What do you want to have on Cruise Critics Meet & Mingle?

Thank you for asking! I've only attended one, and it was basically just a raffle. There were no refreshments or introductions. It was a very large group, so that might have been the reason. I assumed they were all that way, so I haven't attended one since. 

I think refreshments at the very least should be served. Like a pp said, we would like to feel a bit special. A meal would be thoughtful. 

A little box of petit fours for every attendee to take would be a very special touch. A cruise critic door magnet for all as well? Something to make all of us feel like we belong in this exclusive club.

I agree vouchers for services on the ship would be good prizes. Spa, special meals, etc. Something to create new memories. 

And maybe it would be fun to do a white elephant game. I'm not sure if that would be too time consuming. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/24/2019 at 8:07 PM, reney313 said:

Venue is an important aspect.  Places like On-Air or the theatre do not provide an ability to really mingle.  It's been awhile since I've sailed on RCI, but the last few meet and mingles, it seemed like they just came in, gave out prizes, and then everyone left.  it was disappointing.  That said, I've never seen a M&M on other lines like Princess so I guess it's all relative.

I'd like to see the roll call host who organizes everyone be able to work closely with the onboard M&M host and provide more opportunities to mingle, especially for those of us that might be shy in person and don't really know others sailing.  It seemed cliquish, although I know if I were more assertive, that others would be inclusive.

Not related to the onboard M&M, but my more satisfying roll call events have been when we all met somewhere the night prior in the port.  That helped the M&M onboard and other events.  It's nice to see people you recognize while onboard.

On 2/25/2019 at 8:03 AM, kernow said:

Thank you for taking the time to create this thread and listening to suggestions.

I've attended meet and mingles that have ranged from around 20 participants to a couple of hundred so appreciate that you have to take this into account when you are planning it. When there are not too many people it's nice to have everyone introduce themselves with screen name and where they are from. 

As far as prizes, they are fine, I'm just pleased if I occasionally win! I really like the parties where a few of the officers turn up and talk to us, I find this happens much more often on other lines than on RCL and I think it makes guests feel valued.

I like the 10am/11am time slot, also it's nice not to have something else scheduled in the venue immediately afterwards so it gives us time to meet and mingle on our own for longer.

Adventure (and maybe some other ships?) used to hold a CC lunch on the TAs midway through the cruise and it was really nice, haven't seem anything like this for a few years.

The other problem seems to be that there are always a few people that don't get their invite, if there is some way of sorting this it would be good.

Julie

The invitation is sent to a list that the website provides, there is no way to guess who is cruising from the CC if people do not sign up on the website. 

Wht I do, I add the information on the Cruise Compass so entire ship can see it.

M&M haven’t been popular nowadays, people always find something more interesting to do on a ship like Allure. What I do I set the M&M right before Crown & Anchor event and direct all the M&M to the event after the formalities so they can meet and talk to all the senior officers, even the Captain.

on a ship with the size of Allure, it would be almost impossible to get officers and the Captain on an event. Not because they do not care but because it is one of the largest ship, and yes it is way busier to run a ship with this size. I could change the time. But I don’t think officers won’t be there.

I will also see the availability of venues and if I can chanhe it.

At the moment we hold the party at the On Air at 10:30 am and C&A event at 11:45 am on the 1st day at Sea.

I am reading all the suggestions and surely will make some changes. At the moment I am on vacation, but the moment I am back, your precious ideas will be considered.

thank you so much to all

• Like 2

The point is, many people sign up, but they never get the invite.

It seems there is a disconnect between the online sign up, and the list you get.

WOW, RCI has some issues with their website. 😄

Also, there is no way for US to look at the list, or even see if we are still on it.  Only thing you can do, is to try to sign up, and then you get an error message that does not say that you are signed up, it something like, unable, try again later.  REALLY helpful. 😞

On 2/25/2019 at 12:48 AM, Setting Sail Gal said:

I would like to be aware of where and when the Mingle will occur.  Simple request, but have never been informed on past cruises OR I am missing something I am to do to complete the connection.  I love meeting people, but need an invite please.

I am not sure, but I think you must sign up here to ger your name in the list of invitations. The others members might be better to help you to find the link. On Allure it is always listed on the Cruise Compass, but it will always be on the 1st day at sea.

5 minutes ago, Setting Sail Gal said:

Falaimalandro, I agree with you.  I have posted on the roll call each time thinking that is “signing up.”  Do you know if that is enough?

No that's not enough, you actually have to sign up using this link

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/ccEntry.do

You should receive an invite in your cabin with details once onboard. Hope this helps,

Julie

• Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, kernow said:

No that's not enough, you actually have to sign up using this link

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/ccEntry.do

You should receive an invite in your cabin with details once onboard. Hope this helps,

Julie

Wow. I have never known there was an official list. This is great, thank you so much! Learn something new every day :classic_biggrin:

• Thanks 1

On 2/24/2019 at 9:54 PM, FrannyK said:

They served them on our 2016 Anthem cruise.  They also had a huge tray of pastries.  Lots of raffles and giveaways.  I won a bottle of champagne.  Well attended and a fun group of people.

Same here on Anthem last September. Best so far!

Ours was held in Vintages.

5 hours ago, Falaimalandro said:

I am not sure, but I think you must sign up here to ger your name in the list of invitations. The others members might be better to help you to find the link. On Allure it is always listed on the Cruise Compass, but it will always be on the 1st day at sea.

Nope, the link is dead.

Been dead since the major website upgrade last spring.

For the M&Ms that I have attended, I really like finding out about the other people who are there.  the host asks questions of "who has sailed on.. _____", do a question about how many cruises folks have been on, how many different ships, etc.  That way, if I choose, I stop over to the person and actually "meet and mingle".  I'm trying to go on every ship in the fleet, so it's nice to see someone who has been on a ship I haven't, and then go chat about what they liked about it, etc.  The hosts usually have some "insider" information about ships that are changing embarkation ports, etc., and that's always nice to find out in a relaxed atmosphere-where you can ask questions.  I'm not big on needing snacks/drinks.... but do love the prizes.

Falaimalandro, thank you so much for your enthusiasm and initiative in asking for our thoughts! I do hope you will be able to share your findings with your colleagues on other ships.  

I've found the M&M's to be mostly raffle drawings. I'd love to have more "mingling" - I like the ideas others have suggested for eliciting more interaction amongst members, and the hosts sharing interesting insider tidbits. Whether or not there's food is not a biggie for us, tho it is a nice gesture. We'd prefer if there were some token gift given to all for attending, even a keychain, pen etc would be appreciated. Not all of us are lucky enough to win a raffle! Definitely holding late morning/early afternoon of a sea day is good, but not to interfere with other major events. Having it just before the Top Tier event is fine as long as there's sufficient time for everyone to get there. One time they were scheduled just 30 minutes apart. We didn't stay for the whole M&M b/c we wanted to get to the Top Tier.

• Thanks 1

We enjoy it on first sea day and about 10 am or 10:30.  In the past we've gotten little RC gifts just for handing in our nice invitation card.  Then some have a chance to win some prizes.  I won a very nice gift basket once with a RC hat, pen, etc.  Really nice.  A mimosa and some snacks is very welcome.

Recently, not very  many gifts and noticed, therefore, less people showed up.

• Thanks 1

We did one that included a set amount to spend eg £10/$10/10€ on a gift from your town/country/state. Everyone who brought a gift received one. Of course coming from Scotland mine contained a whisky miniature, shot class, shortbread, several packets of Tunnoch chocolate covered  biscuits made in Tunnochs factory few miles from me. 

Your screen name and where you come from.......i think my Scottish flag gave me away before I spoke! 🙈😂😂

1 hour ago, SRF said:

Nope, the link is dead.

A while back, I added the sign-up page link to my signature since I had trouble finding it and it makes it easier for other folks on the roll call.  Last October our Allure cruise got caught in the Cruise Critic website downtime thus no one got invitations.  We knew the M&M time & place from the most recent cruises and I actually saw the listing in the Cruise Compass about midnight on Sunday.  We had 178 signed up for our M&M but probably had about 25 due to Cruise Critic being down and lack of communication.

It's easy to sign up from the link.  You'll receive a confirmation when signing up and once again when the group reaches 25 people and the "party" is officially registered.

It really takes everyone participating to make the Meet & Mingle an enjoyable and worthwhile event.  The Royal Caribbean staff takes the lead but it's more fun with lots of folks contributing.

Patti 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SRF said:

Nope, the link is dead.

The link to register for the M&M is still working.  Quite a few CC members have the link listed in our signature.  If you have your "settings" "set" to show the signatures you can see the link and click on it.  I agree that the link that listed the party day, date, time, & location went away a year or so ago.  

I believe the problem with the invitations (for those that registered) more recently has been "mail delivery issues" onboard.  On several sailing we had trouble getting "other mail" in addition to the M&M invitations.  

I agree with another poster that stated it is kind of "sucky" when non CC folks just happen upon the party and win the prizes.  I am always happy to talk about CC and suggest folks come to the site to chat.  It seems somehow there are always a few that come to the party and win a prize.  Then when asked their screen-name they reply "I don't have one. I just saw the party and decided to come in."  Maybe a suggestion would be to actually write your screen name on the raffle tickets before they are put in the bucket.  That way anyone putting a ticket in would at least know they were "supposed" to have a screen-name to attend the party. (Or a member of their group have a screen name!)  Mr. Ski rarely posts and actually does have a "log in" however he prefers just to log in under me and post on occasion.  (He knows he better state it is him posting though.  LOL)  So even though he rarely posts he does have a screen=name but we just always call him "Mr Ski" since I am the one posting 99.999% of the time.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, nalatrixie74 said:

12 hours ago, nalatrixie74 said:

A cruise critic door magnet for all as well? Something to make all of us feel like we belong in this exclusive club.

Cruise critic is an exclusive club?  That is what C&A and DL , SL are for.  I am living proof that cruise critic accepts ANYONE.

• Haha 1

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 8:58 PM, SRF said:

For the prizes, maybe do it prize table wise.

Tell people what the prizes are.  Then first winner gets to pick from all the prizes, second winner gets to pick from what is left, etc.

That way a non-drinker does not end up with a bottle of wine, or someone who wants a hat, doesn't get internet time (and already had a package).

It has been this way at every M&M that I have attended - a dozen or more.

Have registered & attended M&M event on most of our RC cruises since 2013.

Link has always worked for registering, although a couple of times I had to try again later.

Always have got confirmation of registration & confirmed parties by email.

I always register DW for the event, though she does not participate in cc.

The website listing of confirmed parties has stopped working some time ago.

On almost every occasion the onboard invite has been in our cabin first day. One time we didn't receive invite and called GS and they got back to me with timing & location.

Many register and don't turn up.

Have had as many as 100+ and as few as maybe 20 attend.

A busy roll-call thread mostly means as good turnout for M&G & vice versa.

Always seen keen staff of the ship in attendance. Food & drink offerings vary, but we are not really attending for those things.

In recent times have noticed a lot of sharing of info on FB groups - "there's a free party, with prizes etc, you just need to register on this link". "No I don't know what Cruise Critic is, it's a free party".

Also recently have seen people bringing friends along for the free party - the friends have no idea about cc, but like it when they win prizes. And just like the FB joiners-in "what's a screen name?".

On our recent Radiance cruise, the Staff did a great job, even provided an icebreaker activity so we could mingle somewhat - we met some nice people & put some faces to names from the roll-call.

We will continue to register and participate in the roll-call so that we can meet some other people. Who knows, maybe one time we will win something 🙂

Thanks for asking for feedback

IMHO Marion_MOM's Post #27 covers the best ideas.

10 to 10:30 AM on a sea day is best but there needs to be at least 1 hr difference before the top tier event.

Some suggestions for additional prizes:

Ben & Jerry coupons

Johnny Rockets coupons

Popcorn coupons

Voucher for a free picture 

Many have mention name tags with screen names. I like the idea but honestly in the pass when they were made available many people chose to ignore them and not put them on.

The host needs to provide some insider information about our cruise, ship and/or cruise line. Ex. entertainment staff current changes. Any kind of breaking news. Who has traveled the farthest to be on the cruise? Who started the CC thread for this cruise? Who is on the ship for the first time?

Love it when members are asked to introduced themselves. Screen name, real name, where you are from, how many cruises have you been on.