Caribbean Formal Chic

fizzy1

“Evening Chic” has replaced “Formal” on Celebrity.  On those nights the dress code is not any different from other nights.  Men are not allowed to wear shorts in the MDR or specialty restaurants for dinner any night.  You will see everything from khakis and a polo/golf or Hawaiian style shirt to a button down shirt without a tie, with a tie, without a coat or with one.  There will be men in tuxes or kilts.  Dress up as much or as little (within the guidelines) as you wish.  And don’t be bothered by people who will bemoan the demise of civilization when they have to gaze at you without a coat and tie.  😜

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, fizzy1 said:

We are taking our first Caribbean cruise next year. Is formal chic for guys the usual attire as elsewhere or more  “ chilled out”  

Pretty much you don't have to dress up too much. You'll see a lot of dressy styles on longer trips. Just bring some nice shirts/pants & a sport coat & tie will suffice fine for "chic" nights. Don't let the naysayers however, tell you can dress like at the local flea market. You might find yourself relegated at the buffet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fizzy1 said:

We are taking our first Caribbean cruise next year. Is formal chic for guys the usual attire as elsewhere or more  “ chilled out”  

Per Celebrity's website. Plenty of options.

Formal Night gets a modern luxury reboot. Say goodbye to Formal Night, and hello to Evening Chic. It’s your time to shine—your way. Get glamorous. Get chic. Be sophisticated. Now, on up to two nights on every cruise, Evening Chic activities have been introduced, and Evening Chic attire has replaced Formal attire. While dressier than Smart Casual, Evening Chic is intended to be less dressy than Formal attire.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• A cocktail dress
  • Skirt, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater
  • Optional sport coat or blazer

Evening Chic means that you can get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way. If you would like to still wear a tuxedo or formal gown on Evening Chic nights, you absolutely should.

All cruises that are 7 nights or longer will feature two Evening Chic nights. Any cruise 6-nights or shorter will feature one Evening Chic night. All other nights of the cruise will feature Smart Casual attire. Celebrity Xpedition will continue to feature casual attire for the entire cruise.

Smart Casual attire can be enjoyed every other night of your cruise.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• Skirt, pants or jeans with a casual top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• Pants or jeans with a short sleeve sport shirt.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the Smart Casual or Evening Chic dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the correct attire each evening.

• Like 1

Recently back from Equinox in Carribean.  First chic night DH wore a long sleeve shirt and slacks.  Second one he wore a Hawaiian short sleeve shirt.  He was fine both nights.  I wore slacks and a dressy top one night and a dress and sweater.  We were just fine.  Yes, there were people more dressed up than we were, but more were dressed like us. We like looking nice, but we are done stuffing dress clothes, suits and more shoes into a suitcase for two nights.   It is your vacation - enjoy it your way!

• Like 1

Currently on the Silhouette.  Most people follow dress codes.  Men wear tuxs, suites slacks.  Didn’t see any shorts at dinner.  

Ladies also formal to slacks and fancy tops.  Some people changed into more casual attire after dinner.  Guess suits and formal dresses got too tight!  Lol!  Enjoy your cruise 

15 hours ago, keithm said:

Pretty much you don't have to dress up too much. You'll see a lot of dressy styles on longer trips. Just bring some nice shirts/pants & a sport coat & tie will suffice fine for "chic" nights. Don't let the naysayers however, tell you can dress like at the local flea market. You might find yourself relegated at the buffet.

Sports coat and tie are not required, this is the writers opinion but will be seen.

Helen Haywood gave the best description, just about anything will be seen but no shorts. The beauty of it is it’s your choice.

Edited by dkjretired
  • Like 1

In the last year we have cruised from Southampton, Barcelona and Fort Lauderdale on Celebrity.

Dispite the same dress code for all cruises we did see a difference particularly for men.  The Southampton cruise was the most dressy with most men in suits, tux or kilts. In the Med the men wore mainly smart shirts and some wore jackets. In the Caribbean my husband and son both took jackets but didn’t wear them they just wore smart shirts as most other guests were. 

1 hour ago, chemmo said:

In the last year we have cruised from Southampton, Barcelona and Fort Lauderdale on Celebrity.

Dispite the same dress code for all cruises we did see a difference particularly for men.  The Southampton cruise was the most dressy with most men in suits, tux or kilts. In the Med the men wore mainly smart shirts and some wore jackets. In the Caribbean my husband and son both took jackets but didn’t wear them they just wore smart shirts as most other guests were. 

And we did Alaska, much less formal than even the Caribbean.

On the Silhouette in December 2019, I wore either slacks or dress black jeans with button down, collared shirt.  Chose a couple that had a fun pattern.  There were lots  of people who dressed that way.  Of course, you do also see those in formal dresses and tuxes.  Enjoy whatever you decide.

9 minutes ago, DENIE said:

On the Silhouette in December 2019, I wore either slacks or dress black jeans with button down, collared shirt. 

Into the future. Thanks for giving me a good chuckle, I assume you meant 2018. Katie

17 minutes ago, Oville said:

Into the future. Thanks for giving me a good chuckle, I assume you meant 2018. Katie 

Ha!  Yes, I did.  Been going back and forth on our plans for a cruise this November 2019, and had that year stuck in my mind.  Yes, was referring to "2018".😝

8 minutes ago, DENIE said:

Ha!  Yes, I did.  Been going back and forth on our plans for a cruise this November 2019, and had that year stuck in my mind.  Yes, was referring to "2018".😝

Always fun on these boards to get a big smile, good luck on your decision regarding a November cruise.  Katie

Edited by Oville
  • Thanks 1

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 10:53 AM, dkjretired said:

Sports coat and tie are not required, this is the writers opinion but will be seen.

Helen Haywood gave the best description, just about anything will be seen but no shorts. The beauty of it is it’s your choice.

Never said it was required. Chic night IS supposed to be more special. It's not totally "your" choice there ARE guidelines that should be followed. Shorts are unfortunately sneaking in on occasion because of Maître D's not enforcing basics at dinner. As for me, If I see shorts at dinner, yes, I will say something.

The official dress code may not have changed a lot but we were on the Edge last month and I would say no more than 50% of 5he men had on sport jackets or suits.  The first night i wore a jack and tie but on the second I just wore a long sleeve dress shirt.  Very laid back compared to past years I thought.  

We thought EDGE was more dressy than some other X  ships.  In  general everyone looks great...

DH wears  dress slacks and his silk Tommy Bahama shirts . ..not the loud Carib ones ..saves those for Carib night. No longer wears ties!

Other nights  he wears just dockers/ khakis and a nice collared  shirt  ...no one has banned him for short sleeves.  

16 minutes ago, hcat said:

We thought EDGE was more dressy than some other X  ships.  In  general everyone looks great...

DH wears  dress slacks and his silk Tommy Bahama shirts . ..not the loud Carib ones ..saves those for Carib night. No longer wears ties!

Other nights  he wears just dockers/ khakis and a nice collared  shirt  ...no one has banned him for short sleeves.  

No issues with short sleeves unless they are T shirts. Polo shirts are fine as are "dress" short sleeve. Nice to see Tommy Bahama, shirts, too. They look like what they're worth, not like those cheesy tropic shirts for $19.95 you find at Bj's/Costco/Sam's Club. On Oceania I had a few of the Tommy shirts(which go great with a light sport coat)along with a few dressier shirts & slacks for the specialties. After being on Oceania, their "Country Club Casual" really looked nice. Nice shirt/slacks/sport coat(no ties). 

23 hours ago, DENIE said:

On the Silhouette in December 2019, I wore either slacks or dress black jeans with button down, collared shirt.  Chose a couple that had a fun pattern.  There were lots  of people who dressed that way.  Of course, you do also see those in formal dresses and tuxes.  Enjoy whatever you decide.

Denie, was that a time travel cruise? I thought we were only up to March 2019!😉😂 Anyway, I say the same thing on Silhouette in December, 2018. It's nice that there are a wide range of acceptable choices that allow for personal expression and comfort.

5 hours ago, keithm said:

Never said it was required. Chic night IS supposed to be more special. It's not totally "your" choice there ARE guidelines that should be followed. Shorts are unfortunately sneaking in on occasion because of Maître D's not enforcing basics at dinner. As for me, If I see shorts at dinner, yes, I will say something.

We are obviously travelling on different cruises at different times. Apart from the first evening on board (which is NEVER an evening chic night) when some folks may have not gotten their luggage delivered yet (and I really thought hard and couldn't even recall it then) I've never seen shorts in the MDR! Just a suggestion, but unless you're wearing officer's bars, most folks could care less if you comment on their attire and some may take a rather negative and unpleasant reaction to your unwanted comments about their clothing choice. Do as you like, obviously it's your choice how to conduct yourself.

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 10:31 AM, Cruise a holic said:

Some people changed into more casual attire after dinner.  Guess suits and formal dresses got too tight!

All of my clothes seem to get tight after dinner(s) on a cruise ship  🙂

In all honesty it’s seems pretty much wear anything these days apart from shorts and swimwear. Unless it’s Cunard who seem to be one of the last cruise lines to stick to traditional dress code on a cruise.