Cellar Masters

GerScot

I have been on a few Celebrity Cruises and never used Cellar Masters, other than poking my nose in for a look. Always thought it was just for the wines but can you get ordinary drinks like beer and spirits in there? Any time I looked it was never busy!

Edited by GerScot

No spirits, but Cellar Masters on some ships does now have craft beer. Unfortunately it has been massively understaffed on our recent sailings, to the point where there was no reason to go in because there was no way to order a drink. IMO the way Celebrity handles the enomatic machines since drink packages came on the scene is part of the issue. The enomatic machines were a huge part of Cellar Masters' original concept/marketing and before drink packages, they were a great way to try a big selection of wines at a reasonable price. However, now that so many people sail with drink packages, it seems silly to pay for a glass or taste of wine out of the machine when there is such a variety of wine included in your package. On our last sailing, I saw MANY wines in the machines that were available elsewhere on the ship as part of the package - why on earth would I pay for them in Cellar Masters? If Celebrity would sell credits for the enomatic machines at a substantial discount to package holders, that might incentivize people to use the machines more, especially if they made sure to stock the machines with wines that weren't available elsewhere - but I have never seen such a discount offered. Too bad. 

• Like 2

I did not see an enomatic machine either on Solstice or Infinity.

On Infinity, the wine selection was limited during our Alaska cruise and service in that bar on that specific cruise, did not make it to the top of my best experiences. (this was the only moment/area of the cruise that did not blew me away). 

I think the idea of a bar such as Cellar Masters as so much potential, I look forward to find a X ship where the experience is memorable. 

Interesting that the enomatic machines are no longer present on some ships. I never saw anyone use them on our last Silhouette cruise, so perhaps they are gradually getting rid of them fleetwide. 

I thought Cellar Masters was being turned into the Gastro  Pub, at least on the Summit.  With that being said, if they do away with Cellar Masters, will they continue with the wine tastings events?  I always looked forward to it on the first sea day.

It's sad Celebrity just can't seem to figure out how to use technology effectively. Why on earth would they not see the enomatic machines as a way to fulfil the promise of the drink package without incurring the cost of a server? I'm sure someone will come along next and say "well, it could lead to abuse of the drink package because someone with a package could acquire wine for someone without a package" - but there are plenty of ways to control that.

On our recent Silhouette cruise we had drinks in Cellar Masters for the first time in our many sailings on Celebrity.  Was full every night we were there before dinner.  Sommelier and servers did a fantastic job.  Remembered what you wanted after first visit.  The enomatic machines were still there but all marked out of service.  You could order wine, beer and cocktails.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gfkcruiser said:

On our recent Silhouette cruise we had drinks in Cellar Masters for the first time in our many sailings on Celebrity.  Was full every night we were there before dinner.  Sommelier and servers did a fantastic job.  Remembered what you wanted after first visit.  The enomatic machines were still there but all marked out of service.  You could order wine, beer and cocktails.  

Agreed.  Perhaps the reason Cellar Masters was full was because the Select Dining was working so slow.   The Sommelier was one of the hardest working people on the ship and did a great job.

21 minutes ago, gfkcruiser said:

That is a big change for the better, then. On our last two cruises Cellar Masters was way understaffed - no sommelier at all, and few servers (and only at limited times). They were pushing the machines to the point that anyone trying to order a glass off the menu was summarily ignored. Hopefully the good service will continue until we're back on board!

9 hours ago, Alsmez said:

That is a big change for the better, then. On our last two cruises Cellar Masters was way understaffed - no sommelier at all, and few servers (and only at limited times). They were pushing the machines to the point that anyone trying to order a glass off the menu was summarily ignored. Hopefully the good service will continue until we're back on board!

Not a fan of the enomatic machines in Cellar Masters. Some of the wines are quite ordinary and with the 18% added work out expensive. I do, however, partake of the Wines around the World tour held on a sea day, sometimes two if it's a long sailing.  Cant beat the price for samplings of 6 red and 6 white for 20 bucks. They once ran out of a great Argentinian cab which we had not tried yet so the sommelier got one from the dining room and brought it back for the 4 of us to enjoy.  

1 hour ago, simon stingray said:

They should put a piano entertainer in there and watch it fill up with guests.

damn right!  Especially between 6pm until 7pm.  Our last 2 cruises had no nightly music anyplace during those hours.  

Edited by jkgourmet
  • Like 1

On 3/8/2019 at 1:14 PM, screwsmcernst said:

I thought Cellar Masters was being turned into the Gastro  Pub, at least on the Summit.  With that being said, if they do away with Cellar Masters, will they continue with the wine tastings events?  I always looked forward to it on the first sea day.

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! That is my favorite place on the Summit. 

2 hours ago, simon stingray said:

They should put a piano entertainer in there and watch it fill up with guests.

That's a great idea and would take the pressure of the Martini Bar especially before dinner.

• Like 3

The enomatic machines on the Reflection have been decommissioned. The sommelier stated the contract for them had recently expired and it was expected that the Cellar masters would be refitted next minor drydock visit.

Wine and beer were served by the sommelier.

40 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Yes, you can use your beverage package in Cellar Masters, just not in the machines.

Thanks for that, its just not a place I would have considered using before. You learn so much on here!

3 hours ago, GerScot said:

Were you able to use your drinks package to purchase these?

On our Dec cruise on the Eclipse the enogmatic machine was in CM, but didn't look like it was being used. The sommelier served wine and beer. People seemed to use CM used the seating as a meeting place or a relaxing place to consume a before dinner drink. Not crowded like the martini bar, but a busy place where you could still find a seat. 

13 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Maybe it depends on how busy it is in the Cellar Master, but my DW has ordered after dinner drinks while I enjoyed a speciality beer.  The server has it get it from a different bar.

Excellent service,putting the customer first.

• Thanks 1