Allure - Our room was raided and tossed!

On February 3rd, 2109, while doing a back to back on Allure.  It was turn around day in Miami.  There was a knock on our stateroom door in the early morning. I was in the shower and my partner was not dressed. Whoever it was, was covering the peep hole so we couldn’t see. We opened the door and It was a customs search team. Nine officers dressed in black with bullet proof vests, a ship security guard and a dog. We were allowed to put on robes and we waited barefoot, under guard in the hallway (on display to the other passengers walking by) while 4 of the officers and the dog ripped our room apart. We each got called in a couple of times to answer questions because they said the dog got a hit in the room.  All I had was prescriptions so there was nothing of course.  I wondered if they say that to everyone to try to get them to crack.   Eventually they left leaving us a mess. All of our neighbours think we’re druglords!

At the back to backers meeting area we soon found out that half of them were raided as well.  

After 28 cruises this was something new!  Our room attendant told us it happens just about every week.  Just so you know they showed us no paperwork what so ever.  We are from Canada so I do not know the legalities.  It just seemed wrong to me to be raided, accused of hiding something in the room and our dignity taking a hit without direct cause or any paperwork.  I will add that they were all respectful to us, even when they accused me of having "something" hidden in the room somewhere. 

At least I have a great story to tell now! Although it was quite disturbing to us on the day it happened.

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

Well, at least you had a room steward to clean up their mess. :classic_biggrin:  And a story to tell.

As to the legalities, I understand it is their ship, they get to do what they want, no paperwork required.

We cleaned up the mess as it was our stuff removed from suitcases and bags.  We were all packed as we were changing rooms that day. 

• Like 1

This type of search can occur in any port during the cruise.

If I remember the explanation given by a poster on another forum (works for that cruise line in security), if there have been suspicions raised during the cruise of illegal drug use or contraband during any part of the cruise, the ship will notify the port authorities who will do the search and any arrests necessary.

Smoking of marijuana is a big flag on ships.

You say  half the group of back to back cruisers were also raided,. Was this a group traveling together?  Did you hang out with them on the cruise?

Something did trigger this activity.

Edited by Homosassa
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

This type of search can occur in any port during the cruise.

If I remember the explanation given by a poster on another forum (works for that cruise line in security), if there have been suspicions raised during the cruise of illegal drug use or contraband during any part of the cruise, the ship will notify the port authorities who will do the search and any arrests necessary.

Smoking of marijuana is a big flag on ships.

You say  half the group of back to back cruisers were also raided,. Was this a group traveling together?  Did you hang out with them on the cruise?

Something did trigger this activity.

We were travelling with another couple and they did not get raided.  No we did not know the other people. 

• Like 2

Gee, and people think they will get their adrenaline rushes from all the slides and ziplines and things!

Did they actually accuse you of hiding something, or did they say they wanted to ask further questions--i.e., suspect there might be something hidden because the dog alerted?  Actually, a better question is if you noticed the dog alerting?

The reason I asked is that dogs sometimes alert because they detect traces of something that could have come from anywhere, including your luggage that might have rubbed residue in a cab trunk. Or, there may have been contraband in the room before you were there. The agents are aware that dozens of people have occupied each cabin recently.

If they were accusing you, I would have expected a vigorous re-search of the specific spaces where the dog alerted. And I would think that would have involved more detention and an even more thorough tossing! Glad nothing further happened to you both.

Never ending excitement in cruising!

Edited by mayleeman

As I understand it, CBP does not need any type of paperwork to search at the border. I believe that they may do random searches from time to time so the dog may or may not have alerted on anything. This is one of the reasons DW is leaving her CBD oil at home. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

Gee, and people think they will get their adrenaline rushes from all the slides and ziplines and things!

Did they actually accuse you of hiding something, or did they say they wanted to ask further questions--i.e., suspect there might be something hidden because the dog alerted?  Actually, a better question is if you noticed the dog alerting?

The reason I asked is that dogs sometimes alert because they detect traces of something that could have come from anywhere, including your luggage that might have rubbed residue in a cab trunk. Or, there may have been contraband in the room before you were there. The agents are aware that dozens of people have occupied each cabin recently.

If they were accusing you, I would have expected a vigorous re-search of the specific spaces where the dog alerted. And I would think that would have involved more detention and an even more thorough tossing! Glad nothing further happened to you both.

Never ending excitement in cruising!

If my memory serves me I believe his exact words were... the dog got a hit in your room, what and where is it?  My response was what does the dog hit on? because I have nothing but my prescriptions.  And I pointed out the bag they were in.   I remember thinking that if the dog actually  sniffed something out they would know what and where.  I think they were using some sort of tactics.   I have nothing to hide so I was cool as a cucumber.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

As I understand it, CBP does not need any type of paperwork to search at the border. I believe that they may do random searches from time to time so the dog may or may not have alerted on anything. This is one of the reasons DW is leaving her CBD oil at home. 

I was in my room on the ship.  I didn’t have to go to the border and do customs until later in the day. 

8 minutes ago, Trickie Dickie said:

I was in my room on the ship.  I didn’t have to go to the border and do customs until later in the day. 

For the intent of the law you only need be within 100 miles of the border. Being on a ship in harbor counts as being at the border also.

1 minute ago, sparks1093 said:

For the intent of the law you only need be within 100 miles of the border. Being on a ship in harbor counts as being at the border also.

As a law-abiding citizens and world traveler , I just didn’t feel the freedom.   It actually feels like a civil rights violation even though law permits it.  I was humiliated in front of my neighbours on the ship.  I understand at the border you have to present yourself up to scrutiny, but this was a raid in my room that I paid for.   They knew who we were and where we were from.   We are both trusted travelers.  I also have many security clearances because of my former career.  We have no criminal records.   This information all comes up with a passport check.  There was absolutely no reason to do this to us.   They said it was random.   It wasn’t as they targeted half the back to back Cruisers.  That is calculated in my opinion.   It was a helpless feeling to be honest.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

They are looking for drug smugglers.

Not the casual pot smoker.

Who knows why they singled you out...

Wrong.

We were on a cruise where it was obvious the young men in a cabin down the hall were "casual" pot smokers.

They ended up under cabin confinement with a security officer standing guard round the clock outside their door.

They were removed at the next port and turned over to authorities.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Homosassa said:

Wrong.

We were on a cruise where it was obvious the young men in a cabin down the hall were "casual" pot smokers.

They ended up under cabin confinement with a security officer standing guard round the clock outside their door.

They were removed at the next port and turned over to authorities.

That is an entirely

different circumstance 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Since I have NEVER heard of this happening to anyone else, ever, and I have been on a $hitload of cruises, I can hardly believe your cabin steward, "This happens every week."

Or maybe it only happens on the Allure.  I haven't been on the Allure in a few years.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Trickie Dickie said:

Apparently we were not singled out as half the back to back cruisers were raided as well. 

Simple answer is that likely one of the back to backers was thought to have drugs, usually somone tips off the authorities, they don't just bring the dog on, so they decided to sample more than one cabin. They are already there and who else can they check? Convienient for the CBP.

Edited by Charles4515

9 minutes ago, Trickie Dickie said:

As a law-abiding citizens and world traveler , I just didn’t feel the freedom.   It actually feels like a civil rights violation even though law permits it.  I was humiliated in front of my neighbours on the ship.  I understand at the border you have to present yourself up to scrutiny, but this was a raid in my room that I paid for.   They knew who we were and where we were from.   We are both trusted travelers.  I also have many security clearances because of my former career.  We have no criminal records.   This information all comes up with a passport check.  There was absolutely no reason to do this to us.   They said it was random.   It wasn’t as they targeted half the back to back Cruisers.  That is calculated in my opinion.   It was a helpless feeling to be honest.  

A random check is a random check and they conduct them routinely both on ships and at the land border. My son has been searched coming back into the US from Canada. We just applied for trusted traveler status for DW and the literature makes it clear that the status does not preclude searches or other security measures including random ones. If you did nothing wrong than you have no reason at all to feel humiliated.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Merion_Mom said:

Since I have NEVER heard of this happening to anyone else, ever, and I have been on a $hitload of cruises, I can hardly believe your cabin steward, "This happens every week."

Or maybe it only happens on the Allure.  I haven't been on the Allure in a few years.

Our state room attendant was a wonderful woman with a long career with Royal Caribbean.   Her service was impeccable.   She even popped over to visit us in our new room the following week and made sure we were okay.   I fail to see any reason why she would lie to us about that.   What would be the point? 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

A random check is a random check and they conduct them routinely both on ships and at the land border. My son has been searched coming back into the US from Canada. We just applied for trusted traveler status for DW and the literature makes it clear that the status does not preclude searches or other security measures including random ones. If you did nothing wrong than you have no reason at all to feel humiliated.

The humiliation was being under guard in the hallway wearing nothing but a bathrobe and bare feet. 

How can you call it random when half the back to back cruisers were raided?   Clearly they targeted the back to back cruisers. It could have been random that we were in the chosen half.

Edited by Trickie Dickie
  • Like 4