Do you leave unused toiletries and such behind?

aflyingbuttress

Just wondering if people leave things like unused travel shampoo and dish soap, etc behind for the cabin steward? I want to do

this but I’m also wondering if it’s actually just more of a pain for them to deal with than anything.

Do they really keep it or will they just be stuck cleaning up after me? 

19 minutes ago, aflyingbuttress said:

Just wondering if people leave things like unused travel shampoo and dish soap, etc behind for the cabin steward? I want to do

this but I’m also wondering if it’s actually just more of a pain for them to deal with than anything.

Do they really keep it or will they just be stuck cleaning up after me? 

Many cruise lines now just have a shower room-type soap/shampoo dispenser in the bathroom.  Not little bottles left over.

Leaving unopened bottles/soaps in the room doesn't mean the room steward gets them.  They would just get used for the next guests onboard.  Or tossed, if it's not the product they use onboard.

I may, typically, take any unused conditioner (if any, if in bottles), but most soaps and shampoos are too drying for me to use.

12 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Many cruise lines now just have a shower room-type soap/shampoo dispenser in the bathroom.  Not little bottles left over.

Leaving unopened bottles/soaps in the room doesn't mean the room steward gets them.  They would just get used for the next guests onboard.  Or tossed, if it's not the product they use onboard.

I may, typically, take any unused conditioner (if any, if in bottles), but most soaps and shampoos are too drying for me to use.

Thats not exactly what I mean. I am disembarking from a cruise tomorrow. I have leftover toiletries that we brought onboard with us that we did not use. I don’t need them at home and thought about leaving them behind. I doubt they would be left for the next guest since they were not given to me by the cruise ship. 

Just now, aflyingbuttress said:

Thats not exactly what I mean. I am disembarking from a cruise tomorrow. I have leftover toiletries that we brought onboard with us that we did not use. I don’t need them at home and thought about leaving them behind. I doubt they would be left for the next guest since they were not given to me by the cruise ship. 

As I noted, in that case, they would probably just get tossed.

• Like 1

I highly doubt the stateroom attendant would get - or want - to keep anything you leave behind of that nature.  Keep in mind they are on board for many months at a time in living quarters provided for them. They likely already have this provided.  As to cleaning up after you, that is the job they signed on for and are paid to do.  Your left behind toiletries don't add to their tasks - they would just throw them in the trash with everything else being discarded in cleaning the staterooms.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, aflyingbuttress said:

Save your cabin attendant some time and throw them out. They most certainly will not be left for the next guest. The only thing you should leave for your cabin attendant is cash. 

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 3

Just now, leaveitallbehind said:

I highly doubt the stateroom attendant would get - or want - to keep anything you leave behind of that nature.  Keep in mind they are on board for many months at a time in living quarters provided for them . They likely already have this provided.  As to cleaning up after you, that is the job they signed on for and are paid to do.  Your left behind toiletries don't add to their tasks.

Oh yes, I know. This is why I’m asking the question. I have read that people do this and are convinced that the cabin steward appreciates it. I wasn’t so convinced and was wondering if it was in fact more of an inconvenience when people do that. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Save your cabin attendant some time and throw them out. They most certainly will not be left for the next guest. The only thing you should leave for your cabin attendant is cash. 

Weve left her tons of cash and will leave her more when we disembark. Just to be clear that I wasn’t planning this as a tip replacement. I just thought if it was true that they will use them then I would leave it. But if not then I won’t. 

18 minutes ago, aflyingbuttress said:

Weve left her tons of cash and will leave her more when we disembark. Just to be clear that I wasn’t planning this as a tip replacement. I just thought if it was true that they will use them then I would leave it. But if not then I won’t. 

No worries, I never thought you meant it in lieu of a tip. :classic_smile:

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, aflyingbuttress said:

I have read that people do this

I'm not sure just leaving such things behind will mean to the room steward that it's his/hers to take.  

You could ask your room steward if they would be something they would like to have and actually hand the things to him/her, if the answer is "yes".

• Like 2

Just now, aflyingbuttress said:

leave them  or take them

the housekeeping staff  will deal with them

If they are unopened  you can ask the  steward(s) if they would like  them

they will do what they want with the items

1 hour ago, aflyingbuttress said:

Do your cabin steward a favor and toss out what you don't take home.

• Like 1

I take any unopened toiletries from cruises and hotels and when I have a box full, I add  a few deodorants and take them to one of our local homeless shelters or one for abused women. 

It’s an inexpensive way to contribute less to waste and more to people who can use a hand. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

I take any unopened toiletries from cruises and hotels and when I have a box full, I add  a few deodorants and take them to one of our local homeless shelters or one for abused women. 

It’s an inexpensive way to contribute less to waste and more to people who can use a hand. 

Kudos to you. That is an excellent idea for those that do take unopened toiletries home. 

We don't bring liquids (shampoo, conditioner, sun tan lotion, etc.) on our flight to the cruise as they weigh a lot and take up a lot of space.  We buy it all in a CVS or Walgreens (or wherever) near the departure port.  Whatever we don't use on the ship, we leave in the cabin (avoiding space and weight flying home).  They likely get tossed by the cabin attendant but I don't really know.

Same here… Toiletries are heavy and I rather have some extra clothes in my suitcase. I stay the night before a cruise at a local hotel and walk to Walmart or Walgreens nearby… Making sure in advance my hotel is near some easy shopping. When the cruise is over I leave any surplus in the room or trash it depending on what the item is. I also let Rooms Stewart know the day before that he’s welcome to anything I leave behind.

2 hours ago, aflyingbuttress said:

Just wondering if people leave things like unused travel shampoo and dish soap, etc behind for the cabin steward?

A little confused by your wording. Steward clears cabin of everything, be trash or recyclable. They have no need to use your leftovers. They assume if you left something, you meant to throw it away