"Interesting" review of NCL Dawn

Certainly "interesting". I haven't been on the Dawn so I don't know about the things specific to that ship, but my Norwegian experiences have been nothing like this guy's. Literally NOTHING like this. I have not had a single experience that he describes in that post.

As someone who has sailed on the Dawn numerous times, I found this review to be a chuckle. I do agree with him on a few points, though: 1) the Venetian dining room is creepy with the vandalism to the artwork, and 2) the photographers do hover at dinnertime, especially in the specialty restaurants.

• Like 1

Evidence, once again, as to how online reviews have to be taken with a pinch of salt.

I was staying at a hotel last weekend, which didn't have onsite parking. I went on tripadvisor to get an idea from others how far away the discounted car park was, and the consensus was that it is only a few minutes walk (which was the case, it was only a couple of hundred yards away). However, mixed amongst these reviews was one that said:

"DO NOT come by car to stay here, the parking is a good 20 minute walk back involving a climb of steps that nearly finished me off. There are nearer car parks just across the road - so why don’t they use those instead ????"

A totally random experience, and it's difficult to see what caused it, as the car park just across the road is the one the hotel uses. However, the person who wrote that really did seem to have that experience.

have to say, good for a laugh but so, so, so incorrect. Anytime a review has not one positive thing to say, you know it is not objective in any way. Yes, the window part was pretty funny, so was the part about the crew hating you even though they are always smiling. I hope I don't see this character on our next cruise. 

Interesting review and very funny. The reviewer had some great lines in there.

The room was the size of a coffin...

Oceanview window didn't open to let fresh air in ...

The air-conditioning was set too high ... think meat freezer, or the temperature of a morgue...

Nickel and diming.... convinced if they could charge you for the air you breathe, they would....

The reviewer may not have had a smile on their face during that cruise but their review put a big smile on my face this morning! :classic_biggrin:

Edited by DirtyDawg

Yeah, a chuckle, BUT ...

"We specifically booked an ocean view room to have fresh air through the window. Well, come to find out, the window does not open at all, and there is absolutely no ocean view."

Wasn't the ship still in port when they wrote the scammy review?

A troll ….

Also, they wrote what we already knew, ha ha, but we STILL go on cruises ...

Edited by bluesea777

He was dead on about the NCL nickel and dime.  We went to Bermuda last year and literally they would have charged for air if they could LOL.  Once you got passed that it really did not bother me.  I had cruised many years ago so it took some time to understand the packages and add-ons.  But at the same  time this guy probably needed to come here and learn more about cruises 🙂

2 hours ago, KateQ22003 said:

As someone who has sailed on the Dawn numerous times, I found this review to be a chuckle. I do agree with him on a few points, though: 1) the Venetian dining room is creepy with the vandalism to the artwork, and 2) the photographers do hover at dinnertime, especially in the specialty restaurants.

I haven't had any negative experiences with the photographers on my NCL sailings so far. Aside from the obligatory photo when first boarding the ship, which it does seem hard to get out of, a quick "no thank you" to any photographer on the ship and I was left alone. The do seem most common in the specialty restaurants, but I would say I have only been approached about a photo about 50% of the time I have dined in specialty restaurants and have never been asked for a photo more than once in a single meal. I have certainly never been "begged" for a photo. I have been asked politely, said "no thank you" and that was the end of it.

Similar to JamieLogical I've never felt hassled by a ship's photographer.  When dining if a photographer asked us if we wanted our picture taken we usually reply with a no thank you and they move on.

While I had a dish or two on a cruise that I didn't like I've always felt that the food was very good on NCL.

I think that reviewer allowed his disappointment with the cabin affect his entire cruise experience. Regardless that review is rediculous.

Edited by Oakman58

All I know is we cruised on the Dawn last Sept.  Consider it one of the nicest cruises we've had.  Ship beautiful, crew wonderful.  Would love to do it again soon.   Now, my thoughts about NCL nickle and diming and getting worse...that's another story....but still, separate from the Dawn.  

9 hours ago, ClarkBHM said:

Definitely good for a chuckle. My favorite line: "We specifically booked an ocean view room to have fresh air through the window. "

Yeah, I stopped at that.  LOL

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ClarkBHM said:

Definitely good for a chuckle. My favorite line: "We specifically booked an ocean view room to have fresh air through the window. "

That line gives it away.  He would have written the same review about any cruise line or any ship.  Obviously knows nothing about cruising. I'm surprised he didn't complain about seasickness too.  

Just noticed he also created the tripadvisor account just to write the review, username "CriticOfTheSea".

Bugs - Maroon.jpeg

Thanks for posting this.  I admit I have a guilty pleasure to read cruise reviews like this.  Very entertaining.  I wish someone would put them all in a book and you could read them all after the other.

There are some that are even more entertaining right here on Cruise Critic.  My 2 favorites are from the Jewel where a woman wrote paragraphs how there was NOTHING to eat and how she survived starvation from picking at bread. She wanted to get off the ship to eat and get food but they would not allow her.  The review was roll off the chair funny.

A recent Bliss review also was over the top.  A woman claimed she was ignored when she spilled water in a restaurant so she complained.  That night the ship sent chocolate covered strawberries to her cabin.  However she was with her husband in one cabin and her 2 teenage sons shared another cabin. They sent them to the son's room by mistake.  She said she went to the front desk and waited 35 minutes in line to complain to question where the strawberries came from.   She wanted to make sure a sexual predator was not sending them to her kid's room for other reasons.  She also stated they could never find a place to eat and sit down and had to have breakfast delivered to the cabin every morning.  And what I just wrote was the tip of the iceberg. 
Its pure entertainment IMHO.

Thanks to the OP for sharing that.  I find myself to be a (needlessly, sometimes) picky person who expects to get good value, good service, etc. when he pays for something.  I am by no means a push-over.  Yet when I read some of the reviews like this, it makes me wonder at what an idiot I must be...gosh, I don't find most of the food to be akin to swine-food.  I don't feel nickle & dimed.  I find the alcohol choices that come with my drink package actually get the job done.  I sleep well on the beds provided.  I enjoy most of the entertainment, even when I know it's often cheesy.  Must be something wrong with me.

Oh well...hopefully this review represents one less person to have to compete for space with on my next cruise.

19 hours ago, ClarkBHM said:

Yes and after they retrofit cruise ships with porthole windows that open,  airlines can do the same on their planes.

• Like 1

We certainly have had a good chuckle:

Window does not open at all, and there is absolutely no ocean view.

The window was the size of a human head, and absolutely nothing was viewable through it.

If the window in an Ocean View cabin did open - there would be plenty of complaints about

the waves splashing into the cabin. The water line is about 10 feet below the window. Those

port hole windows are not head size but more likely 3 feet in diameter. Maybe he had a big head.

Then again maybe he didn't pull the drapes aside to see how big it was.

Granted some windows are so salt encrusted to make viewing only the difference between light and dark -

these are not crystal clear photo opt windows.

Wonder what incentive TripAdvisor offered him for his very amateur rookie cruise critic report ?

One of the side lights of the MEET & GREET parties is the Cabin Crawl - if you haven't been on one

you should take it in to see how the cabins (aka rooms) and suites are for size and features and have

a better understanding of what you want in booking your next cruise.