Pick pockets

Joyfull Traveller

2 minutes ago, Joyfull Traveller said:

Hi again

We've heard that pick pockets are rife in the areas that we will be cruising on the Koningsdam.  Any suggestions of personal safety and prevention would be appreciated.  TIA

2 minutes ago, Joyfull Traveller said:

Hi again

We've heard that pick pockets are rife in the areas that we will be cruising on the Koningsdam.  Any suggestions of personal safety and prevention would be appreciated.  TIA

For women, check out cross body bags from PacSafe and Travelon (Kevlar material is the best). 

Men should not put wallets in ANY exterior pocket. Those little kids with bandaged fingers work very quickly.

NEVER EVER carry your passport off the ship (unless required by local authorities.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are pick pockets in any tourist area.

Most tourists are oblivious to what is going on.

I carry my wallet in front pants pocket.  When I carry my passport (most times), I carry it in a different pocket.

I also PAY ATTENTION to my surroundings.  I look around, if I see something sketchy, I focus on it.  And funny thing is, most times, the person leaves the area.

Too many tourists have the face in their guide book, or phone.  Or cluster around with all looking inwards.  With bugling back pockets and open purses (yes, I have seen this MANY times), on the outside of the cluster.

I do agree with the suggestion of the cross body bag.  And get one with a cable in the strap.  In some countries, they will cut the strap and grab the bag.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wear a silk passport wallet crossbody, inside my shirt (where I have my CC, money, passport if needed). I never carry these items on my exterior. Even my iphone is kept in an inside jacket pocket. Been very fortunate that in my many trips, I have not been a victim of pickpockets. I do carry a small purse (worn crossbody) in which I keep daily essentials but nothing of value.

Do try to maintain some awareness of your surroundings - these thieves tend to target those not paying attention. Safety is not an issue in Europe (not sure where you are cruising) - but loss of valuables by crafty thieves would be a big hassle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Joyfull Traveller said:

Hi again

Pick pockets are everywhere.

We carry an umbrella everywhere we go.  We use it for rain and the hot sun.

When anyone gets close, we make sure they "see" the umbrella...it seems to deter pick pockets. :classic_smile:

• Thanks 2

I disagree about not carrying your passport.  If something happens while you are on shore, there you are in a foreign country with no passport.  Not a very wise decision. Why have a passport if you're going to leave it on the ship?  I put mine in an around the waist money belt that sits inside the waist of my pants, along with my money and credit card (don't carry more than one!)

19 hours ago, Joyfull Traveller said:

Hi again

If you are suddenly in the midst of some sort of exciting happenings, assume that a team is trying to distract you to pick your pockets. E.g., someone trying to help get pigeon droppings off the shoulder of your jacket. Someone dropping coins on the pavement in front of you. (I just recently had that one in a street market in Madrid. A sharp elbow to the body of the one behind me who was trying to get into my [buttoned, zipped] pocket convinced them to move on to another victim.) 

In general, as others have said, be continually aware. As you stand with the other 45 persons on your ship excursion, trying to hear what the guide is saying about the cathedral in front of you, try not to be on the outside of the group. Or pay attention behind you and later ask one of your fellow passengers what the guide was saying. 

No need to be paranoid, but be aware.

• Like 1

We don't find pick pockets are worse in the cruise ports we visit than any other tourist area/large city.

We remain aware of our surroundings, don't wear expensive jewelry, don't have large amounts of cash, but do carry our passports. Touch wood, but never had a problem in over 40 years of International travel.

Pick pockets are rampant in some areas.   Assume you are being stalked all the time and act accordingly.  Very common is one or more persons will try to distract you.  Be aware of that.  Like already said, for guys, don't carry a wallet in any pocket (front or back).  

Street crime is every where. There is no one answer to it and "you" will not stop it. Around the world or at your local market, the only thing you can do is DON'T LOOK LIKE A VICTIM. Walk with your head up and keep looking around. If possible, never be on your own, the more in your party the better. Women, purse straps cross body, purse on the side of your friend. Men, wallet in your FRONT pants pocket. Don't flash cash or use designer shopping bags. As one guy says to another man as they race through a forest with a bear on their heels, "I'm not trying to out run the bear, I'm trying to out run you". Make the bad guy pass over you and pick on someone else. 

Pay attention to your surroundings. Honestly, if you are aware of what is going on around you, it is difficult for someone to pick pocket you. My husband and I have stopped pick pocketers twice, just by knowing what was going on around us. Don't take any valuables that you don't need for the day off the ship. and Don't take any extra money with. Only take with what you need for the day. 

Neighbours cruise round the Med four or five times a year, and haven't had trouble- until last summer when the bird dropping incident happened to them in Barcelona. They were both wearing gold chains, and it took seconds for the chains and the thieves to be gone… 

Give them extra trouble by fastening your pockets with a safety pin on the inside of your clothes; take only as many €€ as you need that day and no fancy handbags- a battered carrier bag to hold your camera. Hide your credit card. I have a neck purse if I'm going to buy something special in a port.

Passports are worth thousand of €€ so take extra care if you are taking it ashore.

• Like 1

Front pocket is better than a back pocket but really not safe.  I have a BIL who had his wallet chained to his belt and in his front pocket.   Last time he reached for his wallet only the chain was still there.   These pickpockets are good at their jobs.   

When visiting one of the bad rep areas, I hand everything over to Mrs Ldubs so I don't have to worry about it.  She puts it somewhere that requires partial disrobing to access.   :classic_ohmy:

Edited by ldubs
Typo -- oops.
  • Haha 1

Pick pockets and purse snatchers are a problem in many parts of the world wherever tourists tend to congregate.  Most professional thieves look for the "easy mark" so one should make sure they are not "easy."  We learned a few tricks from a retired Secret Service Agent who became our friend while on a River Cruise.  These are simply things that work...although nothing is 100 percent perfect.

Lets start with a basic rule.  Do not carry things you do not need.  I normally carry my wallet, cash, 1 major credit card (others stay locked in the cabin safe) and 1 ATM/Debit card.    I put two rubber bands around my wallet, which keeps things from falling out..but more importantly makes it very difficult for a pick pocket to slide my wallet our of the pocket.  I only carry the wallet in a front pocket which I secure with a large safety pin (like a diaper pin).  

DW also will only carry what she must have...and leaves everything else locked in cabin.  When she carries a purse it is "cross shoulder" and she further secures her purse zipper with a large safety pin.  A good thief can open your purse zipper (or clasp) very easily.  But when they have to deal with a safety pin it adds another step, takes time...and most thieves simply look for an easier mark.

One important point is not to carry things you do not need to have on your person.  That is why we are in the school (and this is debatable) of those who generally keep their Passports locked in the cabin safe.  We only carry our Passports when it is necessary....which is very rare.  Some countries, such as Russia make it a requirement.....but most countries could care less.  The case has been made that within the EU one is required to carry a Passport (unless they have other EU id) but that is something we choose to ignore.  If stopped by the Police we do have ID, and if they really want to see our Passports they are available on the ship.   Over our more then forty years of extensive International Travel and cruising we have known several folks who had their Passports stolen (or lost) which caused them a lot of grief (and money).  We have never, ever, met anyone who left their Passport locked in a cabin safe...who regretted that decision.

Hank

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jocap said:

Passports are worth thousand of €€ so take extra care if you are taking it ashore.

These days, passports are not worth as much.

Too hard to change things.  With chips, photos printed on the page, holographic overlays.

In most cases, the thief was going after the cash, and just happened to get the passport.

Edited by SRF

11 hours ago, SRF said:

These days, passports are not worth as much.

Too hard to change things.  With chips, photos printed on the page, holographic overlays.

In most cases, the thief was going after the cash, and just happened to get the passport.

According to some online sources a stolen Passport is worth (on average) about  $3500.  While this is certainly not near the $10,000 talked about a few years ago, it is still a pretty decent payday for a pickpocket.   And now, the target is often credit cards and debit cards.  We recently met a guy here in Puerto Vallarta (our winter home) who was mugged and had his wallet and phone stolen.  He credit card was "hit" for over $10,000 within the first hour.  

Hank

I don’t usually do product endorsements but this deserves a look when you are the shopping mood. An outfit called Clothing Arts sells what they label Pick Pocket Proof Pants. Also shirts, jackets, shorts but I have no experience with those. The PPPP are amazing. Comfortable, good pockets, and key front pockets are protected by two buttons on the outside. Then a zipper to get into the pocket. Then another zipper to get into the inner part of the pocket. It can be a real pain pulling out a few dollars for a tip or whatever, but these would challenge the most determined thief. I only need one pair as they can be washed in the cabin sink and hang dry overnight, but I do travel with two pair. My only complaint is that I had to wait months for each pair, both times they were backordered. Don’t try to buy right before you leave on a cruise!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

I don’t usually do product endorsements but this deserves a look when you are the shopping mood. An outfit called Clothing Arts sells what they label Pick Pocket Proof Pants. Also shirts, jackets, shorts but I have no experience with those. The PPPP are amazing. Comfortable, good pockets, and key front pockets are protected by two buttons on the outside. Then a zipper to get into the pocket. Then another zipper to get into the inner part of the pocket. It can be a real pain pulling out a few dollars for a tip or whatever, but these would challenge the most determined thief. I only need one pair as they can be washed in the cabin sink and hang dry overnight, but I do travel with two pair. My only complaint is that I had to wait months for each pair, both times they were backordered. Don’t try to buy right before you leave on a cruise!

Nice idea with one major flaw: those pesky kids with the bandaged fingers are starting to be seen in many major port cities.

12 hours ago, Hlitner said:

According to some online sources a stolen Passport is worth (on average) about  $3500.  While this is certainly not near the $10,000 talked about a few years ago, it is still a pretty decent payday for a pickpocket.   And now, the target is often credit cards and debit cards.  We recently met a guy here in Puerto Vallarta (our winter home) who was mugged and had his wallet and phone stolen.  He credit card was "hit" for over $10,000 within the first hour.  

Hank

Possibly, but the are not as easy to move.  I would bet that most of them end up in the next trash can.

Cash and cards are the target. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/29/2019 at 6:09 PM, Hlitner said:

He credit card was "hit" for over $10,000 within the first hour.  

Virtually all major credit card companies have zero liability protection. As long as he reports the theft promptly, he won't have to pay a penny. 

Even without zero liability protection, U.S. federal consumer protection law does not allow him to be held responsible for more than the first $50 of unauthorized charges, regardless of the total amount, as long as he promptly reports theft of the card.

On 1/28/2019 at 1:33 AM, ldubs said:

Like already said, for guys, don't carry a wallet in any pocket (front or back).  

I carry a chain wallet in my front pocket, that I purchased at Walmart for only $12. 

I always put the chain around a good sturdy leather belt - never around a belt loop, which can easily be cut or yanked loose by a pickpocket.

When my son traveled internationally some years ago, the chaperone had the boys all keep a “dummy” wallet in their back pocket. Old ID in it. Maybe $2.00. That way a pickpocket would think he had the real thing...of course the real wallet was in a front pocket. The dummy wallet was also the one they would give up if robbed.