Table Tent With Your Names in the MDR?

So, do we need a passport and should I use a T/A when booking one of these cruises where i might talk or not talk to anyone?  Plus what is the best way to sneak on booze and can I remove the daily service charge?  Finally, will I like the food while talking or not talking to my table mates.  Some one please help me to decide. 

Edited by TruckerDave

25 minutes ago, davekathy said:

If we were to sit a large table with others in the MDR we would not even think about writing our names on a card. :classic_rolleyes:

You don't write your names on a card; you have your names printed and then you have the cards laminated.

Hand written cards would be gauche.

Edited by DirtyDawg

8 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

You don't write your names on a card; you have your names printed and then you have the cards laminated.

Printed or hand written is gauche. Even laminated.  :classic_rolleyes:

Edited by davekathy

10 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

That is so last decade. We wear programmable, rechargeable, electronic name badges. Since it's programmable, we can also have it scroll "SCRAM. WE WANT TO DINE ALONE" when we are in that mood. 

Image result for electronic badge rechargeable

Edited by PTMary
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, PTMary said:

That is so last decade. This is what we wear. Since it's programmable, we can also have it scroll "SCRAM. WE WANT TO DINE ALONE" when we are in that mood. 

Image result for electronic badge rechargeable

Hey do you think this name tag would get the conversation going or clear the table?

LED.jpg

Edited by DirtyDawg

11 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Frogmarched?  

Please. The level of hyperbole on both sides is getting a bit crazy.

A cruise is an entirely voluntary vacation. I doubt whether folks would have continued to cruise, year on year, if the dining experience had been such a miserable one...

That said, I am very happy that the cruise lines have found a way to satisfy most when it comes to dining preferences. One can sit alone or with only one's party, or can share a table with others.

As a solo, I am one that enjoys sharing a table and a conversation with others at dinner, and I hope that this is not something that others are discouraged from participating in by the thought that the experience is awkward, unenjoyable or worse.  Since choices are now well established on most lines, those who do opt to share a table are generally those who enjoy it.

Frogmarched is apt during the era when there were practically no alternative dining options.  My first cruise in the early 90's featured set dining, no two tops, one small specialty restaurant.  Your choice was to tolerate whatever enthusiastic social convener or overbearing boor you were stuck with or asked to be moved risking the next table might even be worse. 

This was among the reasons I stopped cruising in 2004 only coming back to it after 13 years when the majority of companies dropped the phony "traditions" of set dining and made "formal" night an option instead of a strict requirement.

Today a table tent with the cruiser's names on it would be treated like a lighthouse on a rocky coast.  A power signal to stay away.

Edited by K32682

16 minutes ago, K32682 said:

Frogmarched is apt during the era when there were practically no alternative dining options.  ...

16 minutes ago, K32682 said:

Today a table tent with the cruiser's names on it would be treated like a lighthouse on a rocky coast.  A power signal to stay away.

“Frogmarched”, in this context, is the sort of  word which identifies the sort of conversationist whose presence one would appreciate having this warning beacon proclaim.

1 hour ago, K32682 said:

Frogmarched is apt during the era when there were practically no alternative dining options.  My first cruise in the early 90's featured set dining, no two tops, one small specialty restaurant.  Your choice was to tolerate whatever enthusiastic social convener or overbearing boor you were stuck with or asked to be moved risking the next table might even be worse. 

I realize we live in an era in which no mental molehill is so small that it cannot be made into a mountain, but at some point one has to inject reality and common sense.

"Frog-marched" is not apt. Julian Assange was frog-marched out of the Ecuadorian Embassy. There is no way that you were similarly treated, unless the maitre d' hotel and 4-5 waiters literally grabbed you and physically carried you into the dining room, forcing you to partake.

22 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I realize we live in an era in which no mental molehill is so small that it cannot be made into a mountain, but at some point one has to inject reality and common sense.

"Frog-marched" is not apt. Julian Assange was frog-marched out of the Ecuadorian Embassy. There is no way that you were similarly treated, unless the maitre d' hotel and 4-5 waiters literally grabbed you and physically carried you into the dining room, forcing you to partake.

It is a metaphor defined as "a figure of speech in which a word or phrase is applied to an object or action to which it is not literally applicable but helps explain a concept or make a comparison." 🙄

Edited by K32682

5 minutes ago, K32682 said:

It is a metaphor defined as "a figure of speech in which a word or phrase is applied to an object or action to which it is not literally applicable but helps explain a concept or make a comparison." 🙄

I suggest you familiarize yourself with the meanings, and usages, of words like “frogmarched” and “metaphor” before continuing to mis-use them.

• Like 1

My last on here:

I had fun with the original post - it showed fun to those of us who recognize the OP and gave a chuckle to us when people posted as if it were something real.   We then went onto the solo vs big tables.  I never said anything demeaning about people who prefer to share tables - I have always said "to each his/her own" and it is nice to have options.  BUT, some decided to demean and dump on those who prefer to dine without others.   And, it seems to be the usual suspects.   No one knows the circumstances  and the reasons people choose their dining.  Someone may have lost a loved one and did not want to have to be at a table with others, some may have just come back from a deployment or job where they were away from home for months at at time and want to just spend quality time together, some may have a severe anxiety about having to interact closely with strangers in a small setting, some may talk to strangers 10 hours a day and does not want to have a busman's holiday, but quiet time.  Some may have their entire family here and want to share.  Someone may telecommute to work everyday and decides to eat at a large table to have human contact that they don't get with work, someone may like to find out where others are from and what they do so they want a large table, some are naturally outgoing and want to share.   

To each his/her own..

I'm still bringing my sign to hang around my neck - it will work with anything I wear to the MDR (all, of course, within the dress suggestions) 😉

Edited by slidergirl
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, CruisenOne said:

Larry-Darryl1.jpg

Darryl, Darryl and Darryl  want name tents on their next cruise.

That is actually, left to right, Darryl, Darryl, and Larry. The quote associated with these three is "I'm Larry, this is my brother, Darryl, and this is my other brother, Darryl." From the US TV comedy Newhart, 1982-1990.

One of my favorite comedy routines. 

Edited by SantaFeFan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

That is actually Darryl, Darryl, and Larry, left to right. The quote you are referring to is "I'm Larry, this is my brother, Darryl, and this is my other brother, Darryl."

One of my favorite comedy routines. Mine also

Ooooops!!!!  Y'all got me --  Corrected

1 hour ago, SantaFeFan said:

That is actually, left to right, Darryl, Darryl, and Larry. The quote associated with these three is "I'm Larry, this is my brother, Darryl, and this is my other brother, Darryl." From the US TV comedy Newhart, 1982-1990.

One of my favorite comedy routines. 

And the best ending to a sitcom series ever.

14 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Occasionally I find myself at a table where the discussion is colleges everyone attended. I tell them that I went to a college in NYC that even though it opened in 1932 and is in Midtown Manhattan nobody even NYC residents has ever heard of.

OK, I'll bite. 😀😀  What college?   

15 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Occasionally I find myself at a table where the discussion is colleges everyone attended. I tell them that I went to a college in NYC that even though it opened in 1932 and is in Midtown Manhattan nobody even NYC residents has ever heard of.

Is it Berkeley - I used to walk past it almost every day on my way to Grand Central.

47 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Is it Berkeley - I used to walk past it almost every day on my way to Grand Central.

It is The Henry George School of Social Science.

49 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

It is The Henry George School of Social Science.

Great. 

Now let's guess where idubs  went to school.

He/she likes to bite........ so was it culinary school 

Edited by DirtyDawg