MS Nieuw Statendam inaugural Eastbound Transatlantic

rafinmd

I will be flying to Fort Lauderdale Good Friday to board the Nieuw Statendam on Easter Sunday.  Two weeks later the Nieuw Statendam will have her first visit to her home country and I will be on board.  Sadly, that will be a bittersweet moment for me as I will both enjoy the moment but also the sadness of disembarking.  Come along with me on this journey.  It will be typical of my cruise reports and I’ll have menus and When and Where posted as well as likely additional photos on my companion blog:

http://getawaysfrom21044.wordpress.com.  

While I do fly I don’t like it.  Cunard’s next transatlantic is some time after my arrival in Amsterdam so I’ll be extending my time with them for a few days before returning home.  I have 2 days in Amsterdam and another 2 in Kiel before boarding Queen Victoria for a short 3-day cruise to Southampton (port:Skagen).  Next is a 5-day getaway on QM2 (2nd call to Zebrugge plus St. Peter Port) before my transatlantic starts (May 17-24).  When on a multi-line itinerary I tend to report the entire journey on a neutral forum but this time that will be on the Cunard forum as the Nieuw Statendam will be a sister to Cunard’s newest vessel.  That thread is:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2655034-qvqm2-kiel-to-new-york-with-a-holland-america-prelude/

Luggage Forward already has one of my bags at their Florida office.

Roy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Have a great trip. So glad you enjoyed your short visit to my city of Pittsburgh.  Loved the great pictures on your blog, especially of the Smithfield bridge.   We have done  that walk many times.  Also, our DD got engaged on the Smithfield bridge.  We also saw Come From Away this past weekend in Pittsburgh, but on Sunday.  It was our first time, and loved it!!  

• Like 1

On 4/17/2019 at 4:07 AM, swin26 said:

Have a great trip. So glad you enjoyed your short visit to my city of Pittsburgh.  Loved the great pictures on your blog, especially of the Smithfield bridge.   We have done  that walk many times.  Also, our DD got engaged on the Smithfield bridge.  We also saw Come From Away this past weekend in Pittsburgh, but on Sunday.  It was our first time, and loved it!!  

Thank you all. 

Swin26, I'm glad you got to see Come From Away and loved it, and also hope storms did not complicate your visit.  As my blog attests, I'm quite obsessed with the show and found that each of the casts has it's strengths.  I've always wanted to see the show in Canada but never found a convenient opportunity to do so.  Then I realized I will be visiting my family just south of Montreal this summer and it is only a couple of hours out of the way to go around by Toronto.  My number 5 will be early August.

Packing is well under way and I'm now checked in for my flight tomorrow.

Roy

We will be shadowing you, as we are on the 16 day TA to Copenhagen on Zuiderdam departing from Ft. Lauderdale the same day.  We have many of the same ports together.  Have a blast on your cruise and enjoy every moment! :classic_smile:

• Like 1

Have an incredible adventure Roy!  That will be a big change for you from the Elegant Explorer to the N.S.!  The one thing the Pinnacle ships have that Prinsendam lacks is the Grand Dutch Café.  Love that venue!

We fly out on Monday to Rome to board the Prinsendam.  Will catch up on your adventure after returning home.

Roy!!!

OMGoodness I had no idea you were leaving again on another magnificent cruise! I get to have my sunrise and sunsets from my Roy 😊👍👍👍👍

I know how much you really don’t like flying but it is such a small price to pay to get to travel as you do!! With all the research we have done with your help over the years next year for us with 3 cruises from San Diego over to a TA to Europe and a cruise in Europe no air fare except flying home!I am looking forward to your blog on NS and let me know how the promenade is with your walking ok?

Take pictures when you can of your room also!! 

Queen Victoria and QE2 looking forward to pictures and your reviews!

Take care my friend SMOOTH SAILINGS ON EASTER! 

HAPPY EASTER ROY AND GOD BLESS 

Denise😊

• Thanks 1

So far so good.  I’m currently through security at BWI and at the food court with a table overlooking my gate.  At 8:40 my flight shows on time with the incoming 5 minutes early so things should go pretty smoothly.

Oops!  Inbound still early but now departure delayed 1 1/4 hours.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
Update