Summit review

aamechs2

Just a quick opinion on the Summit, March 30 - Apr 6.  We are new to Celebrity but this was our 30th cruise. We always book based on itinerary. 

The ship is gorgeous. We loved the colors. Our inside cabin was great, lots of storage plus a nice counter top area. The desk type chair and other chair were both appreciated. We enjoyed all the nook and cranny seating areas around the ship plus the usual seating was usually comfy. Our favorite place was the seating aft of the buffet. Our room steward Airlines was fantastic!  He provided a memory foam pillow for hubby who thought the reg pillows were too fluffy plus a coverlet instead of the comforter. 

Loved the deck 4 outside promenade area. The coffee bar was good and customer service helpful. Though our room key did not work when we first got on and the line was sooo long. 

The food, mmm definitely just our opinion but it was pretty meh. The buffet had a good selection of Indian food, pasta and salad but definitely lacking in choice.  Didn’t love having to wander almost the whole buffet area to see what they were having but it does cut down some on crowding. Eggs unless made to order were horrible and the line for omelets was usually long. The bakery made lots of fabulous bread but the dining room only had baguette and 1 other type besides those nasty hard breadsticks. Chocolate croissants were FABULOUS in the buffet. Desserts not so much.

We ate in the dining room 6 nights and I had the NY strip steak 3 of those nights. They did have lobster on the 2nd formal night but it was small and all of my food that night was barely warm or not at all warm. Our waiters were ok but rarely asked us if we wanted drinks (non alcohol as we are not drinkers but love iced tea)  Desserts here weren’t very good either. 

Definitely an older crowd, older than our Dec HAL cruise!  Muster drill was AWFUL!  Our station was B2, in the lounge for maybe suite guests?  No seating, barely any air conditioning and after the long lifeboat part, they did announcements! Worst muster drill in years!

The itinerary was fabulous. Loved every single island with Barbados and Grenada being our favorites. 

We were invited to the helipad for sail away, that was cool!  The officers and crew were very friendly and visible. The CD did a good job. The shows were not good except the illusionist. He was great. All the bands we heard were great, Long play party band was fabulous but I felt bad as they got some lukewarm clapping sometimes. 

We had a good time, didn’t gain weight but I was surprised to not be a little more impressed by food and entertainment. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for your review.  We sail on the Summit in June.  I am encouraged to hear all the bands were good especially the party band Long play.  We tend to spend more time in the lounges listening to the live music versus attending the shows.  Do you think you will book another Celebrity cruise?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aamechs2 said:

those nasty hard breadsticks. 

And some of us say,  "Those wonderful, delightfully crunchy breadsticks".  😋

• Like 9

Thanks for the review! Great to hear your positive impressions of your inside cabin, as my family and I are booked in a pair of them. Also good to hear that the live bands were good. Not sailing for almost a year and a half yet, but I imagine by then things will be just as good if not better as kinks post-revolution get all worked out.

Did they have a small "coffee" table in your cabin? I believe that I read they removed ALL such tables in every cabin category during the Millennium Edgification (I know you were onboard Summit but it was also Edgified).

Thanks.

14 hours ago, aamechs2 said:

Definitely an older crowd, older than our Dec HAL cruise!  

The new demographic sure sounds excited about these new builds and refits.  According to the advertisement, there shouldn't be anyone left over the age of 35.

• Haha 1

Thank you for your review. We have been on the Summit 5 times. Last time was October of last year. We are back on October of this year in Concierge. Yesterday just booked the 15 night Trancanal for November 2020 in and inside on the Summit. We have never sailed in an inside but this is a dream cruise for my husband as he is retiring and that is all the budget allows. I appreciate the positive comments on the room. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, aamechs2 said:

The food, mmm definitely just our opinion but it was pretty meh. The buffet had a good selection of Indian food, pasta and salad but definitely lacking in choice.  Didn’t love having to wander almost the whole buffet area to see what they were having but it does cut down some on crowding. Eggs unless made to order were horrible and the line for omelets was usually long. The bakery made lots of fabulous bread but the dining room only had baguette and 1 other type besides those nasty hard breadsticks. Chocolate croissants were FABULOUS in the buffet. Desserts not so much.

LOVE those "nasty hard breadsticks"

• Like 3

We just took the water taxi to Grand Anse, rented 2 chairs and an umbrella and begged. We planned on walking further down the beach but couldn’t see if there were umbrellas to rent. Loved this beach and the water taxi makes it easy. 

Went back about 2:00 and walked to the spice market and grocery store. Bought spice necklaces, spices and vanilla. Make sure you have money with NO little tears in them. They won’t take them. 

Loved Grenada!

we would book Celebrity again if the price and itinerary was good. But I wouldn’t pay any extra to sail on them. We found the ship a little boring. 

4 hours ago, aamechs2 said:

Bought spice necklaces, spices and vanilla.

I highly recommend the vanilla.  16ozs of McCormicks Pure Vanilla goes for $35 now.  10 years ago I paid $5 for 16ozs on Grenada.  So even if the price has doubled, it's still a great deal.

Edited by pd7277
  • Like 1

On 4/8/2019 at 3:11 PM, aamechs2 said:

Muster drill was AWFUL!  Our station was B2, in the lounge for maybe suite guests?  No seating, barely any air conditioning and after the long lifeboat part, they did announcements! Worst muster drill in years!

Can you explain a bit more about what the drill consisted of?  This sort of thing really interests me after being on the 3/14 sailing of the Sky. Having lived through one of the scariest experiences of my life, I have a totally new take on the importance of these drills. 

• Like 2

The drill itself was fine but we were in a small room with lots of people, not nearly enough seating or ac. Then after the necessary portion they captain talked then the cruise director. Of course we got there a little early and lots of people showed up late so it started late. 

I definitely pay attention since in an emergency it would be important to know but there’s no reason to have it in such a small airless room. Plus people around us talked the WHOLE time!  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aamechs2 said:

Plus people around us talked the WHOLE time!  

I know....this happens all the time....I swear if this is the case when I'm on the Summit in the fall I'm going to have to bite my tongue lest I go ballistic on someone! Even if paying close attention, I guarantee that when that general emergency signal goes off, it's a different situation when you know it's not a drill. On the Sky I actually had trouble even remembering where I was supposed to go for muster let alone how to put the life vest on. 

Edited by gretschwhtfalcon
  • Like 1

On 4/10/2019 at 1:53 PM, gretschwhtfalcon said:

Even if paying close attention, I guarantee that when that general emergency signal goes off, it's a different situation when you know it's not a drill. On the Sky I actually had trouble even remembering where I was supposed to go for muster let alone how to put the life vest on. 

Wise words.  Nothing like the voice of experience. 

I'm going on my first cruise on HAL this summer.  I'm thinking about writing the muster station on the back of an Index card and taping it to the back of my door.

On 4/10/2019 at 1:38 PM, aamechs2 said:

Plus people around us talked the WHOLE time!  

I have had this happen on other ships as well. When it does, I think it’s important to give feedback about it on the ship; the ship needs to take the drills seriously and make sure passengers are doing so.  This includes being quiet and paying attention. 

18 minutes ago, SempreMare said:

Wise words.  Nothing like the voice of experience. 

I'm going on my first cruise on HAL this summer.  I'm thinking about writing the muster station on the back of an Index card and taping it to the back of my door.

Usually, your muster station is posted on the back of your cabin door.

On 4/9/2019 at 4:40 AM, Stateroom_Sailor said:

The new demographic sure sounds excited about these new builds and refits.  According to the advertisement, there shouldn't be anyone left over the age of 35.

Old ad, there is no longer the promotion go best go better go big, the new promotion is Sail Your Way

7 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I have had this happen on other ships as well. When it does, I think it’s important to give feedback about it on the ship.

I might wind up doing this in a manner that is otherwise against my nature. Like I said, will have to bite my tongue if people are not giving the drill the seriousness it deserves. 

7 hours ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

I might wind up doing this in a manner that is otherwise against my nature. Like I said, will have to bite my tongue if people are not giving the drill the seriousness it deserves. 

I sailed on a Princess cruise a couple of months after the Costa Concordia disaster and you could have heard a pin drop during the presentation.   A year later on X and we were shoved in a corner in the photo area w/o any ability to see the screen and no one paid attention.

Last year on Silhouette we were in a lounge area that well accommodated everyone with a good view of the screen presentation.  That the presentation itself is incredibly stupid is beyond the point.  I hope I am never in a Sky situation.