AED (Defibrillator) on ships?

Iamthesea

Thanks!  It's funny how one never notices things when they don't think they need them. 😉

DH and I will be on the Constellation next month.  He had open heart in January.  We have been cleared to travel, but feel better knowing if the AED's are situated around the ship.  I will make note of them as we tour around the day of embarkation.

Thank you.  I feel sure there is one in medical.  

So if DH passes out from sudden cardiac death, I will drag him down to Guest Relations and wait in line with all the passengers until it's our turn to be seen. 🤨 Seems like s strange place to have an AED (behind the desk), but perhaps they are also elsewhere around the ship.  Glad there is one outside of the Ocean View Cafe.  I would think that there would be one around the pool area, as well.  

• Like 1

On 4/7/2019 at 11:43 AM, Iamthesea said:

Thanks!  It's funny how one never notices things when they don't think they need them. 😉

DH and I will be on the Constellation next month.  He had open heart in January.  We have been cleared to travel, but feel better knowing if the AED's are situated around the ship.  I will make note of them as we tour around the day of embarkation.

Hope you have a great uneventful cruise.  Funny, I have never noticed these either.

1 hour ago, Iamthesea said:

So if DH passes out from sudden cardiac death, I will drag him down to Guest Relations and wait in line with all the passengers until it's our turn to be seen. 🤨

I’m so sorry to hear that your DH had to have heart surgery, but happy that he’s recovered well. In case of emergency, I’d have no compunction about rushing to the front of the line, calling out for the AED. I’m certain the passengers in line would understand. I very much hope you have a lovely, uneventful cruise😊

1 hour ago, Iamthesea said:

Thank you.  I feel sure there is one in medical.  

So if DH passes out from sudden cardiac death, I will drag him down to Guest Relations and wait in line with all the passengers until it's our turn to be seen. 🤨 Seems like s strange place to have an AED (behind the desk), but perhaps they are also elsewhere around the ship.  Glad there is one outside of the Ocean View Cafe.  I would think that there would be one around the pool area, as well.  

You pick up a phone and call, they will be immediately giving a code and personnel will respond probably with an AED.  I have cardiac history but am lucky that both wife and son are EMTs and trained in use of AEDs. Point is there may also be people on board who are trained.

Rest assured if darling hubby needs an AED, any staff member -- even the busboys or pool attendants -- know where the closest one is and how to use it. And with their radios, they'll have a medical response to you before you realize. 

47 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

I’m so sorry to hear that your DH had to have heart surgery, but happy that he’s recovered well. In case of emergency, I’d have no compunction about rushing to the front of the line, calling out for the AED. I’m certain the passengers in line would understand. I very much hope you have a lovely, uneventful cruise😊

40 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

You pick up a phone and call, they will be immediately giving a code and personnel will respond probably with an AED.  I have cardiac history but am lucky that both wife and son are EMTs and trained in use of AEDs. Point is there may also be people on board who are trained.

36 minutes ago, GoodScout said:

Rest assured if darling hubby needs an AED, any staff member -- even the busboys or pool attendants -- know where the closest one is and how to use it. And with their radios, they'll have a medical response to you before you realize. 

I was being facetious!  DH and I have decided that the best way to get through this time in his life is to approach with a good sense of humor.

But seriously, I feel better knowing where the AED's are located.  I have read stories on this very board about  medical personnel lacking, or crew members standing around not sure what to do, etc.   The calls will be made, but if there is anyone around that knows how to use the AED, should my husband need attention, I want to know where the closest machine is located!  

38 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

I was being facetious!  DH and I have decided that the best way to get through this time in his life is to approach with a good sense of humor.

But seriously, I feel better knowing where the AED's are located.  I have read stories on this very board about  medical personnel lacking, or crew members standing around not sure what to do, etc.   The calls will be made, but if there is anyone around that knows how to use the AED, should my husband need attention, I want to know where the closest machine is located!  

You and your husband have a good outlook on life.  As my Dr. Said the other day when I ask about a cruise, "sure, you can't stop living".

FWIW, I had the good fortune of having paddles used on me about six weeks ago. At least that's what I'm told. Fortunately  I was in the hospital, and there were about six people around and on top of me when I came to.

I would feel good about the use of an AED on a cruise ship. 

On Reflection in November I was walking from the pool to the Ocean view cafe on a sea day, however there were a lot of officers in the lobby area and one side was completely closed off.  The AED has been removed and was presumably in use.  It was reassuring that there appeared to be a significant and calm response. It was impossible for the casual passerby to observe what was occurring.

I also witnessed a lady slip in the Ocean view cafe and the staff's response was incredible.  I wasn't far behind but before I could get to her to offer assistance there were a number of crew managing the situation.

16 hours ago, little miss chatterbox said:

I’ve just got back from Connie and there was one behind the desk at guest relations and one at the ocean view cafe. 

Cant recall anymore but I would think there would be one at the medical area too. 

They keep one at Guest Services because that's where many people see the balance on their Sea Pass accounts.

• Haha 5

If you have a medical emergency the response is quick. They will call Star Code and medical crew will actually RUN to the location. I have seen them in action on a formal night so it was easy to see who was who with their stripes

46 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

They keep one at Guest Services because that's where many people see the balance on their Sea Pass accounts.

Ah...I now understand the reason! 😄

Thank you to all!

Edited by Iamthesea

Au Contraire.  You won't know if there is an arrhythmia or asystole until you've placed the AED pads on the victim. When the medical team arrives with their defibrillator and cardiac drugs, they will have an event record display that can speed their treatment. 

• 3 weeks later...

We noticed on Summit that they have them in placed in the cabin corridors. I would check wth the cruiseline to determine where they have them placed as it seems this is an expanded item for them, it is not a published life safety item as far as I can tell from our recent Summit cruise in any notificatio document. But in any public environment it is not usually stated where they are. 

If there is a genuine need/concern:

I am not sure if/where they fall under the Good Samaritan 'rules' as they seem to in the US so I'd be very curious to have it on the table what the cruiseline follows for guidelines for distances to equipment so that no one assumes anything about the AED's based on this thread which is anecdotal in nature, IMO for responses about locations, response times by staff, etc. 

Edited by MizDemeanor

On 4/10/2019 at 4:08 PM, GoodScout said:

It’s also worth mentioning that an AED is only appropriate to use when your heart is in arrhythmia. If it’s stopped entirely, an AED is of no use and won’t do anything. 

But I have seen loads of movies where this worked flawlessly by non medically trained everyday people 😁

2 hours ago, Christih50 said:

Yes untrained people can use them. The AED tells you  if a shock is advised otherwise you continue CPR until advanced medical people arrive to give drugs.

In general it’s always good advice not to panic and to follow the directions.