Taking wine aboard in luggage

56 minutes ago, Lindypops said:

I understand you can take 2 bottles of wine on embarkation.

I dont do a carry on bag just a small handbag.

if I pack 2 bottles in my luggage will  they be confiscated?

It is more likely that the scanner will notice the bottles, your bag will be flagged, it will be sent into a deep, dark hole in the bowels of the ship known as "the naughty room" and you will be waiting for your bag to be delivered, and it won't come.

You will have to descend into the bowels of the ship to "the naughty room", open your suitcase, show them that all you have are the two permitted bottles, and you will be allowed to take your suitcase and go on your merry way.

OR

If your suitcase is not locked, the security people may just rifle through all of your unmentionables and check your bottles, then either deliver your suitcase or make you pick it up.

My friend put them in a backpacks and he gives it to the porter. 

Scenario

1 or 2 will apply but you will have your luggage delivered since the bottle of wines are separated from it. 

1)You will have to descend into the bowels of the ship to "the naughty room", open your suitcase, show them that all you have are the two permitted bottles, and you will be allowed to take your suitcase and go on your merry way.

OR

2)If your suitcase is not locked, the security people may just rifle through all of your unmentionables and check your bottles, then either deliver your suitcase or make you pick it up.

so what is so hard about  using  the small cardboard carriers that  you get when purchasing  the wine as a carry on?  or buying a wine bottle carrier?  I have several from 1-4 bottles large.  or using a large backpack and putting both wine and handbag inside....

• Like 1

On my recent cruise I forgot to transfer my wine bottle from my suitcase to my carry on bag before embarkation.  That particular suitcase took much longer to reach our stateroom on Day 1, but it did eventually arrive after dinner and with wine bottle still intact and enclosed.

3 hours ago, spookwife said:

so what is so hard about  using  the small cardboard carriers that  you get when purchasing  the wine as a carry on?  or buying a wine bottle carrier?  I have several from 1-4 bottles large.  or using a large backpack and putting both wine and handbag inside....

I have a problem with my shoulder  and cannot carry anything in that hand or use a back pack . I need my  good hand  to hold on or hold my paperwork, that is what is so hard.

8 minutes ago, Lindypops said:

I have a problem with my shoulder  and cannot carry anything in that hand or use a back pack . I need my  good hand  to hold on or hold my paperwork, that is what is so hard.

Understood.  Two bottles of wine even in a small carry on roller bag still gets tiring dragging it around before cabins open.

A small piece of checked luggage apart from your main suit case is one idea but another suitcase to manage before checking.  

Policy states wine in carry on only so any time you check luggage with wine in it you run a risk they might confiscate the wine and return it to you at debarkation.

If I put two bottles of wine in my checked luggage and also bring two more in my carry on, will they have a way of knowing that I have more than two? Assuming this goes through, a visit to the naughty room is a small inconvenience to pay. We will be visiting the wine regions of Italy before boarding Jewel in Civitavecchia and I’m so tempted to try 😂🤣.

Edited by Nauty

2 hours ago, Nauty said:

If I put two bottles of wine in my checked luggage and also bring two more in my carry on, will they have a way of knowing that I have more than two? Assuming this goes through, a visit to the naughty room is a small inconvenience to pay. We will be visiting the wine regions of Italy before boarding Jewel in Civitavecchia and I’m so tempted to try 😂🤣.

At our US embarkation for a Caribbean cruise...DH and I each brought on 2 bottles of wine. It was Enchantment for a 5 night cruise? We figured that if we each checked in separately and went through security separately, how in the world would the security people know? You have to have two copies of all your boarding papers...and you have to let the people know that you are meeting at embarkation and therefore just checking in when you arrive. The person checking you in will ask if your spouse has their own copies of the paperwork needed. Worked.

If you are planning to put in checked luggage, possibly buy a wine container that will protect your clothes from the bottles breaking. That would be a mess.

If you aren't going solo, could someone else in your group use a backpack to carry-on??

On 4/15/2019 at 10:31 AM, Lindypops said:

Both the DH and I have rolling carry ons. One hand is free, nothing on my shoulder, and no back packs (detest those things that I get smacked with many times from other careless pax who don't watch where their backside is, especially when they turn around in an elevator).  

Each of us carries on one 750 bottle.  Not interested in having to collect our bags down in the naughty room, or worse yet...having the wine bottles break inside the suitcase.  😮 

Edited by island lady