Oasis incident at Freeport Shipyard

19 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

For what is mostly cosmetic damage, two weeks should be fine in shipyard.

Do you think there is a possibility that they did some damage to the azipod structure if the ship was resting on the azipod?  Is there a possibility that they may have damaged the azipod support or the bearings on the azipods that turn?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ptf2009 said:

Now that makes a lot of sense! People like us who are just waiting and hoping should get the same benefit, especially because RC won't free those with reservations with penalties.

Exactly - since you're in a holding pattern and prices will only go up/options get more limited, I would fully expect you'd get the same benefit!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, xpcdoojk said:

Driving in Europe is pretty easy too.  I think land travel in Europe is generally better than a cruise, just because the things you want to see are often a long bus ride from where the ship stops.  Good for you whatever you decide.

jc

Yes, driving in Europe may be pretty easy...but ssshh,  please don't tell my DH that my nerves just couldn't take his driving 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Driving in Europe is pretty easy too.  I think land travel in Europe is generally better than a cruise, just because the things you want to see are often a long bus ride from where the ship stops.  Good for you whatever you decide.

jc

There are also so many low cost carriers. Flying city to city might also be an option. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

The most stressful thing about driving in Europe is 1 parking, 2 toll booths that are not manned and may or may not take your credit card, and 3 speed cameras.

jc

um...and #3... being in the passenger seat with my DH driving:):):) But really he is the most wonderful husband you could ever have!!!!

Edited by ptf2009
added info
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Do you think there is a possibility that they did some damage to the azipod structure if the ship was resting on the azipod?  Is there a possibility that they may have damaged the azipod support or the bearings on the azipods that turn?

We will likely never know.  There is a lot of structural integrity in that area of the ship because of the forces involved when azipods are operated, both at cruise speed but also maneuvering in port.  There are hundreds of things to speculate about and this is one of them.  

I'm curious if they may seek approval for a quick sea trial in the near term before departing for Spain.  

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, mousefan73 said:

What I will do now As a back up plan is go to booking.com and simply book hotel nights with a cancellation policy for Italy. I already have two nights in Rome booked pre-cruise but maybe I’ll check out Sorrento or that area And see what hotels I can book now that are refundable. At least I grab space for worst case it will doing a land trip

I have toured about Italy quite a lot so feel free to ask any questions.  The north of Italy is lovely the lakes  (there is a great water park and theme park called Garda land for kids) also easy nice boat trips to lovely little  towns on the lake some of which have gondalas up the mountain where the kids can see the Marmots usually up close.  Verona (nice for kids if the know the story of Romeo and Juliet  and the Veince (everyones favourite regardless of age of kids)  would make a great trip. 

Or with children you could do  Rome then Florence/ Tuscany/ lucca and or the Coast if the kids like a beach. Here is  an/amazing very reasonablly priced  airb&b we rented outside Florence which was great base for Tuscany and Lucca/Pisa  . It also had a large above ground pool with a great view which was a real must for us in the heat of july.   https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6868071?location=Florence%2C Metropolitan City of Florence%2C Italy&guests=1&adults=1&s=ydVrLvF0

Going south to the Amalfi coast is also lovely but I find it very busy and the roads are 😱. Need to make sure children don't get travel sick as there is no where to pull of and stop in the worst case lol. By the way don't do what I did and say put your head in the bag without further instruction to a 4 yr old- I will leave the image to your imagination

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, kruzerci said:

You have absolutely nothing to base a month long drydock on.... 

While there have been crazy theories running around like wildfire I've actually heard a few times from folks in the forums and that one guy (who seemed to know what he was talking about but of course who really knows) on Youtube that someone posted his video before but I can't for the life of me remember his name who think it most likely will need longer than a week or two and more along the line of a month for repairs once it gets to Cadiz. So it's being talked about and none of us really know the extent of the damage so it might not be totally and completely off base

I even heard some folks talking about how it makes less sense to fix it up quickly to essentially hobble through the rest of the sailings this summer before it goes into dry dock in September and that they should just do all the repairs and add-ons from September's dry dock at once now and just bring it back once everything is fully done for Fall sailings instead. While that particular theory is like "WHAT?! Are you crazy?" bc hello dock schedules in Cadiz! logistics! etc! ...it also doesn't seem like a terrible idea to sort of kill two birds with one stone

18 minutes ago, CarnivalCruiser32 said:

I even heard some folks talking about how it makes less sense to fix it up quickly to essentially hobble through the rest of the sailings this summer before it goes into dry dock in September and that they should just do all the repairs and add-ons from September's dry dock at once now and just bring it back once everything is fully done for Fall sailings instead. While that particular theory is like "WHAT?! Are you crazy?" bc hello dock schedules in Cadiz! logistics! etc! ...it also doesn't seem like a terrible idea to sort of kill two birds with one stone

I absolutely cannot imagine a scenario where they move up September's dry dock. There is simply no way they have all the supplies on hand already in Cadiz. Even if they did, great, they cancel 2 months worth of summer cruises then have a ship ready for fall cruises that have no bookings. That makes no sense at all. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, DerekB said:

I absolutely cannot imagine a scenario where they move up September's dry dock. There is simply no way they have all the supplies on hand already in Cadiz. Even if they did, great, they cancel 2 months worth of summer cruises then have a ship ready for fall cruises that have no bookings. That makes no sense at all. 

Agreed!

31 minutes ago, DerekB said:

Even if they did, great, they cancel 2 months worth of summer cruises then have a ship ready for fall cruises that have no bookings. 

Europeans don't mind booking late, even inside final payment.

1 hour ago, mousefan73 said:

There are also so many low cost carriers. Flying city to city might also be an option. 

Yes, as long as you don’t take a lot of luggage.  A lot of the low cost European carriers kill you on luggage.  If you can travel light, I agree.  Many cities have good train/subway systems too, if you don’t like that kind of travel taxis can get pricey in large cities.  I will say sometimes we will park at the train station on the outskirts of a city and then do local trains while we explore the city.

jc

There is no way to guess the length of time to repair the Oasis since you have no idea to what needs to be fixed.

it could be as simple as fixing up the cosmetic crane damage and doing the original Azopod repairs or they could replace them completely.  

Shipyards can do amazing work in 2 weeks.  Now if there was some serious below the waterline or Azipod support damage that is another story.  

2 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Yes, as long as you don’t take a lot of luggage.  A lot of the low cost European carriers kill you on luggage.  If you can travel light, I agree.  Many cities have good train/subway systems too, if you don’t like that kind of travel taxis can get pricey in large cities.  I will say sometimes we will park at the train station on the outskirts of a city and then do local trains while we explore the city.

jc

How true we are off to venice in a few weeks and our case costs much more than our seats.  Same for our flights to for our summer cruise. One day I am going to book an extra seat and just turn my luggage into a large life size puppet lol

22 minutes ago, scottish67 said:

https://www.caribbeannewsnow.com/2019/04/05/oasis-of-the-seas-to-remain-dry-docked-in-grand-bahama-after-accident/

Well this is new, not sure if it's good or bad? I sent it to RC via direct message on twitter and they still said no changes to the May sailing. 

But wait...she was moved out of dry dock yesterday. Maybe just meant stay in Bahamas. 

26 minutes ago, scottish67 said:

https://www.caribbeannewsnow.com/2019/04/05/oasis-of-the-seas-to-remain-dry-docked-in-grand-bahama-after-accident/

Well this is new, not sure if it's good or bad? I sent it to RC via direct message on twitter and they still said no changes to the May sailing. 

This article is pretty poorly written. It's vague as hell and seems to be late to the game. I would take it with a grain of salt, a big grain of salt. 

• Like 1

Well this is promising (see picture). I messaged RC on twitter and they have confirmed they know the extent of the damage and that Oasis is being moved to Cardiz as that’s the only facility with availability to handle her size. 

C4B26239-14E4-46C7-8CF6-38CCDD7C6927.jpeg

10 minutes ago, scottish67 said:

Well this is promising (see picture). I messaged RC on twitter and they have confirmed they know the extent of the damage and that Oasis is being moved to Cardiz as that’s the only facility with availability to handle her size. 

They know less than we do on here I think. It's still tied to the pier in Freeport. 

Edited by fsjosh
removed oversized pic.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

None of us know the the damage is to what we can't see. It could be that the issue is that they just need to replace the bearings on the Azipod that is damaged still and nothing more. 

Or one or more Azipods might be pretty broken due to damage, not sure they like blunt trauma from hitting cofferdams lets be honest but still to early to tell. If the ship can move and start to make the voyage over too Cadiz on its own power and at reasonable speed, things for me are looking bright. 

Yes they need to remove the crane, fix the seating and screens and maybe make further fixes to the Aqua Theatre but they refit ships within weeks so lets take a breath on what they can engineer within a month from today. 

As for refunds, I see absolutely no reason that any further refunds due to this issues aren't on the same terms as they have done already. If they don't they could have a PR disaster on there hands that they are suddenly showing favouritism to there US vs European cruise customers and that would go down like a lead balloon. 

In short it's out of the wet dock already which was pretty quick, they are likely removing the crane from the deck as we chat and are commissioning replacement / fix parts from plans to be fitted in Cadiz for whatever is damage. 🙏 👍