Oceania to ban plastic drinking bottles

cbb

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

That plastic polution is coming from Asia and Africa - and all the virtue signaling by Oceania and whomever else isn't changing that.  Or making even a microscopic dent.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/06/90-of-plastic-polluting-our-oceans-comes-from-just-10-rivers/

That may be true, but the plastic itself was likely exported to them from Europe or North America, therefore the answer is in amending plastic regulation on those Continents.....even for exports.    

1 hour ago, StanandJim said:

That may be true, but the plastic itself was likely exported to them from Europe or North America, therefore the answer is in amending plastic regulation on those Continents.....even for exports.    

The only exports to Asia are things to be recycled and fewer and fewer of those.  They are packaged and meant to be recycled once they reach Asia.  No need to regulate recycles going to Asia as they are pretty much non-existent and unfortunately the enviro-wackos have forced way too many regulations on us already.  The pollution from Asia and Africa is generated there and flows down their rivers to the seas.  

Enough is enough with way too many regulations and costs here in the US that aren't worth the excessive amounts they cost.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, rallydave said:

The only exports to Asia are things to be recycled and fewer and fewer of those.  They are packaged and meant to be recycled once they reach Asia.  No need to regulate recycles going to Asia as they are pretty much non-existent and unfortunately the enviro-wackos have forced way too many regulations on us already.  The pollution from Asia and Africa is generated there and flows down their rivers to the seas.  

Enough is enough with way too many regulations and costs here in the US that aren't worth the excessive amounts they cost.

Agree 100%  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

That plastic polution is coming from Asia and Africa - and all the virtue signaling by Oceania and whomever else isn't changing that.  Or making even a microscopic dent.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/06/90-of-plastic-polluting-our-oceans-comes-from-just-10-rivers/

Totally true....even in the islands of the pacific too... the ocean is their garbage can from Hawaii to Borneo 

The bitter truth is what Flyer Talk said.... even if we in North America went 100 green,  no pollution  no green house  all electric and solar. society... it  would maybe cut down  the world problem by under 5%...   Probably like 1-2%.    total... thats sad..  

5 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Totally true....even in the islands of the pacific too... the ocean is their garbage can from Hawaii to Borneo 

The bitter truth is what Flyer Talk said.... even if we in North America went 100 green,  no pollution  no green house  all electric and solar. society... it  would maybe cut down  the world problem by under 5%...   Probably like 1-2%.    total... thats sad..  

Too bad that Oceania is just using this as a PR stunt with little real meaning. 

12 minutes ago, RJB said:

Too bad that Oceania is just using this as a PR stunt with little real meaning. 

Well in a lot of domestic ports it will have an effect,  In Hawaii   you could tell when a  ship had been in as the streets and roads, trails beaches  were littered with bottles... hundreds .   We used to tell people asking for directions to the main route...  just follow the bottle/trash   if it gets less your on the wrong road 

As for the bottle ban in National Parks, it really was a big problem.   So  in our back yard it will bear fruit... world wide we are Pi**ing in the wind.    Go visit Thailand, Philippine Melanesia,India, Bangladesh.... you have no idea  Over 1/2 the plastic  in the ocean comes from  fishing gear.    Look aa Maslow's  Hierarchy...  when your starving and cold   asthetic things like  the environment are way down the road....

23 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Well in a lot of domestic ports it will have an effect,  In Hawaii   you could tell when a  ship had been in as the streets and roads, trails beaches  were littered with bottles... hundreds .   We used to tell people asking for directions to the main route...  just follow the bottle/trash   if it gets less your on the wrong road.

Let's not lump all the islands into one. Perhaps that was so around your former home on the Big Island of Hawaii, but we have not found that to be the case here on Maui.

• Like 1

Words have meanings, and that is part of the issue here. People flippantly use the single word “ plastic “ for an entire array of different chemical compounds that in many cases have little in common. It’s like calling everything steel when actually referring to aluminum, tin, copper, brass, bronze, or steel. All of those materials have different recycling capacities and different recycling economics. 

Just one of the overriding issues of recycling some of those “ plastics “ is the current low cost of oil. Sad as it is, in many situations the costs of collecting, handling, transporting, and processing many of those compounds into new products is higher than buying virgin material from the refinery streams. Current oil prices, in fact, give many of those recyclables a negative worth.

This means that in most markets these materials are headed to the dump. Since some countries, both Egypt and some SE Asia countries come to mind, do little if any trash collection, those materials quickly find the waterways for their trips to the Sea. In that no one, except a few environmental wackos, are cheering for significantly higher crude oil prices so to help recycling economics, Switching to other recyclable materials or biodegradable materials may be our only short term option.

• Like 1

I hate paper straws. However, I just sampled plant-based biodegradable straws that are indistinguishable from plastic straws, which my club is going to buy from now on. They also have cup versions to replace plastic cups.

On 5/8/2019 at 10:01 AM, Silver Sweethearts said:

Let's not lump all the islands into one. Perhaps that was so around your former home on the Big Island of Hawaii, but we have not found that to be the case here on Maui.

I agree with you on this one! Were in our Condo we have in Kaanapali been here a month and to tell the truth even when cruise ships that come into port in Lahaina 

we haven’t seen all the plastic trash at all!

The last cruise ship has left for the season on May 10th. Now no place is perfect so along the Hwy in spots you see alittle, but recycling is a big plus here too!

As I have said I think O is going in the right direction and IMO is not a PR stunt!

Banning plastic is good for O and is good for our environment ‘

Denise😊🌺

• Like 2

15 hours ago, CraftyMomster2112 said:

Getting back to the water...has it improved or is O still giving out plastic bottles of water?

Was the water bad? 

On 5/6/2019 at 8:47 PM, cbb said:

friends on board Insignia now are reporting that there was a strong taste to the water that no one liked so evidently they are back to plastic bottles in the cabins and handing them out as passengers leave ship.

This is the only comment I've seen so far about how the water system tastes.  I would like very much to know what other opinions are.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CraftyMomster2112 said:

This is the only comment I've seen so far about how the water system tastes.  I would like very much to know what other opinions are.

I am curious also

I did see the water station in one of the crew supply closets on Marina   but they had not started the new system yet

It was suppose to be installed on April 19th  the day we disembarked

The day before  they had shut down the water shipwide  for a few hours so wondering if they were hooking up the system then

I am wondering what Cynthia (CBB) friends  were talking about  I thought  the system was going to be installed on Insignia in June  this yr  according to the article

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CraftyMomster2112 said:

I will bring my own straws, bring my own water or I will not go on Oceania at all. 

• Like 1