Tips

Star70

Stateroom Attendant:  $3.55 (Non Suite) $6.20 (Suite)

Other Housekeeping Services:  $2.10 (Non Suite) $2.85 (Suite)

Dining Services:  $6.25 (Non Suite) $6.20 (Suite)

Other Dining Room Services $2.60 (Non Suite), $2.85 (Suite)

I don't have the individual breakdown of the Dining room but this gives you an idea.

3 hours ago, Colorado Babe said:

Stateroom Attendant:  $3.55 (Non Suite) $6.20 (Suite)

Other Housekeeping Services:  $2.10 (Non Suite) $2.85 (Suite)

Dining Services:  $6.25 (Non Suite) $6.20 (Suite)

Other Dining Room Services $2.60 (Non Suite), $2.85 (Suite)

I don't have the individual breakdown of the Dining room but this gives you an idea.

They do not confirm this old breakdown anymore.... so at this point it is all a secret! 🙄

9 hours ago, Star70 said:

I know tips are added each day to your bill. What is each amount for waiter asst waiter cabin steward

The truth is guest do not know how much of the daily service fee is really paid to the crew members you work directly with. It is a big secret within the company. The Cabin and Hotel Director could be getting payments from this fund. If you ask Royal they will not tell you. So each guest is free to study the information and then make a choice if you want to contribute this the daily service charge, and if so how much. Since the fee is only a recommendation from the line and not required.   

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Colorado Babe said:

So many folks remove them on the last sea day.  It is sad. I think they should just build the tips into the cruise fare.  This is the only way to ensure that the staff get paid.  

I agree 👍!

5 minutes ago, Acheavacci said:

I thought gratuities were mandatory and charged regardless if you did prepay or not.  Aren't they auto charged to your CC (if you have not prepaid)?  

They are auto charged to your onboard account, but you can opt to discontinue the auto charges.

6 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

They are auto charged to your onboard account, but you can opt to discontinue the auto charges.

Thus giving the stewards and waitstaff zero gratuities?!?  That is unacceptable.  If that is truly the case I agree that gratuities should be built into the cost of the cruise.  

1 hour ago, Colorado Babe said:

So many folks remove them on the last sea day.  It is sad. I think they should just build the tips into the cruise fare.  This is the only way to ensure that the staff get paid.  

It is allowed under the cruise contract and the choice of the guests. The crew also know that it is only a suggestion and the guests are not required to pay any set amount. 

28 minutes ago, Acheavacci said:

I thought gratuities were mandatory and charged regardless if you did prepay or not.  Aren't they auto charged to your CC (if you have not prepaid)?  

They're not they are completely optional and at the choice of the guest. While some may not like this fact it is how the cruise line has set the contracts up. 

13 minutes ago, Acheavacci said:

Thus giving the stewards and waitstaff zero gratuities?!?  That is unacceptable.  If that is truly the case I agree that gratuities should be built into the cost of the cruise.  

The cruise lines save money by not building them in. I agree the cruise lines should pay the staff a fair wage (based upon the flagged countries standards)  and not hold the carrot of tips over the head of crew members. Return tipping to the guest as it should be.  

1 hour ago, Expat Cruise said:

Return tipping to the guest as it should be.  

Tipping still belongs to the guest. There is a recommended amount that is added to the invoice for the guest's convenience and that amount, as you point out, may be adjusted.

1 hour ago, Expat Cruise said:

The cruise lines save money by not building them in. I agree the cruise lines should pay the staff a fair wage (based upon the flagged countries standards)  and not hold the carrot of tips over the head of crew members. Return tipping to the guest as it should be.  

Well, in most cases the "flagged" countries have fairly low standards. 😉

1 minute ago, sparks1093 said:

Tipping still belongs to the guest. There is a recommended amount that is added to the invoice for the guest's convenience and that amount, as you point out, may be adjusted.

It really doesn't belong to the guest. As a guest I  have no idea and the line will not tell me who is tipped and how my money is split. If I want to tip a waiter  and tipping belong to the guest I could tip directly to him/her. Not be required to go through a pool to be divided as the cruise line sees fit. Tipping is something that is done freely without obligation, return 100% control to the guest.

And please don't try to talk about the "back of the house personal" I don't see they do not belong in the tipping pool. When I give my baggage to the airline I do not pay the person sweeping the floor, or the driver of the tug, or the guy loading the bag, because back of the operation people should be paid by the business directly

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Expat Cruise said:

It really doesn't belong to the guest. As a guest I  have no idea and the line will not tell me who is tipped and how my money is split. If I want to tip a waiter  and tipping belong to the guest I could tip directly to him/her. Not be required to go through a pool to be divided as the cruise line sees fit. Tipping is something that is done freely without obligation, return 100% control to the guest.

And please don't try to talk about the "back of the house personal" I don't see they do not belong in the tipping pool. When I give my baggage to the airline I do not pay the person sweeping the floor, or the driver of the tug, or the guy loading the bag, because back of the operation people should be paid by the business directly

Once you've left a tip, whether onboard the ship or at a land based establishment, you have no control over what happens to it and tipping pools are frequently used. Whether you like it or not some support staff are tipped out from the tips given to the front line staff, again, not something you can control. All I know, and all I need to know, when I leave the recommended tip it goes to the people that are supposed to get it and I don't have to worry about it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Expat Cruise said:

No, they do not save money.  Costs the same to them either way.  Actually, costs them more, as they have to administer the program.

What it does, is allow them to advertise a lower fare.   The same thing that hotels do in resort areas.  Low price for the room, but a mandatory "resort fee" that gets you almost nothing.

If you want to stop this, contact your congressional representatives, and have them introduce a bill to make all companies advertise the full fare, like they do in Australia.

2 hours ago, Expat Cruise said:

So, do you tip the person checking you in?  Do you tip the flight attendants?

The system is the way it is.  Tipping back of the house is a very common practice in the US.  You will not change that.

7 hours ago, Colorado Babe said:

P&O are starting this in May along with a few other lines.

We will still give cash tips to deserving crew when we sail next on P&O.

6 hours ago, Acheavacci said:

You can give them nonzero gratuities in person.

30 minutes ago, Acheavacci said:

If the staff didn't perform  their duties I can see giving less.  Bit that is not what my previous posts were intended to mean.

I was only responding to one of your posts...the one in which you said "Thus giving the stewards and waitstaff zero gratuities?!?  That is unacceptable."  I was pointing out that removing the automatic gratuities doesn't necessarily mean giving zero gratuities.