Bad weather on Eurodam -- Kona rescheduled, Nawiliwili canceled

faerievert

Sadly, the Eurodam currently at sea is running into bad weather. Our first stop in Hawaii (Kona) has been canceled for this Saturday. We're making it up Monday, but that means skipping the previously-planned stop in Nawiliwili. Shame. We'd have preferred to stick with Nawiliwili if it was a choice between one and the other just to be able to see another island. 

I must point out this is one reason HAL's EXC program is an advantage vs local booking on your own. I was able to cancel my Nawiliwili bookings for full refunds, thank goodness, but my Kona booking has past their less generous refund window. We can reschedule, but currently don't have the numbers for the flight to still happen on the new day. (If anyone happens to be on board, we'd love to have you join us on Big Island Air for an airplane tour of the big island -- much cheaper and longer than helicopter tours with more generous weight restrictions.)

So please pay careful attention to your cancelation policies for private excursions and if you can't afford to lose out in case of a rescheduled port, EXC is the way to go. The extra price booking through the ship is best thought of as insurance. That's not usually worth it to us, but I bet this flip-flop is throwing a wrench in a lot of private arrangements! 

• Like 1

So sorry the itinerary is changed. A storm is blowing in and is supposed to be bad Friday and Saturday. Nawiliwili is on the windward side of Kauai, so it tends to get a lot of rain anyway. Storms can cause significant flooding in that area. The area north of Hanalei is still closed from a storm 10 months ago. 

That’s a shame that you will miss Kauai. (We booked the 18-day Hawaii cruise next March because it is one of the ports we haven’t visited yet - really looking forward to it.) But safety and operational conditions are a priority, obviously.

Thanks for the reminder about the ship’s tours being fully refunded in such cases. “Insurance” is s good way to think about the extra cost.

We are in Honolulu today on the Emerald Princess and having beautiful weather. We are scheduled for Kauai tomorrow. The captain announced that HAL has rerouted but he hopes we will still be able to port on Saturday.

Most reputable tour vendors do not charge if you aren’t able to port. 

Hope your weather improves to be as nice as ours has been on Maui and Oahu.

Nawiliwil is a very tricky harbor to get into and out of. 

Several years ago the Port Master warned a docked ship that he had to close the port that afternoon, the ship  had to either leave or be prepared to stay for a few days - the captain chose to leave while they could, and they left 600 people, guests and crew, on the island.  All those people had to be flown to the next port and put up in hotels.  They needed to charter planes and find hotels.  It was a real mess.  

I hope you get to go back another time, but until then..... it's hard to have a bad day on a cruise ship!  m--

The issue with Nawiliwili Harbor, as RML already stated, is its entry in, and departure from, the port itself. It can be best described as a "zig-zag" course around the two jetties that "overlap" each other. Not easy and especially not in high winds and strong currents (these pics on Oostie were taken in nice weather). Then again the Nawiliwili pilot ihas been around the block just a couple of times, is used to it, plus dresses casual/island style :classic_wink:

Image may contain: sky, ocean, cloud, outdoor, water and nature

Image may contain: sky, ocean, outdoor, water and nature

Image may contain: sky, ocean, outdoor and water

Image may contain: sky, ocean, cloud, mountain, outdoor, water and nature

No photo description available.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, boards said:

Have the renovations to the terminal in my favourite port "Nawiliwilli" finished?   We've had several interesting experiences there each time we visited (twice).  

Last time I was there, Dec 2017, it was still just an empty warehouse

Image may contain: sky and outdoor

2 hours ago, mringenoldus said:

I just took this photo as we are approaching Nawiliwili.  It’s a bit windy and we have small swells but nothing like described.

CA63B593-487D-423F-BEEC-53963E3051D8.jpeg

The main impact will be tomorrow so be prepared!  It actually seems quite frightening! 

13 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

The issue with Nawiliwili Harbor, as RML already stated, is its entry in, and departure from, the port itself. It can be best described as a "zig-zag" course around the two jetties that "overlap" each other. Not easy and especially not in high winds and strong currents (these pics on Oostie were taken in nice weather). Then again the Nawiliwili pilot ihas been around the block just a couple of times, is used to it, plus dresses casual/island style :classic_wink:

Image may contain: sky, ocean, outdoor, water and nature

Image may contain: sky, ocean, outdoor and water

Image may contain: sky, ocean, cloud, mountain, outdoor, water and nature

No photo description available.

Thanks, Copper, for posting these pics especially love the pic of the Pilot! 😃 We were there two years ago and going again on the 20th.  We did Kauai by air and now looking forward to doing a land Tour.

• Like 1

Just now, rkacruiser said:

Kauai is my favorite Hawaiian island and its port is only second as being scenic (in my opinion) to Honolulu.  For one to miss Kauai is very unfortunate.  I think it is the most "Hawaiian" of the islands.

It was very windy and chilly at the canyon overlook today but otherwise a nice sunny day!

• Like 1