Oceania to ban plastic drinking bottles

cbb

The water purification process for water used in the turbines is a completely different ( added) process than that of drinking water! Completely! One won’t enjoy drinking that water stripped of near everything.

let’s not confuse processes!

40 minutes ago, Aloha 1 said:

My biggest concern is the system uses the desalinated water produced on board. That water has a much higher sodium content than the water found in Dasani, etc..That's a big concern for those who need to restrict salt intake. I cannot find anything on the Vero website that says they remove sodium from the water.

What do you drink onboard  now?

Do you eat anything cooked in water  or washed in ship's water?

29 minutes ago, BillPizzaiolo said:

Yes people could get germs from their own water bottles depending on who they kiss or if they touch a dirty handrail and then touch their face or touch the cap and threads of the bottle

I think I’d better stay home and touch nothing and kiss only myself :classic_biggrin:

What does Aloha think “desalination “ means?? Salts are reduced, not totally eliminated , to a healthy standard while maintaining a reasonable taste. Municipal water may be higher in some salts like calcium based ones that is from rich limestone basis than ocean desalinated water. 

The turbines use De- ionized water. Different critter.

My biggest issue is the quantity of these water bottles they give.  I generally pack 2 or 3 bottles for an all day tour.

I wonder if they will regulate their tour providers who will no longer pass out water to their guests. We did take the Silversea bottle home (Antarctica -- no plastic) - more as a souvenir.  I am sure that many an O bottle will be left behind, which creates another issue.image.thumb.jpeg.77298b4d69426873cb4a2d184e6b680e.jpeg

Hate to sound environmentally insensitive....but I always grab a plastic bottle of water when leaving the ship, drink it while touring, and drop it in the nearest garbage can before returning to the ship.  Maybe I can be trained to bring a reusable container back with me from shore excursions...but many times that bottle has been some really dirty places. 

I live in the land of no-plastic-straws already so I've heard all the environmental arguments (funny how no one talks about the cost saving benefits for the restaurants) and it's okay as long a restaurants wash the rims of their glasses thoroughly.  But I can't count the number of times I've received glasses with lipstick on the rim (in restaurants ashore AND on O).  Windstar already provides reusable bottles of water/sparkling water and it tastes dreadful.  Not looking forward to the experience on Oceania...

• Like 1

They have a similar set up in some of Marriott Executive Lounges.  They no longer have plastic bottles of water for you to take to the room.  You take a refillable bottle that is provided, fill it with your choice of water, take it to your room and return the bottle which is washed in their kitchen.  You get a new bottle each time.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, bitob said:

They have a similar set up in some of Marriott Executive Lounges.  They no longer have plastic bottles of water for you to take to the room.  You take a refillable bottle that is provided, fill it with your choice of water, take it to your room and return the bottle which is washed in their kitchen.  You get a new bottle each time.

Works for me.  And I'll use those paper straws.  I used them up through the 70's and had no problem with them.

7 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

My biggest issue is the quantity of these water bottles they give.  I generally pack 2 or 3 bottles for an all day tour.

I wonder if they will regulate their tour providers who will no longer pass out water to their guests. We did take the Silversea bottle home (Antarctica -- no plastic) - more as a souvenir.  I am sure that many an O bottle will be left behind, which creates another issue.image.thumb.jpeg.77298b4d69426873cb4a2d184e6b680e.jpeg

Interesting Paul.  We did Antarctica in 2017 on Seabourn and they had the usual plastic water bottles on board.  They did not have water bottles on tables for the days on shore in Antarctica and never thought about it until now but, since we were only on shore for about an hour and a half with temps around freezing, really no need for water during the on shore trips.

And, did bring my backpack and could have brought a plastic bottle of water should I have needed to and while I understand the no plastics on shore no mention was made on board as to not bringing water.

Edited by rallydave

21 hours ago, BillPizzaiolo said:

Are you sure of those facts?  From my experience desalinated water used on ships has no minerals and no salt because it is used in the turbines which would be damaged by those ingredients in H2O.  That's one reason why it tastes different from spring water.

Yes people could get germs from their own water bottles depending on who they kiss or if they touch a dirty handrail and then touch their face or touch the cap and threads of the bottle. Too much to worry about but fun to see how much time we can waste on line, trolling each other.   

Well, I went back and did some more research. My comment was based in great part on the numerous threads here on CC of cruisers talking about the issues they have had with swelling from sodium intake. Turns out, there IS a standard for the amount of sodium allowed in ship water, .006PPM. Bottled water has a little less but both are well below the limit of human intake. I stand corrected.

21 hours ago, pinotlover said:

What does Aloha think “desalination “ means?? Salts are reduced, not totally eliminated , to a healthy standard while maintaining a reasonable taste. Municipal water may be higher in some salts like calcium based ones that is from rich limestone basis than ocean desalinated water. 

The turbines use De- ionized water. Different critter.

Of course I know what desalinated water means. The original concern was that the remaining sodium content was far higher than bottle water. See my previous update.

On 2/1/2019 at 9:59 AM, doowopbob said:

Yes they do.  Just came back from cruise on Marina.  For the first part they had no straws at all, then you got the paper ones which to be honest I would rather have none.

That's odd we were on the Marina from 1/3 to 1/21 and there were plastic straws available. Sometimes you had to ask other times they were just given with the drink.

On 2/1/2019 at 11:35 AM, LHT28 said:

well  I guess i will have to see how they work with the milkshakes  & if not good  then will give up on milkshakes onboard :classic_ohmy:

The milk shakes and malts we tried on Marina were so thin there was no need for a straw. It was like drinking slightly thick milk. Awful!

Edited by Sea42

1 hour ago, Sea42 said:

The milk shakes and malts we tried on Marina were so thin there was no need for a straw. It was like drinking slightly thick milk. Awful!

oh that is too bad

they were good in July  on Marina

maybe the staff need lessons in milkshake making :classic_biggrin:

• 3 months later...
On 1/31/2019 at 11:34 AM, cbb said:

So this new Vero Water was to be implemented on Riviera April 2 and on Marina April 19.  Has anyone been onboard to experience the new system?  Would like to hear your feedback.

-Katie

friends on board Insignia now are reporting that there was a strong taste to the water that no one liked so evidently they are back to plastic bottles in the cabins and handing them out as passengers leave ship.

10 hours ago, cbb said:

friends on board Insignia now are reporting that there was a strong taste to the water that no one liked so evidently they are back to plastic bottles in the cabins and handing them out as passengers leave ship.

Good.  Hope they re think this for all the ships.  

• Like 1

On 1/31/2019 at 5:59 PM, Classiccruiser777 said:

Excellent news in my book. The less single use garbage created the better.

You are  correct....this is fantastic news...   The National Parks are also doing this..  and providing filling stations.  People have no idea of the huge impact that  discarded plastic water bottles have had, un like straws which have had none. 

Thanks O....... thanks a lot.    

2 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

You are  correct....this is fantastic news...   The National Parks are also doing this..  and providing filling stations.  People have no idea of the huge impact that  discarded plastic water bottles have had, un like straws which have had none. 

Thanks O....... thanks a lot.    

How can you say straws have had no impact on the environment? All plastics are detrimental. Straws are particularly unnecessary. I think almost all humans are capable of drinking without a straw, particularly if it will contribute to saving the planet. Have you seen the video of the straw being removed from a turtle’s nose? 

• Like 2

On 2/2/2019 at 10:05 AM, su-arizona said:

Hate to sound environmentally insensitive....but I always grab a plastic bottle of water when leaving the ship, drink it while touring, and drop it in the nearest garbage can before returning to the ship.  Maybe I can be trained to bring a reusable container back with me from shore excursions...but many times that bottle has been some really dirty places. 

I live in the land of no-plastic-straws already so I've heard all the environmental arguments (funny how no one talks about the cost saving benefits for the restaurants) and it's okay as long a restaurants wash the rims of their glasses thoroughly.  But I can't count the number of times I've received glasses with lipstick on the rim (in restaurants ashore AND on O).  Windstar already provides reusable bottles of water/sparkling water and it tastes dreadful.  Not looking forward to the experience on Oceania...

You can get your own glass or metal straw and carry it with you. You should also make sure you recycle your plastic water bottles. 

It would be kinder to see the world without contributing to its destruction 

Edited by Damicom

13 minutes ago, Damicom said:

How can you say straws have had no impact on the environment? All plastics are detrimental. Straws are particularly unnecessary. I think almost all humans are capable of drinking without a straw, particularly if it will contribute to saving the planet. Have you seen the video of the straw being removed from a turtle’s nose? 

13 minutes ago, Damicom said:

One turtle.. in the whole world out of hundreds of thousands..    a  bogus study done by an 8 year old boy was taken seriously..... strictly speaking any plastic is harmful... Banning a straw is  not going to have any real impact in reality.   I worked with wild life in Hawaii as  Ranger... worked with thousands of turtles,   never ever saw one with a straw, never saw a straw wash up on the shore......Of course I only watched  for 9 years.... 

Focus on something meaningful..  Focus on the absurd will only alienate  people from the entire environmental  awareness and turn off more than it will enlist.     

Hey, more worries...The CDC just came out and declared "saliva" a known carcinogenic.........But only is you swallow a lot.

Edited by Hawaiidan
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

One turtle.. in the whole world out of hundreds of thousands..    a  bogus study done by an 8 year old boy was taken seriously..... strictly speaking any plastic is harmful... Banning a straw is  not going to have any real impact in reality.   I worked with wild life in Hawaii as  Ranger... worked with thousands of turtles,   never ever saw one with a straw, never saw a straw wash up on the shore......Of course I only watched  for 9 years.... 

Focus on something meaningful..  Focus on the absurd will only alienate  people from the entire environmental  awareness and turn off more than it will enlist.     

Hey, more worries...The CDC just came out and declared "saliva" a known carcinogenic.........But only is you swallow a lot.

It’s not banning a straw. It’s banning hundreds of millions of straws and if you’ve never seen one washed up on the beach, get your eyes checked. And the CDC/saliva fantasy is no argument at all.

277FD3D0-4E4E-43F3-B7B1-B280DC31C0F4.jpeg