What do you want to have on Cruise Critics Meet & Mingle?

My only experience of a Meet & Mingle was on NCL Escape last summer and I figured I'd throw in here what happened with that, as it might provide some inspiration. (I have my first RCI sailing coming up in April)

The M&M is scheduled at the same time and in the same venue for each sailing of an itinerary... so you know in advance where and when it's going to be (it was at noon on the first sea day in one of the bars). The event is attended by several senior officers who mingled with the guests giving out drinks and nibbles and chatting. There was a singer and after a while the officers all took the mic and introduced themselves and spoke about their role on board. It was very sociable and I enjoyed the opportunity to mingle and chat to people. I was hoping for something similar on my upcoming RCI sailing on Navigator, but reading this thread has made me think it might not live up to my expectations. 

• Like 1

On 2/22/2019 at 6:48 PM, Merion_Mom said:

ALWAYS ask if anyone from the Roll Call has organized an activity and would like the microphone to make an announcement.  Ask if anyone, for any reason, needs to make an announcement.

And yes, insist on an identification by Cruise Critic screen name.  I find it mildly annoying when all of the prizes are won by people  who say, "Huh?  What's that?" when asked.

Some AMs will give a prize to the person who starts the Roll Call or who contributes the most to the Roll Call.  Most Roll Calls have a person like this.

A certain AM used to give an extra prize to the person whose CC screen name she liked best.  😉

Yes, these are wonderful suggestions! I think anything that gets people in person to participate in person like they do online is great! And sometimes the person saying Huh? is the spouse who has not been online & is happily clueless about the M&M The best one that I ever went to was really hosted by M&M participant! They had a cabin crawl that followed it and as a newbie at the time I really appreciated being able to SEE different room types. 

But BEST advice was “ignore the grumbles”

I have stopped signing up just because of 1)no info or wrong info given on invite 2)hard to find those that I connected with online at the M&M

On 2/22/2019 at 6:48 PM, Merion_Mom said:

• Like 1

Venue is an important aspect.  Places like On-Air or the theatre do not provide an ability to really mingle.  It's been awhile since I've sailed on RCI, but the last few meet and mingles, it seemed like they just came in, gave out prizes, and then everyone left.  it was disappointing.  That said, I've never seen a M&M on other lines like Princess so I guess it's all relative.

I'd like to see the roll call host who organizes everyone be able to work closely with the onboard M&M host and provide more opportunities to mingle, especially for those of us that might be shy in person and don't really know others sailing.  It seemed cliquish, although I know if I were more assertive, that others would be inclusive.

Not related to the onboard M&M, but my more satisfying roll call events have been when we all met somewhere the night prior in the port.  That helped the M&M onboard and other events.  It's nice to see people you recognize while onboard.

1 hour ago, reney313 said:

like to see the roll call host who organizes everyone be able to work closely with the onboard M&M host and provide more opportunities to mingle, especially for those of us that might be shy in person and don't really know others sailing.  It seemed cliquish, although I know if I were more assertive, that others would be inclusive.

Psycho is not shy by any means and has worked with ship M&M to get everyone to mingle.  We would love to take the mic and pass it around so everyone could introduce themselves 

On 2/23/2019 at 3:35 PM, Merion_Mom said:

RE:  MIMOSAS

The Anthem always serves Mimosas at the Meet 'n' Mingle.

They served them on our 2016 Anthem cruise.  They also had a huge tray of pastries.  Lots of raffles and giveaways.  I won a bottle of champagne.  Well attended and a fun group of people.

On 2/22/2019 at 3:09 PM, Falaimalandro said:

Reason why I have signed up myself, so I can understand what do you guys expect. A part from that it is a great feedback! I am loving it

I have to ask, if you are hosting it, that means you are part of RCCL so how did you sign up for one if you do not have a reservation number?  I did not think that is possible.   Makes me wonder.

Our Roll Call is a ghost town, so if you ask for screen names no one will recognize each other.  Stick to real names, as that's how we know each other.  

It would be great to have an icebreaker activity, but only if you separate all of the couples.  That way people get to be themselves.  Otherwise things are just a total snooze fest.  

• Like 1

On 2/22/2019 at 4:23 PM, The sea calls my name said:

Better notification of when the event is being held.  We missed the last one when we sailed on the Oasis last year.  We never recieved a notification in our cabin and quest services knew Nothing about it when I asked them. 

Same thing happened to us, but GS took the time to find out.  I was told that the event was arranged by the Group Coordinator.  So ask them, or ask GS to check with them.

For the prizes, maybe do it prize table wise.

Tell people what the prizes are.  Then first winner gets to pick from all the prizes, second winner gets to pick from what is left, etc.

That way a non-drinker does not end up with a bottle of wine, or someone who wants a hat, doesn't get internet time (and already had a package).

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Thank you for taking the time to create this thread and listening to suggestions.

I've attended meet and mingles that have ranged from around 20 participants to a couple of hundred so appreciate that you have to take this into account when you are planning it. When there are not too many people it's nice to have everyone introduce themselves with screen name and where they are from. 

As far as prizes, they are fine, I'm just pleased if I occasionally win! I really like the parties where a few of the officers turn up and talk to us, I find this happens much more often on other lines than on RCL and I think it makes guests feel valued.

I like the 10am/11am time slot, also it's nice not to have something else scheduled in the venue immediately afterwards so it gives us time to meet and mingle on our own for longer.

Adventure (and maybe some other ships?) used to hold a CC lunch on the TAs midway through the cruise and it was really nice, haven't seem anything like this for a few years.

The other problem seems to be that there are always a few people that don't get their invite, if there is some way of sorting this it would be good.

Julie

I'm not sure I have a solution, but I'll say an issue I have with them. I find for myself I want to go to the M&M but have trouble actually mingling. I'm a bit shy and feel weird just walking up to people to chat. There was one set up on a Disney Cruise I went on once, in the main open area. My husband and I went, but we sat on the outskirts bc I didn't really know what to say to anyone. I doubt anyone realized we were there for the M&M lol.

My next trip will be on the Allure -still ages away =(, and we are going with a group of friends so I won't necessarily need to make best buddies, but it would be nice to at least be semi familiar with some people to cheers a drink to when we see them at the bar! Of course also depends how active the roll call becomes.

It's a fine line to walk between making a comfortable environment with activities and light bonding to making people be on the spot and spend uncomfortable amounts of time with people they aren't getting along with.

11 hours ago, itsmeagain said:

I have to ask, if you are hosting it, that means you are part of RCCL so how did you sign up for one if you do not have a reservation number?  I did not think that is possible.   Makes me wonder.

I thinkd she means signed up to cruise critic? 

• Like 1

I would love an event late morning to early afternoon first sea day. At the M&M I would love more things to get participants mingling and talking together. I met people at M&M that I ended up hanging out with on sea days or in the evenings because we ended up getting to know a bit about each other. Someone mentioned a cabin crawl - I would definitely enjoy that. Or maybe a slot pull? Thanks for taking the time to get everyone's input :)

On 2/22/2019 at 1:45 PM, Falaimalandro said:

I would like to know what do you want to see on CC meet & Mingle on Royal Caribbean. Time, date, gifts, what to cover.

Please give your feed back

On 2/22/2019 at 1:54 PM, Falaimalandro said:

I host it, so I would like to know what do you guys like to have it. I am AM on RCCL

Thanks so much for asking!  I have attended many M&M over the years.  They used to be very "special" and very well attended.  The attendance has dropped over the last few years as the "prizes" and "refreshment offerings" have decreased. 

1.  Make sure the invitations get delivered to the staterooms in a timely manner.  In the last couple of years there seems to be a big issue of folks not getting the invites at all or receiving them after the event was held. (The date and time used to be posted 30 days in advance on Cruise Critic.  This stopped a year or so ago so now people aren't aware until  (if) they receive the invite onboard.)

2.Ask if there are any announcements that need to be made.  Sometimes on the roll call groups have planned other events (slot pull, cabin crawl, bar crawl, etc.) that need to be "firmed up". 

3.  Unless the attendance is just overwhelming (like it would be on a repo cruise), quickly go around the room and ask everyone's SCREENNAME and where they live.  

4.  Mid-morning on a seaday (if there is a seaday early in the itinerary).  If no seaday early in the sailing, then around "all aboard" time on a port day that isn't formal night.  I know not all events can be worked around as far as conflicts, but try to avoid "trivia" and "suite party" timing conflicts. 

5.    Alchoholic beverages would be a big plus for many folks but at least some type of beverage even if it is just fruit punch/iced tea in the afternoon or coffee and OJ if in the morning. 

6.. Some type of food item.  (I know...there is food all over the ship.  But people like to think they are "special" and a nice food presentation usually makes a good impression.  Nothing too over the top in case it doesn't get eaten.  A fruit/cheese tray would work any time of day.  A tray of chocolate croissants or other specialty pastries would be good in the mornings.  Cookies in the afternoon. Ask the Chef to be creative and prepare something that can't be found anywhere else on the ship.) 

7.   Prizes....wine is usually appreciated.  However, folks love to get the certificates for spa, specialty dining, internet, refreshment package, OBC, etc.  The logo items are usually appreciated also. (especially the larger ones....like the gift basket from Love & Marriage). 

Thanks again for asking. 

27 minutes ago, skiiergirl said:

1.  Make sure the invitations get delivered to the staterooms in a timely manner.  In the last couple of years there seems to be a big issue of folks not getting the invites at all or receiving them after the event was held. (The date and time used to be posted 30 days in advance on Cruise Critic.  This stopped a year or so ago so now people aren't aware until  (if) they receive the invite onboard.)

4.  Mid-morning on a seaday (if there is a seaday early in the itinerary).  If no seaday early in the sailing, then around "all aboard" time on a port day that isn't formal night.  I know not all events can be worked around as far as conflicts, but try to avoid "trivia" and "suite party" timing conflicts. 

5.    Alchoholic beverages would be a big plus for many folks but at least some type of beverage even if it is just fruit punch/iced tea in the afternoon or coffee and OJ if in the morning. 

6.. Some type of food item.  (I know...there is food all over the ship.  But people like to think they are "special" and a nice food presentation usually makes a good impression.  Nothing too over the top in case it doesn't get eaten.  A fruit/cheese tray would work any time of day.  A tray of chocolate croissants or other specialty pastries would be good in the mornings.  Cookies in the afternoon. Ask the Chef to be creative and prepare something that can't be found anywhere else on the ship.) 

7.   Prizes....wine is usually appreciated.  However, folks love to get the certificates for spa, specialty dining, internet, refreshment package, OBC, etc.  The logo items are usually appreciated also. (especially the larger ones....like the gift basket from Love & Marriage). 

1. THIS ABOVE ALL, people cannot attend if they don't know when and where.

4.  No time is going to make everyone happy, but avoid other high end events (suite gathering, etc).

5/6.  Our last one had coffee and orange juice (10 AM), and croissants and pasteries.

7.  As I said, maybe off choices of prizes.  Someone with internet packages already, does not care about free wifi (unless you will refund what they already paid 😄 ).

On 2/22/2019 at 3:35 PM, island lady said:

Then again with so many that signed up and never showed up...I can see why the ship probably stopped doing that.   

I am one of the sign up and not show up people because half the time I never get an invite or I get it after the event has occurred.  Several times the meeting has been at a really bad time versus other events.   Only a few have worked out for me.  My suggestion would be to get the invites out earlier.  I think morning on a sea day is great.  

5 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

How long do meet and greets typically run?  I noticed last week's Symphony had meet and greet at 9:30am and Crown & Anchor at 10:30am.  Seems tight if lasts 1hr or more.

Our experience has been 30-60 minutes.

• Thanks 1

Gidday :-)

I concur with the thank you for asking comments!

I always attend the M&M, largely due to always having received my invite.

Have missed others not attending because they didn't get their invites, one trip had the event noted on one place on some invites and another on other invites, so some were at one venue and others at the second venue, weird? We found this out later on when running into people later in the cruise when we asked why they weren't at the event, oi vey!

Mimosas would be lovely, I reckon 11am is a fair compromise for a meet time.

Not identifying CC members is a bugbear for me.  I am sure some of the people in attendance just wandered in, got tickets and actually won prizes.  Surely RCI has a list, I mean there is a running count of attendees, so should the attendees be checked at the door?

A lunch would be lovely, and would encourage mingling...

Have not seen a senior officer at an M&M for years, Princess had 3, just sayin'

Some of the prizes really do look like leftovers, my first M&M on RCI was in 2011, there were Spa vouchers and sparkling wine, last cruise 2 bottles of wine, a bunch of highlighters, pens and a couple of bags we were instructed couldn't hold more than the weight of a banana, I don't think the RCI rep was joking!

Thank you again for asking :-)

TraceyG

The mimosa

On 2/24/2019 at 10:37 PM, gaylemh said:

Not a thing of the past on Anthem.

I was on the Anthem New Years Cruise and 12 days in February there were no mimosas served.  We get there early and chat with the people around us.  Hanna was the CD as she gave out the prizes she asked people their screen name.  We clapped for them and recognized them by their name.  I organized a slot pull and as people took their turn they gave their screen name.  It’s up to you to get to know new friends.

Edited by maria1122