Table Tent With Your Names in the MDR?

10 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I love to engage in conversation on cruises .

Many people do but a portion of them don't pick up on the cues that you aren't particularly interested in conversing.  There are overbearing, self-appointed social conveners who once introductions are done believe their mission is to generate a spirited and sparkling dinner conversation focusing largely on them.  There are also opinionated blowhards who want to subject you to their world view on politics, cinema or other world events.  These people are otherwise known as pests.    

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ashland said:

Wow...Someone with the same "zero desire" we have....probably not many of us that feel this way. We're low key keep to ourselves cruiser's that after 43 yrs together and 25+ cruises still enjoy just being with each other when we cruise without the extended family.

If I end up chatting with someone at the bar or something, that's fine. I usually don't, but it's not a big deal. But I'm not going to get their number or email address, I'm not going to form a friendship, and I really don't plan to ever see them again. The idea of eating meals with strangers every night would immediately make me never want to cruise again (if it were the only option). Luckily, between the increase in two-top tables and our next-to-zero desire to eat in the MDR at all, my wife and I are pretty much able to just keep to ourselves and enjoy a couples vacation with minimal interruption.

I'm a very personable guy, and I like meeting and chatting with new people. But not on vacation. I travel for a living and don't get anywhere near as much time with my wife as I'd like, so I am going to use vacation as a chance to be with her and only her.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Pyrate13 said:

"P.S. I find it hilarious that some people think this is serious... "

I'm with you, but then again, I suspect they (the op) might be.

As I have read some of his posts in the past, pretty sure he's having fun with the fun-inpaired on the board...

19 hours ago, Ashland said:

Wow...Someone with the same "zero desire" we have....probably not many of us that feel this way. We're low key keep to ourselves cruiser's that after 43 yrs together and 25+ cruises still enjoy just being with each other when we cruise without the extended family.

Makes 3 of us.  I don't cruise to "meet and impress" strangers.  I vacation to relax, refresh, rejuvenate.  I have to make worthless banter all day long with guests at the hotel  (a Forbes standard is to act genuinely interested in a guest by asking questions), so I really don't want to continue that at a dinner table with strangers.   Forced dining with strangers is one of two big reasons I never cruised before the advent of dining alternatives (forced formal clothes was the other).   

Edited by slidergirl
  • Like 1

But,  seriously, away from the jocularity, we usually ask for (and get) a 'large' table, so the two of us can meet and chat with other guests. We eat across the table  from each other every other night of the year, so some new folk, from other parts of the world, to discuss the days cruise events with  is fun. We have rarely met anyone we actively disliked and have never had to ask to change tables. 

We have usually been seated with people of a similar age

We did  once  have a boastful couple on the table (they made the error of claiming to have "walked away with" the 5 o'clock trivia game  - We knew  this was a lie  as WE had won it) - they disappeared from the table  after a few days

We have made some lasting  friendships over dinner - We have a lovely lady in California who we chat regularly with, 6 years after our, (joint) cruise. Sadly her husband  who we also met and liked  immensely, died suddenly a few years ago.

On 4/9/2019 at 9:54 PM, need2cruisesoon said:

On our next cruise I am seriously thinking of getting a couple table tents printed with our names and where we are from.

Seems like when you share a table other people always ask "whats your names"? or "where are you from"?

So have you done this before? and might be a good segway for dinner conversation.

Thanks,

Unknown.jpeg

Seems pretty arrogant to me.

11 hours ago, K32682 said:

Many people do but a portion of them don't pick up on the cues that you aren't particularly interested in conversing.  There are overbearing, self-appointed social conveners who once introductions are done believe their mission is to generate a spirited and sparkling dinner conversation focusing largely on them.  There are also opinionated blowhards who want to subject you to their world view on politics, cinema or other world events.  These people are otherwise known as pests.    

I have a good friend who owns the largest circulating blog on the internet. He writes about politics,cinema and world events.I did a guest blog in 2011. I will not discuss my pollitical views on a cruise.

On 4/10/2019 at 7:12 PM, XBGuy said:

I do that too.

I also give mid-cruise and final exams to make sure that people retain the information.  It slows down dinner service, a bit.  So, I order an extra appetizer for myself while they are working on their exams.  My wife, of course, has most of the exams memorized.  So, she blasts through them pretty quickly and, usually, has time for an extra dinner roll.

I think exams are too formal - you should just issue random spot tests, follow them into the toilet, and

"Hi - We met in the dining room yesterday!"

"oh yeah - hi"

"Now - in order to pass, you need to tell me where  I was working in june 2013, and the name of my favourite playschool teacher"

• Haha 2

On 4/9/2019 at 9:54 PM, need2cruisesoon said:

Unknown.jpeg

There are many other uses for these clever name tags. They make ideal place holders for things such as deck chairs, front-row show seats, identification at bridge and trivia games. Very handy little tool.

• Haha 2

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 1:44 AM, SantaFeFan said:

Why stop there? Bring some self stick name tags and wear them at the table.

image.jpeg.1d206b71a51e1648c758dcef7fc36c41.jpeg

Or, have your names embroidered on your shirts. 

image.jpeg.7b6f0239b7a0e599ef4baef897161dee.jpeg

Seriously, if someone brought table tents with their names on them, my first impression would be that they were a bit egotistical. Just introduce yourselves on the first day and go from there. We have never had any problems at our tables without relying on the use of name badges. 

ROFL.  If we were being guided to a table with folks with name tags or little placards (with their names) in front of their plates we would quietly retire back to the main desk and ask for another table :).  For us, dining in the MDR is about socializing and we normally ask to share a large table.  Most folks do have the ability to speak (for those that are truly mute...a tag makes sense) and breaking the ice with introductions is a perfect way to start the social fun.   And by the way, although we believe that the OP's idea is well intended they have not thought through their idea.  Many folks, these days, would not want to use name tags (or placards) but would insist that everyone bring their phone to dinner and then everyone can text each other.  The skill of being able to socialize, face to face and using your mouth and ears, has been lost to a big segment of society.  In a sense it is easy to see that human evolution will leave us (in a few million years) with humans who have no ears or voice box.  But they will probably have at least 10 fingers so that they can better text.

Hank

• Like 1

On April 10, 2019 at 1:48 AM, Ashland said:

And don't forget to add your C&A level too and how many cruise's you've been on.:classic_biggrin:

I find it helps conversation to also include my CC screenname

22 hours ago, Sancho_proudfoot said:

You forgot  the rest of their  party:

Political  Pete, Entitled Ed and One-Up Olivia. 

What the devil happened to "let's all hold hands and say grace" Grace?

1 hour ago, CPT Trips said:

I find it helps conversation to also include my CC screenname

What the devil happened to "let's all hold hands and say grace" Grace?

One cruise we ended up with two couples who were very religious and did not drink alcohol of any kind. The first night they asked us and the other couple we were traveling with to not order drinks at our table. Of course we complied - NOT! The nerve of people with their own obsessions to dictate what others can and cannot enjoy at dinner. We moved to another table the next night, the only time we have ever needed to due to offensive table mates. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sailing canary said:

and might be a good segway for dinner conversation.

I'm very surprised these are allowed on board, not to mention in the MDR. Aren't they rather dangerous in enclosed spaces??

I think the poster just misspelled  segue.

On 4/10/2019 at 1:50 AM, sloopsailor said:

I bring a pile of bound biographies and pass them out when I meet people. They seem to appreciate them very much because they always have a great big grin on their faces when I hand them one. Obviously, they are giddy with excitement at receiving it!

I include a tshirt and a keychain with mine.  People love them.  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/10/2019 at 6:57 PM, SantaFeFan said:

For us it would be Chatty Cathy, her husband Macho Mark, and their kids, Squirmy Spencer and Crying Chrisie. AKA: table mates from hell.

The worse the tablemates, the better the stories.  

10 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Do you think they should add their religious affiliation, political party, height, weight, preferred pronoun, etc. to those name tags?

Hank

And hand out a complete list of all their children's accomplishments. Extra credit if they secretly paid someone to help them.  

Edited by SantaFeFan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

The worse the tablemates, the better the stories.  

The best one I have was when they demanded to be reassigned because they were the only people at the table staying in suites.  Apparently dining with the six balcony people at the table was beneath them.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AL3XCruise said:

The best one I have was when they demanded to be reassigned because they were the only people at the table staying in suites.  Apparently dining with the six balcony people at the table was beneath them.

One fella at my table was looking for his next ex-wife.

• Haha 1