Strange Way to Do Business

I was attempting to use a cancelled cruise credit voucher this morning. The credit was for $1100 ($549 per guest) and the cruise I was attempting to book was approx $1224. Thus I assumed I would owe an additional $124. Instead Royal is requiring a $500 deposit and justified this by saying one of the passengers is getting half off and thus her part of the credit can be used on a future cruise. Does this make any since? Has anyone else had this experience?

2 minutes ago, DENBET30 said:

I was attempting to use a cancelled cruise credit voucher this morning. The credit was for $1100 ($549 per guest) and the cruise I was attempting to book was approx $1224. Thus I assumed I would owe an additional $124. Instead Royal is requiring a $500 deposit and justified this by saying one of the passengers is getting half off and thus her part of the credit can be used on a future cruise. Does this make any since? Has anyone else had this experience?

I'd call back and try someone diffferent

18 minutes ago, twangster said:

Cruise credits can not be used to pay taxes and fees of a new booking.  Perhaps that is part of the issue?

Like many things Royal, call back and talk with another agent.  

Correct.

33 minutes ago, twangster said:

Another reason to use a travel agent.  A good one knows how to work the system.  Otherwise it's on you to deal with Royal on the phone which puts you at a disadvantage.  

Not necessarily.  I've booked nearly all of my 40+ cruises directly with the cruise line and have always had any issues or problems quickly and easily resolved by the phone agents.  As others have said sometimes you may need to talk to a different agent or ask to speak to a supervisor if you're not happy with the results.  Really not that difficult.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, DENBET30 said:

Sounds like you are pricing the new cruise with a BOGO50 fare.

Before taxes, what is the cruise fare being charged for passenger 1 .. and what is the cruise fare for passenger 2?

This happened to my friend.  She wasn't able to use her voucher for the deposit.  Took her two cruises to use it.  They don't work like you would expect.  She also  booked one cruise, then decided to take another before that one, and they told her she had to take the first cruise before she could use the rest of the credit.  I thought it was crazy, but she wouldn't call and argue about it.  Luckily she likes to cruise and was able to use it all eventually.

When it suits them, cruise lines apparently think of fares as technically allocated per person but quote the prices to us as averaged per person or as a total for the stateroom. But for bringing anything on board, they can only think of it as per stateroom, refusing to acknowledge that there can be 1 to 4 adults who are individuals.

21 minutes ago, A2Mich said:

According to my TA, a cruise credit also cannot be used as part of a deposit and can only be applied at final payment.

If you pay in full when you book though can it be used towards all the cost (not taxes, etc) or will the deposit portion always need to be paid by another means?

• Like 1

Just now, ShillyShally said:

If you pay in full when you book though can it be used towards all the cost (not taxes, etc) or will the deposit portion always need to be paid by another means?

The deposit portion has to be a new charge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShillyShally said:

We have a $600 cruise credit that we had wanted to apply towards deposit, but we were told that it would be applied towards final payment only.  Guess RCI wants to avoid people using credits to book and cancel cruises.  Probably want to make sure they have your cash commitment up front.

1 hour ago, OneWord said:

Correct 

So here is a question about this that you may or may not know.  We were issued a future cruise credit last May, when we had to cancel a cruise.  We booked our next cruise this past January (2019).  Our cruise is for May 2020.  My understanding is that cruise credits had to be used within one year, or is it two?  If it’s one year, do they base the one year time frame on booking date, sailing date,,or when you would need to make final payment by (in order to remain within the one year time, regardless of when the cruise final payment date actually is)?

If you knew someone that is onboard a ship now they could book the cruise for you and only have to pay $100 each for the deposit and you would get OBC....and then you could apply your FC credit. I think you are allowed to book up to 4-5 cabins for friends and family while onboard.

16 minutes ago, robandana said:

If you knew someone that is onboard a ship now they could book the cruise for you and only have to pay $100 each for the deposit and you would get OBC....and then you could apply your FC credit. I think you are allowed to book up to 4-5 cabins for friends and family while onboard.

If someone can create a booking for you at Next, you should be able to apply an FCC towards that booking at a later time (next day, week later, etc).

In your case you would likely have some more taxes and fees due which would be a portion of your balance due at final payment due date.  The FCC can't be used to pay those taxes and fees, those have to be paid normally.  

Let's say the new cruise fare is $2,000.  Taxes and fees are $234 for a total cruise cost of $2,234.  A $100 deposit is paid now.  Your balance due is $2,134.  

Along comes a $3,000 FCC.  You can apply that towards this "existing" booking but not towards the taxes and fees.  OBC or KSF or other promos are not impacted by applying FCC, they remain what they were at booking.  

$2,000 of the FCC is used leaving your new balance due at $134.00 (the remaining taxes and fees portion).  That $134 must be paid by final payment due date using a credit card or however you would normally pay for your cruise.

Since your FCC was $3,000 and you have used $2,000 of it in this example, you still have $1,000 FCC that can be applied to a different booking that isn't paid in full or past final payment due date.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, A2Mich said:

We have a $600 cruise credit that we had wanted to apply towards deposit, but we were told that it would be applied towards final payment only.  Guess RCI wants to avoid people using credits to book and cancel cruises.  Probably want to make sure they have your cash commitment up front.

Yeah I can see that, I'm just surprised instead they don't allow the FCC to be applied fully and could make part of it forfeit-able if you cancelled?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, A2Mich said:

Well that sucks.  Guess I’m losing my credit....

Yeah I just realized we have Southwest funds there are no way we can use before they expire - I was hopeful we just had to book before they expired but no travel has to be completed.  My life isn't as flexible as it was a year ago - my built in dog sitter (daughter) moved north 🙂

3 hours ago, ShillyShally said:

Yeah I just realized we have Southwest funds there are no way we can use before they expire - I was hopeful we just had to book before they expired but no travel has to be completed.  My life isn't as flexible as it was a year ago - my built in dog sitter (daughter) moved north 🙂

I sent an email to my TA to ask her, either way. I was also told previously that we had to book within one year of the credit and sail within two.

Edited by A2Mich