Country Club Causual dress code

cflutist

I read no tuxes nor evening gowns, but what exactly is O's dress code for MDR dinner?

First time O cruiser, on a 20-day cruise to Greenland,  Iceland,  Scotland,  Ireland,  and Faroe Islands if that makes a difference. 

Silversea normally has formal nights, but it was causual on our Expedition cruise to Antarctica. 

For men, slacks and a collared shirt is fine in both GDR and specialties. I once brought a blazer- wasted luggage weight. For women, I'd say that "little black cocktail dress" always works in an uncertain situation.

Nonetheless, you will see some sports jackets and the rare suit in the specialties. 

What you won't see in the GDR for dinner are shorts, tee shirts, flip flops, jeans, etc.

From your profile, it looks like you're from SF. Think Hayes Street Grill, Slanted Door, Perbacco or Foreign Cinema. They are about as dressed up as you might want to get in either an Oceania GDR or specialty restaurant.

• Like 3

I will be going on my first Oceania cruise this year and I think I have a good idea about the MDR dress code.

Is there any dress code for the Terrace Café or does anything go?

On most cruise lines (even those with semi strict MDR dress codes) almost any thing is allowed in the buffet at any time.

7 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

I will be going on my first Oceania cruise this year and I think I have a good idea about the MDR dress code.

Is there any dress code for the Terrace Café or does anything go?

On most cruise lines (even those with semi strict MDR dress codes) almost any thing is allowed in the buffet at any time.

Firstly, the Terrace Café is far from a "buffet." With "a la minute" cooking, "al fresco" dining options and no self-service, a better label would be the casual dining option on an Oceania ship.

That said, there are still decorous expectations beyond "no shoes, no shirt, no service." 

Bottom line: If you dress like a slob, you'll stick out like a sore thumb. 

• Haha 1

Even in terrace cafe there are requirements, no beach wear without cover up, no wet suits. In evening long pants for men suggested, no flip flops, no shirts without sleeves.  Although not turned away certainly remember this is not the beach. On another note the buffet lines are not supposed to self serve to prevent noro . 

• Like 1

I love it when people make up their own dress codes.

FYI, shorts are specifically mentioned in the dailies as being allowed in Terrace at dinner. The only people that are suggesting long pants are those that think that's the way it should be. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, kibutzer said:

no shirts without sleeves.

What exactly is this? Do you mean tank tops? If so, they are not shirts.

Short sleeve collared shirts are allowed in ALL dining venues.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ORV said:

I love it when people make up their own dress codes.

FYI, shorts are specifically mentioned in the dailies as being allowed in Terrace at dinner. The only people that are suggesting long pants are those that think that's the way it should be. 

👍👍👍 On two recent Marina and Riviera cruises ... shorts in the Terrace Cafe at night were more common than long pants.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, cflutist said:

First time O cruiser, on a 20-day cruise to Greenland,  Iceland,  Scotland,  Ireland,  and Faroe Islands if that makes a difference. 

I think your ports of call should be your guide.  These will be cooler climates in general.  DH takes a sport coat to these destinations (also Alaska) just for warmth.  Generally, in the Mediterranean or other warmer destinations he will not pack a jacket for dinner. For me one or two dress slacks, dressy tops and sweater/shawl for cooler environs.  Very easy and relaxed.  Enjoy your cruise!

Katie

• Like 3

9 hours ago, kibutzer said:

Even in terrace cafe there are requirements, no beach wear without cover up, no wet suits. In evening long pants for men suggested, no flip flops, no shirts without sleeves.  Although not turned away certainly remember this is not the beach. On another note the buffet lines are not supposed to self serve to prevent noro . 

Not sure it is accurate to  you say that in the evening long pants are "suggested" for men in the Terrace casual dining venue?  Have you EVER seen that in writing from Oceania?? Or is this another dining dress thread where people state what THEY would like to see rather than what actually is permitted/recommended by the cruise line?

• Like 2

No, I can't say that I've ever seen a written rule that shorts are verboten in Terrace in the evening.  Still, I've rarely seen anyone wearing shorts in Terrace in the evening on any of the ships.  Not that I was really checking!

We don't usually travel in hot climates ... never say never, so I won't.  But I can see where if you are in the Med in the summer time or the Caribbean -- warmer climates anyway -- that one might be more tempted to wear shorts at dinner time.  I always wear slacks or a long skirt, DH wears long pants in any of the restaurants for dinner always.  Not because we have to, but because that's what we prefer.

Still, even if wearing shorts one should dress relatively nicely!  Yes, it's a bit more "formal" in the official restaurants.  But Terrace isn't all that casual either.  Think "comfortable", perhaps.

Mura

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mura said:

No, I can't say that I've ever seen a written rule that shorts are verboten in Terrace in the evening.  Still, I've rarely seen anyone wearing shorts in Terrace in the evening on any of the ships.  Not that I was really checking!

We don't usually travel in hot climates ... never say never, so I won't.  But I can see where if you are in the Med in the summer time or the Caribbean -- warmer climates anyway -- that one might be more tempted to wear shorts at dinner time.  I always wear slacks or a long skirt, DH wears long pants in any of the restaurants for dinner always.  Not because we have to, but because that's what we prefer.

Still, even if wearing shorts one should dress relatively nicely!  Yes, it's a bit more "formal" in the official restaurants.  But Terrace isn't all that casual either.  Think "comfortable", perhaps.

Mura

We recently returned from a Western Caribbean cruise on Riviera. Over half the folks in the Terrace wore shorts and tee shirts in the evening, same as they dress for breakfast or lunch. Obviously on a cold weather cruise one would probably not wear shorts, but there is little hesitation to dress very casually in the Terrace by large numbers of folks. Indeed that is one reason folks choose to go the Terrace in the evenings...they don't have to dress any different than they do in the daytime.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, edgee said:

" ... Or is this another dining dress thread where people state what THEY would like to see rather than what actually is permitted/recommended by the cruise line?"

Yes ... exactly!

Or is this just another dress code thread Period?

Paulchilli directed the OP to multiple current threads on the exact subject. The OP can spend hours reading on the subject from those easily searched prior threads. No further comment is necessary. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 1:40 AM, cflutist said:

I read no tuxes nor evening gowns, but what exactly is O's dress code for MDR dinner?

Silversea normally has formal nights, but it was causual on our Expedition cruise to Antarctica. 

Obviously, nice sweaters might be in fashion off ship. On the Riviera the 2 times we were in the Caribbean, most pax(guys here) generally wore a nice shirt nice slacks & shoes. About 25% wore a sport coat(GDR)over 50% wear the sport coat in the specialties, especially Jacques or the Le Reserve. Very few ties are ever seen except in specialties. Jeans are generally frowned upon in the rest. at night. In other words the "Country Club Casual" dress code pretty much speaks for itself. The "nice shirt" is generally a "Ralph Lauren" style dress(long or short sleeve)or a Tommy Bahama type tropic shirt. Pax seem to dress nice, but not over the top. There's also very few schlubs who like to see "what they can get away with" that you see on a lot of other lines.

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 10:26 PM, Mura said:

Mura

I have to say that on both our Caribbean trips we saw very few shorts in the Terrace Grill. Very few sport coats as well. Generally slacks & short(or long sleeve shirts) The few shorts we saw were basically nice Bermuda type shorts. On our recent Jan. trip on Riviera, by the time we went through Terrace, it was getting near the end of dinner, but even around the ship, shorts weren't too common at night. Mura is quite correct in the "comfortable" style of dress. No guys, that does NOT mean walking around the ship in your skivvies!(this is humor, here!)

Edited by keithm
spelling

On 4/7/2019 at 8:26 PM, keithm said:

I have to say that on both our Caribbean trips we saw very few shorts in the Terrace Grill. Very few sport coats as well. Generally slacks & short(or long sleeve shirts) The few shorts we saw were basically nice Bermuda type shorts. On our recent Jan. trip on Riviera, by the time we went through Terrace, it was getting near the end of dinner, but even around the ship, shorts weren't too common at night. Mura is quite correct in the "comfortable" style of dress. No guys, that does NOT mean walking around the ship in your skivvies!(this is humor, here!)

keithm - You always turn up where I would least expect to find you... You are too funny... How are you?  We have been busy... Just got back from the 10 Day Reflection to the S. Caribbean and going on Oceania Sirena this summer Lisbon to Rome (our favorite)... We will spend some extra time in both cities.  We also booked the Christmas cruise on Reflection and Jerry found the Ireland/Iceland cruise in July of 2020 on Reflection... I promise we won't run around on Sirena in the buffet in our skivvies...😁🍸 Take care and be well... Talk to you soon... Neil

1 hour ago, neilrr said:

keithm - You always turn up where I would least expect to find you... You are too funny... How are you?  We have been busy... Just got back from the 10 Day Reflection to the S. Caribbean and going on Oceania Sirena this summer Lisbon to Rome (our favorite)... We will spend some extra time in both cities.  We also booked the Christmas cruise on Reflection and Jerry found the Ireland/Iceland cruise in July of 2020 on Reflection... I promise we won't run around on Sirena in the buffet in our skivvies...😁🍸 Take care and be well... Talk to you soon... Neil

Hi, Neil! Hey, your e-mail "bounced" back to me as undeliverable! We booked a 14 day trip next Jan. on Silhouette. It's kind of our make or break on Celebrity for us. I would have liked to have done the late Feb. trip on Riviera(Feb.2020)but the itinerary is a Wed.-Wed. trip  & I hate going right back to work! Try e-mailing me at my address. If you lost it, just let me know on this thread & I'll resend it. Great to hear you guys are doing fine. Take care.

16 hours ago, keithm said:

Hi, Neil! Hey, your e-mail "bounced" back to me as undeliverable! We booked a 14 day trip next Jan. on Silhouette. It's kind of our make or break on Celebrity for us. I would have liked to have done the late Feb. trip on Riviera(Feb.2020)but the itinerary is a Wed.-Wed. trip  & I hate going right back to work! Try e-mailing me at my address. If you lost it, just let me know on this thread & I'll resend it. Great to hear you guys are doing fine. Take care.

I can't understand. I will send you an email... I agree --going back to work in the middle of the week stinks.. 

• 2 months later...
On 3/28/2019 at 7:26 PM, Mura said:

Mura

I think you may be making the point that there are shorts and then there are shorts.  I have cuffed shorts that hit the top of my knees...and then there are shorts 🙂