How important is balcony on European cruise?

We have been on several Caribbean cruises with RCI all on Voyager class ships and above.  We have had a balcony cabin most of the time, which is nice, but, to be honest, we don't really use the balcony much.  We are only in the cabin to change clothes and sleep at night.  We are thinking of booking the Mediterranean Venice cruise on Jewel which leaves out of Barcelona and I'm wondering since this itinerary is much more port intensive if it would be worth it to have a balcony.  The difference in cost between an oceanview cabin and an oceanview balcony cabin is about $700.  Are there really pretty sights along the way on this route or when pulling into ports?  Do you think it's worth the extra cost?  Advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.

6 minutes ago, Sun Lover said:

We have been on several Caribbean cruises with RCI all on Voyager class ships and above.  We have had a balcony cabin most of the time, which is nice, but, to be honest, we don't really use the balcony much.  We are only in the cabin to change clothes and sleep at night.  We are thinking of booking the Mediterranean Venice cruise on Jewel which leaves out of Barcelona and I'm wondering since this itinerary is much more port intensive if it would be worth it to have a balcony.  The difference in cost between an oceanview cabin and an oceanview balcony cabin is about $700.  Are there really pretty sights along the way on this route or when pulling into ports?  Do you think it's worth the extra cost?  Advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.

We always book balcony cabins in Europe and eat our breakfast on the balcony while entering port.

There are some stunning ports and Venice is one of the best.

A balcony guarantee cabin might be worth your while checking the price.

A European cruise is very port intensive with longer periods off the ship. We look at the cost for a balcony, if we feel its too much we would rather spend the money on excursions etc. However $700 sounds pretty good to me, I would probably upgrade for that price.    

If a balcony stretches your budget to an uncomfortable point I would have no problem booking an inside or oceanview room.  I've done several cruises in Europe and it's all about the wonderful ports.  You can always go out on deck to watch the sailaway (or arrival).  Transatlantic airfare and tours can be quite an expensive addition to the total cost as well.

We are not balcony sitters and only enjoy them for glacier watching with a warm blanket and hot chocolate.  Otherwise we are out and about around the ship or onshore.  If I could get the husband to pay for a large suite I would do that but the majority of balcony rooms are no larger than a ocean view 

3 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

If a balcony stretches your budget to an uncomfortable point I would have no problem booking an inside or oceanview room.  I've done several cruises in Europe and it's all about the wonderful ports.  You can always go out on deck to watch the sailaway (or arrival).  Transatlantic airfare and tours can be quite an expensive addition to the total cost as well.

A lot of the port arrivals are around 6-8am and to be able to just walk out on to your balcony in your pyjamas and watch the sail in is magical.

Venice is one of our favourite sail in and out ports.

7 minutes ago, Hootss said:

We booked a cruise out of Barcelona in May on Oasis.  We really wanted the balcony in order to take in the ports, especially in the morning like grapau27 said.  

It is a brilliant 7 night itinerary out of Barcelona.

I'm sure you will have a fantastic time.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27

3 hours ago, Sun Lover said:

Like you we don't use our balcony often BUT do enjoy being able to walk directly outside from our cabin whenever we wish.  We'd miss not being able to do this.  :classic_wink:

We did a Mediterranean cruise on a Princess ship in May 2017, in a obstructed Ocean View room. 

Never again. 

We were constantly having to go out and try to find fresh air. The weather was HOT that May, so there were very few loungers available near the pool. Many a time we  shared one, sitting side ways as there was only one available. How I wished for my balcony. 

The following summer we returned to a balcony, even though we were sailing in the Baltic Sea.

I am a very early riser and love to go and sit on the balcony while my husband is still asleep. The ship will be entering port, so there is plenty to watch and take photos of, especially in Venice.

8 hours ago, grapau27 said:

A lot of the port arrivals are around 6-8am and to be able to just walk out on to your balcony in your pyjamas and watch the sail in is magical.

Venice is one of our favourite sail in and out ports.

There are many reasons why we will only book balconies and that is one of the biggest. You can just step outside when arriving into port and you don't have to look to decent. Finding a place to sit is never a problem and it's nice and relaxing. Having breakfast out there is great as is having a drink later on in the evening and watching the waves go by. So peaceful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ReneeFLL said:

There are many reasons why we will only book balconies and that is one of the biggest. You can just step outside when arriving into port and you don't have to look to decent. Finding a place to sit is never a problem and it's nice and relaxing. Having breakfast out there is great as is having a drink later on in the evening and watching the waves go by. So peaceful.

We are the same.

I always order the hot room service breakfast and we can sit on our balcony in pyjamas and eat breakfast at leisure watching the sail in to port.

Another vote for a balcony from me. We are balcony people anyway, we love the fresh air and views wherever we are and whatever the weather but realise this is not so important to everyone. 

However as your itinerary includes Venice, that alone would make me splurge, as has already been said it is one of the most spectacular sail-ins anywhere and it's lovely to enjoy it in your own private space. Not sure of your other ports but Malta is also a lovely sail in if you happen to be going there.

Julie

Check your itinerary. There are some port arrivals that are breathtaking and worth every extra penny. Others are industrial ports far away from the city they serve.

On our last Med Cruise, Valletta, Malta was jawdropping beautiful, and even thogh we had a balcony, I went up on deck to have a 360 degree view. Other ports like Marseille and Palermo were plain, industrial and ugly. 

With that said, I do believe that a balcony will always enhance your cruise experience no matter where you go. As others mentioned, if you won’t be sacrificing other things (like excursions) in order to get a balcony, I’d say go for it! 

We have had all cabins on different ships, and we like the OV best. Unless you are up early you won't see entering port, and it is better on top decks. Also when ship is moving it is very noisy with wind etc on balcony. We  did a few Med cruises and the balcony just wasn't worth it to us. That being said, this is my opinion, but you have to decide if you are going to spend $700 worth of time on balcony, or if going on deck for 360 degree view is better. Your choice, but enjoy your decision.

6 hours ago, chev29 said:

We have had all cabins on different ships, and we like the OV best. Unless you are up early you won't see entering port, and it is better on top decks. Also when ship is moving it is very noisy with wind etc on balcony. We  did a few Med cruises and the balcony just wasn't worth it to us. That being said, this is my opinion, but you have to decide if you are going to spend $700 worth of time on balcony, or if going on deck for 360 degree view is better. Your choice, but enjoy your decision.

If people believe European ports are not worth looking at, why bother with a window at all?😁

• Like 1

Didn't say anything about ports, just said you can see better from decks. If you are on wrong side of ship, you don't see much . Get a window cabin for same reason you have hotel room with windows, daylight instead of bulbs.

3 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Looking forward (really backward) to my true aft JS view for my Med/Greece itinerary that includes Malta.

Lucky you!  Our last Med cruise included Malta (one of the main reasons we booked it) but it was cancelled due to a storm.  Have yet to visit Malta and unfortunately it's not that common of a port stop.  Hopefully we'll get there some day.  Enjoy that cruise and the aft JS!

• Like 1

If cost was a concern I would get the cheapest cabin I was happy with and have more money to spend in port.

Europe is pretty expensive, so if you are not particularly bothered by not having a balcony, then go for the cheaper room.

I have been in all rooms types and on an alaska or Norway cruise I would recommend a balcony.

But the Mediterranean is not a must have for the Balcony. Leaving Venice takes about 30 min journey and you get great views from the deck.

Also you might be on the wrong side of the ship all you will see is the sea

🌊😊

32 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

Lucky you!  Our last Med cruise included Malta (one of the main reasons we booked it) but it was cancelled due to a storm.  Have yet to visit Malta and unfortunately it's not that common of a port stop.  Hopefully we'll get there some day.  Enjoy that cruise and the aft JS!

We also chose this itinerary for Malta & Greece. Going mid May and hoping for some great weather.

Thanks so much !!