Is Celebrity using third party to send out luggage tags?

drakes2

I requested luggage tags the second week of January when I booked my upcoming cruise for March. They arrived today post marked PRIORITY MAIL  from Illinois with just my first name on the envelope. I have now changed cabins and asked for a new set to be mailed out. Does anyone know if Celebrity uses a third party to send out their labels? Odd that it takes 4 weeks to arrive in Canada and no surname on the envelope. 

I received luggage tags last week (US) five workdays after I requested them online.

Address was printed—exactly as I had entered it—on a panel attached to the sheet of eight tags.  Sheet was inserted into a window envelope—sized to fit the mailing exactly—and used the address of Celebrity’s Miami Corporate Headquarters for return purposes.  Postage was via RCCL frank at a discounted presorted rate.

40+ cruises;  I’ve  never had an experience or delivery time comparable to yours.  I have a sense that something went awry with a first mailing and it was returned to Celebrity—or a third party agent; perhaps even an Illinois Post Office if misdirected—to reunite the contents with you.

I also have had over 40 cruises on Celebrity, and like "Xport" have never had the the delivery time comparable to our OP.  And we live in Alaska where mail time tends to be slow!

But we have had luggage tags arrive with correct mailing address but only a first name in the address field.  

12 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

I also have had over 40 cruises on Celebrity, and like "Xport" have never had the the delivery time comparable to our OP.  And we live in Alaska where mail time tends to be slow!

But we have had luggage tags arrive with correct mailing address but only a first name in the address field.  

Good to “see you”, G!  Best to you and C!

11 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

I just found it strange that only a first name is in the address field in extremely small print. I did not order online but called Celebrity directly. I think I've confused them even more now that I've changed cabins.  Maybe its cheaper to have an outside party handle the mailings.

Celebrity and Azamara are among the few lines to send out luggage tags, and then, only do so to those with addresses in The US and Canada upon request...  Sister line RCI only sends them to guests from the same markets in higher end suites on request (believe that’s still true) and I don’t think several Carnival brands—Carnival, HAL and Princess among them—send tags out at all...

i think we’ll be relegated to printing, cutting, stapling and/or taping—or getting tags at the dock upon luggage drop-off (which seems to work fine as an option on Celebrity)—before service is outsourced...  Bottom line is that, while nice, issuance carries a cost and is expendable.

Celebrity information systems are quirky; sometimes, mail sorting equipment is too.

Sorry for your experience...  Alternatives may not be as desirable to you but they are available and many guests use them...

2 hours ago, drakes2 said:

I requested luggage tags the second week of January when I booked my upcoming cruise for March. They arrived today post marked PRIORITY MAIL  from Illinois with just my first name on the envelope. I have now changed cabins and asked for a new set to be mailed out. Does anyone know if Celebrity uses a third party to send out their labels? Odd that it takes 4 weeks to arrive in Canada and no surname on the envelope. 

I ordered mine online and they arrived today - about 2 weeks after I ordered .  The tags have my full name but the letter is addressed to my First name.  It does have Celebrity  address in Miami in top left corner 

Our first Celebrity cruise (fall 2017) we received our luggage tags in the mail shortly after ordering.  Our last cruise (December 2018) we did not receive them at all (were ordered 2x, within 45 days of cruising).  Then, I called Celebrity and said they would send out right away.  Never did receive them.  Went with the old cut/fold/tape method, and worked fine, but the ones that are mailed are nicer and I think sturdier.  We will see if we receive them for our November 2019 cruise.

2 minutes ago, DENIE said:

Our first Celebrity cruise (fall 2017) we received our luggage tags in the mail shortly after ordering.  Our last cruise (December 2018) we did not receive them at all (were ordered 2x, within 45 days of cruising).  Then, I called Celebrity and said they would send out right away.  Never did receive them.  Went with the old cut/fold/tape method, and worked fine, but the ones that are mailed are nicer and I think sturdier.  We will see if we receive them for our November 2019 cruise.

Not sure what you mean about “cut/fold/tape method” our experience for a number of years has been fold and staple, pretty darn easy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, drakes2 said:

I just found it strange that only a first name is in the address field in extremely small print. I did not order online but called Celebrity directly. I think I've confused them even more now that I've changed cabins.  Maybe its cheaper to have an outside party handle the mailings.

For our Feb. 10 sailing on Silhouette, our luggage tags also came in an envelope with just my first name. I didn't notice any other details about the postmark, etc. I did order online.

16 hours ago, Oville said:

Not sure what you mean about “cut/fold/tape method” our experience for a number of years has been fold and staple, pretty darn easy.

Buy clear luggage tag holders. Very reasonably priced on amazon. Fold, insert and attach. No tape or staples required. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Xport said:

Celebrity and Azamara are among the few lines to send out luggage tags, and then, only do so to those with addresses in The US and Canada upon request...  Sister line RCI only sends them to guests from the same markets in higher end suites on request (believe that’s still true) and I don’t think several Carnival brands—Carnival, HAL and Princess among them—send tags out at all...

i think we’ll be relegated to printing, cutting, stapling and/or taping—or getting tags at the dock upon luggage drop-off (which seems to work fine as an option on Celebrity)—before service is outsourced...  Bottom line is that, while nice, issuance carries a cost and is expendable.

Celebrity information systems are quirky; sometimes, mail sorting equipment is too.

Sorry for your experience...  Alternatives may not be as desirable to you but they are available and many guests use them...

only 2nd time on Celebrity......on RC we just print them off & fit them into our plastic luggage tags.  So are you saying, I can also print them off of the Celebrity cruise planner vs having them mailed to me?  Thank you

1 hour ago, gamblin'gal said:

only 2nd time on Celebrity......on RC we just print them off & fit them into our plastic luggage tags.  So are you saying, I can also print them off of the Celebrity cruise planner vs having them mailed to me?  Thank you

This! I usually cruise Disney, and their tags are automatically sent. I've cruised RCCL and am familiar with "arts and crafts" to make the tags. If it's this much of a headache to get tags from Celebrity (having to order them and hope they arrive intact), I'll just plan on carry-on only for my cruise on the Equinox next February.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart

2 hours ago, gamblin'gal said:

Yes, you'll find them in your vacation planner. 

If for some reason anyone is unable to get their luggage tags, they will make tags for you when you arrive at the cruise terminal.

Edited by Marelaine

On 2/26/2019 at 6:09 PM, drakes2 said:

I wonder if something happened to the original envelope. I have had a package delivered to me in a clear plastic bag with a crushed box inside and a note from the USPS. 

I wonder if the original envelope just so damaged somehow they just put the contents in a new priority mail envelope as well as the delay. 

42 minutes ago, jkgourmet said:

Ours take exactly 2 minutes printed off our printer at home.

IMHO it's a ridiculous waste of money to manufacture and mail these things.  prediction:  they will start charging for them or discontinue them entirely.

Oh I'm sure that's coming in the very near future, however, in my case it's just easier to use the ones Celebrity mails out. I'm travelling solo and will have luggage, carry on and backpack plus my walking cane which I would hate to leave at the pier. (almost happened before).