aspersions that seem so prevalent on this forums at times.  

On the Oasis class ships yes the pins get treated better. On the Allure the first lunch on ci, we had to wait while the pins got served, after waiting a long time I was served raw salmon.

I feel it is like entering an established club were every one knows each other and you are the out sider. Not a welcoming experienced.

Also vacations are precious to us since time off is hard to get, while pins this is a lifestyle. We are interested in the cruise experience while for the pins it is a social event.This changes the experience 

• Thanks 2

Guess it depends on the ship. Last cruise there were 8 Pinnacle cruises.  One suite and Pinnacle perk was breakfast in Chops.  We went nearly every day and the place was never more than 20% full.  No problem getting a table regardless if suite guest or Pinnacle, OR BOTH!   

M

4 hours ago, Bradison said:

Back in 2016 we were on Oasis and a lady and her husband got on the elevator and had their "Pin" displaying their status. They said nothing nor made any facial expressions but both my wife and I felt tension coming from them.  Once we went our way and they went their's we immediately commented that the must have been one of those "Pinnacles" that have a bazillion cruise points.  She even said something to the effect that "she probably thinks we are steerage".

Of course, the tension and our pre-conceived notions about their thoughts were simply figments of our imagination.  For some unknown reason we were intimidated and it was uncomfortable.  I feel like this underlying animosity on display by some is born out of this uncomfortable intimidation.  Like any other group there are good and bad apples and maybe they do believe they have earned the right to bask in their earned (can't argue with it) loyalty.  I don't think it is prudent to cast the wide angled aspersions that seem so prevalent on this forums at times.  

If the couple in the elevator never said anything or made any facial expression, why did you think there was any tension?     

M

So this message is aimed at the OP, who has expressed concerns about not getting or being able to enjoy the full value of their Suite benefits. I just want to say, from someone who has infrequently had the opportunity to sail in Suite class during off-peak, inexpensive cruises which do tend to draw Crown & Anchor members of all tiers, it's worth noting that the Pinnacle guests have in no way impeded our ability to enjoy ourselves on our cruise. When the Concierge Lounge is rather full, they will generally open it up to other areas wherever possible (depending on the ship). But honestly, if it were absolutely ram-packed, you can raise your concerns with the Concierge staff themselves and I am 100% confident they will find a way to ensure you enjoy your free beverages etc somewhere comfortable.

We actually tend NOT to go to the lounge as neither of us drink alcoholic beverages, but we do still pop in from time to time if we need help with anything, and the Concierge is always more than happy to help us. We also found that all staff around the entire ship would go above and beyond to assist us. We never felt to ourselves being treated poorly compared to Pinnacles in any way, shape or form. In fact, some of the cruise staff have gone out of their way to make sure that we are enjoying ourselves as they tend to find Suite guests a bit less 'demanding' (not speaking for everyone here, on either side, but at least in our experience this has been the case). 

I hope you can think positively about your future trip and if you have any concerns at all whatsoever during the actual cruise, just raise it with the Concierge. They will always follow up with you or find a solution. There has been a range of issues we've had, mostly minor issues, and Concierge has ALWAYS been able to resolve it very quickly and to our satisfaction. I appreciate that some people have had and will continue to have issues -- and I do appreciate that a few of the cruises we have been on, have been absolutely crammed with Pinnacles. But honestly, we've not actually had any issues that arose from that. We've been invited to all of the Suite-only events which are always fantastic, gotten to meet all of the staff at those events, and had top-notch support and service from all staff everywhere we've been.

On the negative side, I will say that on our last cruise as Suite guests, there was a couple who were Pinnacle (and not sailing in a Suite), who were just the most horrible people to the cruise staff I have ever seen. We went to the special Suite breakfast on the first morning and never went back, because of how they treated the staff. They actually cringed when a staff member gently tapped the woman on the shoulder when she was bringing something over, then impolitely brushed her shoulder off like she was getting rid of 'filth'. They both were verbally treating the staff like absolute dirt, implying they were idiots and that nothing was good enough for them. I went out of my way to assure the same waitress that our food was delicious, that the service was impeccable, and that everything, EVERYTHING they were doing, was TOP NOTCH and that we were SO GRATEFUL for her help. I said it as loud as I could because the other couple were just horrible. Anyway, we never went back to the Suite breakfast to avoid that particular couple, because I couldn't trust myself to keep my mouth shut if I saw them behave like that again!! (Sadly I did see them behave that way again, several times during the cruise, but just had to walk away...!) That being said, we had FANTASTIC room service for free as Suite guests, plus we enjoyed going to breakfast in other venues etc. So it didn't impact our enjoyment of the cruise at all. (And we could have gone back, and I could have given her an earful -- I just prefer to avoid confrontation!)

Dear John,  We were on the Allure last summer 2017 and had a wonderful time in CK. This summer on the Allure something was amiss in the CK, overcrowded, overworked, soiled uniforms. We decided to not return to the Allure and instead booked the Symphony. Departure morning all suite guests assembled in the SL and a lovely couple who had been on the Allure for one month was saying their goodbyes to the staff, when the CK chef came out of his galley to voice his goodbye to them. The Chef said "See you soon" and she said to the chef , "Yes, but not on this ship!"  What was it? We thought nothing of it until recently reading these boards about Pinnacles. They are the bane of the suite booking passengers. We do not wish to gamble with our vacation time, hoping there will not be many NSPP on board the cruise we pick. Thank you for your consideration.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Who gets the better treatment from the crew...suite passengers or pinnacles?

This is hard to say. I think the crew are aware who is actually paying the big $$ on each cruise, and who are not. We had a frank discussion with our cabin attendant on one of our cruises, who was well aware how some (NOT ALL!) Pinnacle guests, who were travelling in very low value cabins, were behaving, compared to the Suite guests, who had paid $$$. But outwardly, they treat everyone the same -- to be fair, even if you are not staying in a Suite, or are Pinnacle, it's not exactly as if the staff treat people poorly. We have had top notch service staying in a Balcony recently on Symphony of the Seas, just as good as when we sailed on Rhapsody in an Owners Suite. We were Diamond at the time, so not like we had gold passes or anything. I think they'll treat them both equally as well, because ultimately they want all guests to have a good experience.