Blu - no private tables?

Bob7

9 hours ago, MizDemeanor said:

FWIW we have had wonderful conversations with other assigned to tables of two's in the MDR where the tables for two were just as close as they are in Blu.

Great, hopefully we'll be seated next to each other someday soon.

16 hours ago, Member123 said:

Do you frequently travel in AQ?

Please, don't let some of these comments inform your opinion and prompt action on your last statement. AQ is one of my favorite stateroom categories onboard ship and I've continued to sail through loss of AQ amenities simply because of BLU. Not only have we sat next to complete strangers who later became such good friends that we've booked cruises together, but also sat next to complete strangers who remained strangers. It all depends upon the mood of the next table and, also admittedly, our mood that evening. 

We've had birthday celebrations and anniversary celebrations in BLU. Some we wanted to mingle with others; some we wanted some more quiet time. There are alcoves within BLU that are, decidedly, private spaces, especially in the back area away from the windows. We've been seated at a table that we fondly nicknamed "no man's land" because it was too far away from other tables to engage in conversation. That table right next to the column? Practically in the middle of the restaurant on the M-class ships?

Anyway, I find BLU to be absolutely superb. I had my own trepidation before my first BLU experience. My advice is to simply go... see for yourself... make an informed decision. What do the philosophers say? Know Thyself. If you're a social person who enjoys conversation, it's a brilliant place to be. If you're a more reserved person who likes the exclusivity of a 2-top... in my opinion, they can accommodate you in BLU. It's a matter of asking for what you want and evaluating if you received.

Well said.  My husband and I totally agree!

8 hours ago, sft429 said:

I could be wrong but if you are sailing Aqua, then Blu is your assigned dining room.  I don't think you are given the option of dining in the MDR.

I don’t think you are wrong but I have heard it is possible to ask for a table occasionally in the Select area of the MDR and you maybe accommodated. This depends very much on the MDR staff who may be reluctant to allocate a table to guests who already have one in Blu whilst Select diners are waiting for tables.  Personally I much prefer Blu. 

2 hours ago, sandancer said:

I don’t think you are wrong but I have heard it is possible to ask for a table occasionally in the Select area of the MDR and you maybe accommodated. This depends very much on the MDR staff who may be reluctant to allocate a table to guests who already have one in Blu whilst Select diners are waiting for tables.  Personally I much prefer Blu. 

It is definitely possible to dine in the MDR when you are in Aqua class and assigned to Blu. Although we prefer Blu, we have done it on occasion when we've sailed with friends who were not in Aqua class by simply making a reservation in MDR Select area. 

On 3/24/2019 at 7:56 PM, GrayMaineCruiser said:

The tables are close but I never felt, even when we had a couple sitting in a table next to us, that our conversations were on display or being eavesdropped on.  Depending on when you arrive, if it's not super busy I'm sure you could ask to be seated in one of the more empty portions of the dining room.  

Also, just FYI, the table situation is pretty similar in Luminae.  

Honestly, even as a couple of introverts, my wife and I liked having the opportunity, if wanted by our neighbors, to engage in a little chit-chat to learn more about our fellow cruisers.  

You've been lucky re not being 'eavesdropped on'.  Most of our 'separate tables' co-diners have shown great etiquette in keeping their conversations (and ours) as private as possible, and engage when and if we both seem to open to each other.  Have enjoyed meeting many cruisers of all nationalities during our 2 top meals.

That being said, it always hasn't been the case;  last cruise we experienced a woman so engaged in what we were saying she made steady eye contact - which I would look away from - smile at what we were saying, even gave us a thumbs up...LOL.  Very annoying and hard to ignore.  It all depends on the diner and their personal manners.

People tend to like to sit at the same tables and it’s easy to see some even dine at the same time so there can be a recurrence which then can become a friendliness. 

If that is a concern I’d request different tables when being seated and in different areas or the room in order to maintain some social distance. 

When in Aqua Class, Blu is entirely optional.

In fact when we were on the Summit in January, we actually ate more in the MDR, than in Blu. We are in the minority that feel that Blu is over rated.

As to the table closeness, on that cruise, the Maitre d’ told us that after the renovation, even more tables were to be put into Blu. He said that they planned on utilizing the space at the entry. Perhaps someone who will be on the new ship can verify this. 

On 3/24/2019 at 9:31 PM, sft429 said:

I could be wrong but if you are sailing Aqua, then Blu is your assigned dining room.  I don't think you are given the option of dining in the MDR.

If you are in an AQ cabin your assigned dining room is Blu, you do not have a seat assigned for you in the MDR.  The menu's will be posted outside the respective dining rooms and you may be able to sit in the MDR if room is available. 

From all the hype on here I was expecting great things. Sadly dissapointed.

You could share a meal with next table, table so close, would have been better to sit side by side with partner, that is nearer than across the table.

Also expected great food, but was not to be. Managed to get main restaurant menu and ate off that. Would not waste money again. If I went with Celebrity again it would be a balcony and speciality restaurants, which were OK.

2 hours ago, Pentlands said:

From all the hype on here I was expecting great things. Sadly dissapointed.

You could share a meal with next table, table so close, would have been better to sit side by side with partner, that is nearer than across the table.

Also expected great food, but was not to be. Managed to get main restaurant menu and ate off that. Would not waste money again. If I went with Celebrity again it would be a balcony and speciality restaurants, which were OK.

I guess we are in the minority, too.  We tried it twice and it was a disappointment both times (different ships - Summit and Solstice).  The food was just okay, the service was just okay and the tables were crammed together with zero privacy.  On Summit we asked to please be re-assigned to the MDR, which they graciously accommodated.  We enjoy the MDR and some of the specialty restaurants much more and it's much less expensive than booking Aqua class (the cabins are exactly the same as the standard balconies).  To each their own, but definitely not for us ever again.

We have sailed in Blu many times on both S and M class ships.  Yes, the tables are very close together but there are a few that are not quite so close as has been mentioned.  We rarely find it an issue as regards privacy.  You can easily figure out if your next door 'neighbors' are talkers or not, and in most cases they can read your body language as well.  If you want to talk and they are open to it, you can have some nice and very interesting conversations with people from all over the world (ok, mostly Canada, Germany, or the UK on Caribbean cruises, but still....).  If you prefer to talk with just your spouse,  in almost all cases that is how it will go.  What I would not expect is to have a very intimate conversation that you would not want anyone to overhear.  That will not happen in Blu unless you dine very, very late when the restaurant is clearing out.  If you want that kind of privacy, show up at 8:30 or 8:45 and the room will soon be clearing out and you will have more privacy.

58 minutes ago, Gimpy McFarlan said:

For those who have commented that the tables are too close to each other...  How many inches apart would the tables need to be for you to consider them “private”?  12 inches?  24 inches?  36 inches?

I'm still confused as to why you would have a private conversation in a public venue. 

Because I would like to discuss what we are going to do with our evening/next day without having someone on my elbow who butts in when not invited or welcome, as happened to us in Blu.

I don't pay expensively for Aqua to be rudely interupted at dinner when talking to my wife.

Edited by Pentlands
  • Like 1

I'm going to find out next week, but from what I recall on S Class before any re-no that I can comment on and in my memory some areas the distance is only 12 -15 inches or so, or, Very close.

Having said that, there are very high end dining venues that we enjoy on land where the table distance is not more than that. Enough for a waiter to ger his or her hind end propertly in place for outstanding service.

A little chit chat never hurt anyone, its like chit chat at the Martini Bar. No one complains about that!

• Like 1

There are two issues for me.  One is that the wait will lean over the table to place the course in front of me.  The other is that during routine conversations (nothing personal or private), neighbors will join in the conversation.  

26 minutes ago, MizDemeanor said:

A little chit chat never hurt anyone, its like chit chat at the Martini Bar. No one complains about that!

This may be true, but what if I don't want to chit chat. It's an uncomfortable situation for an introvert. Maybe we just found out we are pregnant and we are having that fun conversation where we think up names and we don't want input from the mayor of the restaurant that wants to tell me nautical facts he learned on his deep sea fishing excursion.

Yes, I know. I painted that a bit extreme. My point is, not everyone thinks dinner is time for chit chat with strangers. Over a cocktail at The Martini Bar...or any bar for that matter or the blackjack table. Know your audience. I also would like to reiterate, we have sailed Aqua and ate almost all of our meals there. The tables are close, but at no time did I feel my conversation nor my privacy being encroached on. We loved the food as well as the ambiance. This was on the Reflection about 5 years ago. We are booked Aqua on Millie a year from now and I expect to find a similar experience.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, keesar said:

There are two issues for me.  One is that the wait will lean over the table to place the course in front of me.  The other is that during routine conversations (nothing personal or private), neighbors will join in the conversation.  

The staff should know proper service. If they can't get in place to accomplish that then its a diferent service story. It can be from the right ot the left, so they do have to get near to you to serve you. 

1 minute ago, txflood33 said:

This may be true, but what if I don't want to chit chat. It's an uncomfortable situation for an introvert. Maybe we just found out we are pregnant and we are having that fun conversation where we think up names and we don't want input from the mayor of the restaurant that wants to tell me nautical facts he learned on his deep sea fishing excursion.

Yes, I know. I painted that a bit extreme. My point is, not everyone thinks dinner is time for chit chat with strangers. Over a cocktail at The Martini Bar...or any bar for that matter or the blackjack table. Know your audience. I also would like to reiterate, we have sailed Aqua and ate almost all of our meals there. The tables are close, but at no time did I feel my conversation nor my privacy being encroached on. We loved the food as well as the ambiance. This was on the Reflection about 5 years ago. We are booked Aqua on Millie a year from now and I expect to find a similar experience.  

No, not eveyone, incluing this poster thinks that nearby tables are an opening for conversation. I could care less about about anything about diner tables nearby. And FWIW, I have no desire to know MY AUDIENCE. I do that at work, and while I'm not at work and I have and hone those skills, I am also not cooking in the kitchen where I have serious skills too. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MizDemeanor said:

No, not eveyone, incluing this poster thinks that nearby tables are an opening for conversation. I could care less about about anything about diner tables nearby. And FWIW, I have no desire to know MY AUDIENCE. I do that at work, and while I'm not at work and I have and hone those skills, I am also not cooking in the kitchen where I have serious skills too. 

Yessssss