Your Fav Tips You Learned Here

MsSoCalCruiser

Not sure whether these comments are my favourite things...but if I bring all of the items recommended on these boards, I will need an extra suitcase.

During my first 25 cruises, I have managed without antiseptic wipes, duct tape, over the door hangers, bingo markers, extension cables, laundry hampers, extra coat hangers,magnetic wall hangers, door decorations, walkie talkies,tablecloths for balcony table, post it notes, pot pourri, DVDs player, etc.

Have also learned that booking conditions vary between countries and this sometimes seems unfair......refundable deposits, re fare before final payment option.

I am unable to pre order water package on cruises out of Australia...and that many people push their opinion of taking refillable bottles for water when water package is mentioned.

Many people don't read original posters' question and throw oblique comments into their replies.

• Like 3

I have learned a lot on CC

lunch on embarkation day in the MDR even though the crew denies it

stockholder OBC

military OBC

ultimate ship tour (I really enjoyed it)

pre-purchased water to take onshore

opportunities for private tours

magnets to hold documents etc on wall

learned early about the Caribe deck balconies

and a lot more tips

Edited by satxdiver
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Cyn874 said:

Can you elaborate on these three things?

I'd be happy to:

Luggage Valet (or whatever it is called on Princess)

In a few ports (Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Seattle ... there may be more), you pay to have your luggage taken directly from your room to the airport and you don't see it again until your home airport.  There are a few restrictions (flight times, airlines, disembarkation ports, etc) and the cost is approx $25 pp.  They also check you in for your flight, print out your boarding passes for you and they are available for you in your cabin.  The best part is not having to weigh your luggage to make sure it is under that 50 lbs mark.  In Seattle, the port was picking up the fee for anyone that used this a couple of years back.  Not sure if they are still doing this but we were able to take advantage of it twice.  Also, this comes right off your OBC if you have any left over.  One more thing, you don't both have to sign up for it ... one charge covers two pieces of checked luggage so you can always just print out the other person's boarding pass at the airport or internet cafe.  The real value lies in them handling your luggage from door to home airport.  

Price drop announcements

More than once, someone on my roll call has announced the pricing on our cruise has dropped and I call in to get the lower price.  Sometimes, I am the one to post it if I notice my costs have gone way down.  

Better options at the Trident Grill at dinnertime 

At dinnertime, the Trident Grill has a different menu ... not just hamburgers, hot dogs and fries.  They were offering crab cakes and onion rings up in Alaska.  I've also seen chicken wings, ribs, etc offered on different occasions.  I think they offer something every night that is above and beyond the normal.  The wings were fantastic, btw ...as were the crab cakes.  Last time, during the nighttime movie, they had a special buffet table set up (manned table) where you could just grab what you wanted.  At least once time during each cruise, we skip the MDR and head to the trident grill instead (and a salad from the buffet).  

• Like 5

Definitely the most monetarily valuable has been when Princess allowed the combination of the CCL and Military OBCs. When the Military OBC was first announced, either there was a miscommunication or, in fact, Princess would only allow one or the other. I wasn’t going to bother to submit DH’s record or military service because we already received the CCL OBC. Then someone (Astroflyer?) posted that the two credits were combinable. We’ve saved thousands and thousands between the two of them. 

Caribill’s endless photo library and memory of all things in Princess cruising history have provided lots of answers to questions I didn’t even know to ask. And when Caribill says it, there’s no point in checking further. Mic drop!

And anything CherylandTK has ever said about Princess Vacation Protection or booking cruises or cancelling cruises. Anything. 

Thanks to everyone who has enlightened, entertained and even enraged me!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

During my first 25 cruises, I have managed without antiseptic wipes, duct tape, over the door hangers, bingo markers, extension cables, laundry hampers, extra coat hangers,magnetic wall hangers, door decorations, walkie talkies,tablecloths for balcony table, post it notes, pot pourri, DVDs player, etc.

I agree, except for the lysol wipes. Once we started sailing with a kid, we definitely started wiping every surface with them. Before kid - never bothered.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, southerngoose said:

I've learned many valuable things as a newbie (not kidding):

• Sanctuary - great but not good for Alaska cruise
  • "Mocktail" can be any drink without alcohol...it doesn't have to be on the Mocktail menu
  • Stanley Bear - need to buy early so that he can get "decorated" during the cruise (better than a towel animal)
  • No sofa - better to know before you go so that I can get the inflatables bought and packed (next time, check the website more closely...looks like there's no jogging track either)
  • Cool power strip that accepts plugs from around the world so that I can plug my cpap next to the bed
  • Oops...can't bring the power strip because it is a surge protector (not sure why it was recommended for plugging a cpap in under the bed...)
  • Next time, read cruise critic BEFORE paying non-refundable fees for the cruise, not afterwards...  Ok, I learned this time.  Next time I will read more carefully before booking.    I'm planning my Panama Canal cruise.  I can't go for 3 more years, but I'll plan ahead next time.

Just an FYI, room steward will provide extension cord with USA outlet to plug in your CPAP. Its medical device, so they have to. Plus dont forget to ask for distilled water for it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MGnut said:

It is still available for my upcoming cruises @ $6.90 (advanced sale only)

how interesting - thanks for letting me know! I looked it up and sure enough - $6.90. Princess must have reduced the price after raising it. Maybe, due to low demand after making the price unreasonable. I am going to purchase it now!

2 hours ago, nattie said:

Just an FYI, room steward will provide extension cord with USA outlet to plug in your CPAP. Its medical device, so they have to. Plus dont forget to ask for distilled water for it. 

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!   🙂   Mine is a travel model with no water needed.    Still needs a plug though and my life will be happier with an extension cord.  

• Like 1

What have a learned from CC ???   well lots... all those thing you wouldn't ask...someone has already asked them.... ( maybe shot down in flames )

As said certain topic are No-No's...

CC is great for photos of cabin and info about ships... thing which you would not know about...

the Ship tour..... we did it on our first cruise... because we found out about on CC

Also you get see what other cruise line are like... You can see the difference between the boards after reading the Princess one......

Cheers Don

Edited by getting older slowly
spekking
  • Like 1

• Tea candles in the lav
  • Military OBC credit
  • Future cruise deposits
  • Magnetic hooks
  • Ultimate ship's tour
  • Don't talk tipping
  • Don't talk gifting the staff
  • Book water in the cabin on the Personalizer
  • That a CPAP is medical equipment and doesn't count as a carry-on on an airplane
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

it was raised last year and was a lot more unreasonable. I am glad it went back down to $6.90.

It was unreasonable for a day or two. Our friends at Princess claim that it was a mistake in coding for the website. I don't know that I believe that; I'm more inclined to believe that they tried pricing it high enough that people wouldn't buy it and they could then have an excuse to get out of the bottled water business. Except, in my scenario, that the flood of angry emails convinced them that they were in jeopardy of ticking off their customer base so much that they'd pick another line rather than just stop ordering water.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

Sea Hag,

I agree with you. This picture is of a great Volcano. 

Tony

AA08EB55-78D0-45F3-9388-496874B86169.jpeg

We've gotten many of these over the years, and I don't think they've ever looked the same even on the same cruise but different meal. Seems like they get a lot of creativity into them. This one looks good, but I'm not seeing any chopped nuts.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

I agree wholeheartedly, I cannot see the use for any of it. I especially detest the suggestions for walkie talkies. During our recent cruise on the Regal there was a guy pacing about the pool area repeatedly saying Hello? Hello? Hello?. Next time I saw him he had apparently given up.  We do have a laundry bag we use and a coupled of magnets we slap on the door.

• Like 1