Escape cagneys shrimp cocktail upcharge

gizfish

I read something about this and it was at Ocean Blue.  I thought maybe Ocean Blue was serving some sort of exotic shrimp or something.  Cagneys charging $5 for 3 tiny shrimp while patrons have already paid for their meal there is absurd.

If this is true, has NCL pulled shrimp from the Haven menu?  Or are they also charging Haven guests $5.

The bean counters at NCL are trying to see how many of your vacation dollars that they can get a hold of... Hopefully the passengers speak with their wallets by resisting this blatant money grab. I, for one will tell them to keep their precious little shrimp...

I ate at Cagneys last tuesday and ordered the shrimp for $4.99.  There were 3 huge shrimp which were very good and I had lots of OBC to spend so I didn't mind. Imagine my suprise when I got the receipt and I was not charged for them. Hope NCL doesn't read this.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, slugg said:

$5 *additional* charge for 3 freaking shrimp!? I pay $5 total for an entire pound of shrimp!

well I can get it frozen for about $6. Of course two things to remember: 1-the shrimp they use are  little bigger than what you probably get for $5 and depending on where you live the quality can vary. I am guessing you never have seen the size of the shrimp they serve on cruise ships. Heck I can cook an entire Lobster dinner for 2 people for what I pay for a small Lobster anywhere but it won't be nearly as good probably. Don't get me wrong, I hate this stupid surcharge, crap but how much we pay for something has little to do with what we pay in a restaurant. 

1 minute ago, newmexicoNita said:

well I can get it frozen for about $6. Of course two things to remember: 1-the shrimp they use are  little bigger than what you probably get for $5 and depending on where you live the quality can vary. I am guessing you never have seen the size of the shrimp they serve on cruise ships. Heck I can cook an entire Lobster dinner for 2 people for what I pay for a small Lobster anywhere but it won't be nearly as good probably. Don't get me wrong, I hate this stupid surcharge, crap but how much we pay for something has little to do with what we pay in a restaurant. 

Oh, but it does. The more ridiculous the price, the lower the value proposition, and the harder it is to enjoy. For normal people, at least. But Cruise Critic seems to be full of top 1% elitists. For the 99% like us, we don’t like to get gouged. 

Now factor this in. On a cruise ship, you e already paid for dinner. When you go to Cagneys, you then pay even more *in addition* to what you’ve already paid. Then to get these three shrimp, you then pay *in addition* to that. You’re not paying $5 for the shrimp; you’re probably somewhere closer to $15 or $20. That’s absurd, especially when it was originally included in the specialty dining upcharge and changed without notice. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

Also, I guarantee you any shrimp or lobster I make would be better than anything you’d find on a cruise ship. But that’s off topic. 😉

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, gizfish said:

Just a heads up as I haven't seen this on the boards...cagneys now charges $4.99 surcharge for the shrimp cocktail "trio of shrimp" when you order it on the dining plan.

Yikes.  I hope they have 'upgraded the shrimp (size and quality) since our recent Bliss cruise.  🙄  If they are  serving is the same trio in the Martini glass of ice I had, not worth it.

Made an entire review of Bliss in this link.  Below is an excerpt re: Cagney's.

CAGNEYS – D

We book Cagney’s on NCL 2-3 per week typically.  After our first dinner in week one, we cancelled all of the other reservations.  We ordered shrimp apps that disappointed in size of shrimp and iced texture.  Like those in a frozen bag 31-40 count.  Certainly different then our first cruises on this class of ship, not only with regard to size (yes, I know you can order several) but also not prepared properly at all.  We shared an iceberg lettuce wedge; best part of the meal.  Then the disappointment.  My Australian lamb looked perfectly cooked medium rare and was.  However, it had ZERO TASTE.  Never figured that out, NOT ONLY NOT GAMEY, but didn’t taste like anything at all.  Wife’s 5 Oz fillet was perfectly colored medium, beautiful sear; absolutely ZERO TASTE.  Our onion rings (I got 2) were cold and the batter had separated from the onions.  When our server “finally” came back, our plates were 3/4ths uneaten.  Never even asked why.  This would have been an F, but we’ve had dozens of great meals at Cagney’s before.

I will say, regarding the restaurant specialty restaurants, we spoke with many couples in the Vibe, and others in the Observation Lounge, that had BOTH + and - experiences at the same venue.  In context, that could mean our ratings could possibly all reverse.  However, we did Le Bistro, La Cucina and Q twice during the two weeks with the same result.  Also, to be fair, we also did not visit Cagney's or Ocean Blue for a 2nd time in the two weeks.

7 minutes ago, slugg said:

Oh, but it does. The more ridiculous the price, the lower the value proposition, and the harder it is to enjoy. For normal people, at least. But Cruise Critic seems to be full of top 1% elitists. For the 99% like us, we don’t like to get gouged. 

Now factor this in. On a cruise ship, you e already paid for dinner. When you go to Cagneys, you then pay even more *in addition* to what you’ve already paid. Then to get these three shrimp, you then pay *in addition* to that. You’re not paying $5 for the shrimp; you’re probably somewhere closer to $15 or $20. That’s absurd, especially when it was originally included in the specialty dining upcharge and changed without notice. 

I  will just add one more thing to your comment and then I will drop it: I don't know where you eat or how often you eat out, but normally when we order a meal we do pay extra for an appetizer and we have seen shrimp cocktails for a heck of a lot more then $5 in most restaurants. If you eat somewhere that includes a shrimp cocktail good for you. 

1 minute ago, newmexicoNita said:

I  will just add one more thing to your comment and then I will drop it: I don't know where you eat or how often you eat out, but normally when we order a meal we do pay extra for an appetizer and we have seen shrimp cocktails for a heck of a lot more then $5 in most restaurants. If you eat somewhere that includes a shrimp cocktail good for you. 

I will just add one more thing to your comment and then I will drop it: I don’t know where you learned about economics or ever deal with money, but all food is paid for. Your cruise fare plus cover charge or dining package is not free. Those are what pays for your appetizers at Cagney’s. When you go to a normal restaurant, you pay directly for what you order. The business model is different, but in the end, you do pay for the food in both cases.

This upcharge on top of the dining plan and cover charge is just another form of bait and switch. It’s an ethical issue. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hah, I've barely been cruising any time at all, and even I can remember when 

1) Lobster was included in dishes in Cagney's and LeBistro, and the Haven

2) Then lobster was an upcharge

3) Then lobster disappeared from all menus, to be replaced with shrimp

4) Now shrimp is an upcharge?

Prediction on next thing that's going to disappear: the 'complimentary' prime rib nights. The fancy steak' course of the week will be those chewy little minute steaks they serve on the buffet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, david_sobe said:

If this is true, has NCL pulled shrimp from the Haven menu?  Or are they also charging Haven guests $5.

As of last week the Haven restaurant still had  shrimp cocktail on the menu, with no surcharge. 

However, that is not true of Bayamo. Their surcharge was $6,99 I believe (did not order it).

Not only that, but their ridiculous $10 surcharge actually becomes $12 because -- wait for it --

they charge 20% gratuity on the surcharge!

• Haha 1

The Bayamo surcharge on the shrimp was $4.99 plus the 20%.   On top of the $10 upcharge and the $2 service charge.  It really is ridiculous at this point.  I was never a nickel and dimer but it has gotten to that point.  NCL is near losing another loyal cruiser here.  My partner who has been the biggest fan of NCL even said last cruise, he thinks it's time to try another cruise line.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Kalum said:

So how much do you have to pay when you pay ala carte?

According to the menus I’ve seen, $6.99. But this may be out of date. You know how it is with those menus. 

Last 3 cruises I have sailed, the buffet had unlimited shrimp and mussels-on-the-half-shell on ice during seafood night.  They were excellent.  Plenty of cocktail and other sauces available.  

2019: NCL's year of Nickel and Dimes.

My post from a  thread January 23, 2019

"NCL New Years Resolution: to NOT stop the nickel and dime. I wouldn't be surprised if they increase the price of the beverage package another $10.00 per day and maybe even increase the "gratuities" as well. They have already increase the Bliss week pass for the go karts from $99 to $199, steak prices increase in the steak..."

Edited by Georgie562
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Is the added charge mentioned on the menu? Or is this something they try to sneak past you?

In all fairness to NCL, I've never had them try and "sneak" something past me on a charge.  

But my solution to the shrimp cost, simply do not buy it.  

39 minutes ago, FLAHAM said:

Last 3 cruises I have sailed, the buffet had unlimited shrimp and mussels-on-the-half-shell on ice during seafood night.  They were excellent.  Plenty of cocktail and other sauces available.  

Yep, IF I am ever in Cagney's again, I'll ask them if I can bring my own shrimp from the buffet.  🙂

• Haha 1