What's standard in a room?

@JudiB123   This video should be pretty close to what yours will be like. First time cruisers are usually a bit surprised at just how tiny the rooms are. Cozy.  🙂    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut2il9uI3FA   While this is on deck it's pretty much the same on your deck as well.  Have fun, I love Oasis class ships!  Oh, and the safe is in the closet and the 'cooler' (because they don't really get as cold as a fridge would) is in the desk.   Pro tip--when you unpack your suitcases you should be able to slide them under the bed in order to not use up valuable floor space.  

Edited by rockmom
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, rockmom said:

@JudiB123   This video should be pretty close to what yours will be like. First time cruisers are usually a bit surprised at just how tiny the rooms are. Cozy.  🙂    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut2il9uI3FA   While this is on deck it's pretty much the same on your deck as well.  Have fun, I love Oasis class ships!  Oh, and the safe is in the closet and the 'cooler' (because they don't really get as cold as a fridge would) is in the desk.   Pro tip--when you unpack your suitcases you should be able to slide them under the bed in order to not use up valuable floor space.  

If they are too wide to fit, just open them up and try to fit that way. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Cooler does not get as cold as a fridge, though I read that the coolers on the newer ships do better.

Been on Monarch, Majesty, Navigator, Voyager, Oasis and Harmony. All of them had refrigerators in them, not coolers. They kept our bottled water ice cold. We've been on Viking Serenade twice but I don't really remember any type of cooler/fridge in the cabin.

4 minutes ago, rusty nut said:

Been on Monarch, Majesty, Navigator, Voyager, Oasis and Harmony. All of them had refrigerators in them, not coolers. They kept our bottled water ice cold. We've been on Viking Serenade twice but I don't really remember any type of cooler/fridge in the cabin.

We've also been on Monarch, Majesty, Navigator, and Voyager, and the coolers barely kept our beer cool.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The fridges are "dorm cube" style.  If yours is in a cabinet, try to keep the cabinet door ajar for better airflow.  Fridges need air to cool properly.  Of course, they are not like your home refrigerator....but they will keep drinks cold enough.  There is no freezer in them, tho.  You can request ice for your cabin, so that will chill your drinks nicely.

There are no microwaves for passenger use on any ship.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JudiB123 said:

Thank you! I tried googling my room (8543) and didnt find any specific to the room, but others probably similar. I appreciate the suggestion!

I found this for inside cabin 8133, which should be similar to 8543.  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Msm3yxUEc0M

IMO you have an excellent location for an inside cabin.  It’s close to the elevators.  But most important it is on the same deck as Central Park, which means you have quick access to the outside - Park Cafe, Giovanni’s, and several bars are at your fingertips.  There are also public restrooms on that deck.  In effect Central Park can be your outdoor “living room”.

• Like 1

^^ ditto - deck 8 is best location so you can send DH out for that morning cuppa and a few danish/muffins before you get up!

There are no kettles in the cabins.

Room service continental breakfast is free.  There will be a card for you to indicate your order and you hang it on  your cabin door before 2am.  Handy to use as wake up call as they call before they arrive.

There are no bathrobes.  Useful to know re ^ and the breakfast delivery.....

BathTowels are small, certainly no where near bathsheet size. 

If you value your hair take your own shampoo.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, rockmom said:

Thanks so much! After viewing, I wondered about where to put suitcases.

11 hours ago, 138east said:

I found this for inside cabin 8133, which should be similar to 8543.  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Msm3yxUEc0M

IMO you have an excellent location for an inside cabin.  It’s close to the elevators.  But most important it is on the same deck as Central Park, which means you have quick access to the outside - Park Cafe, Giovanni’s, and several bars are at your fingertips.  There are also public restrooms on that deck.  In effect Central Park can be your outdoor “living room”.

Thank you for deeper insight into our level! That sounds wonderful!... and that video really helps with perspective on storage.

10 hours ago, little britain said:

^^ ditto - deck 8 is best location so you can send DH out for that morning cuppa and a few danish/muffins before you get up!

There are no kettles in the cabins.

Room service continental breakfast is free.  There will be a card for you to indicate your order and you hang it on  your cabin door before 2am.  Handy to use as wake up call as they call before they arrive.

There are no bathrobes.  Useful to know re ^ and the breakfast delivery.....

BathTowels are small, certainly no where near bathsheet size. 

If you value your hair take your own shampoo.

Super! Great info. Thank you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/16/2019 at 4:25 PM, Host Clarea said:

Cooler does not get as cold as a fridge, though I read that the coolers on the newer ships do better.

The cooler/fridge is in a cabinet (at least in the cabins I've had), and if you leave the cabinet door ajar, it will help keep the fridge colder.  I should clarify that I read to do that, tried it and it seemed to work very well, but I didn't have any way to measure a before and after temp.  

• Like 2

And if you have hair longer than a couple inches you may want to bring your own hairdryer.    Also - walls are magnetic.  We always bring magnetic clips for pass cards and daily information/newsletters.    Helps to keep countertops less cluttered.   

Definitely bring your own shampoo/conditioner 

• Like 1

The problem with the units are, they are mounting in a closet/cubby with a door.  Any refrigeration unit is limited by the difference in temperature inside and outside the unit.  And it moves heat from inside to outside.  So the space in the cubby gets hot, leading to less capability for the inside to get cold.

So, if yours does not have a strap connecting the cubby door to the fridge door, if you prop open the cubby door, the fridge will get much cooler.

BTW, the thermoelectric coolers can get just as cold a standard compressor based system.

• Like 1

Also for someone new to cruising, be sure to find all the hidden cabinets.  At the desk area, there are usually cabinets behind the side mirrors.  Also cabinets in the bathroom behind the side mirrors.  It is also helpful to know that there are only a few plugs in your cabin but you cannot bring surge protector extension cords.  If you decide to bring extra plugs, make sure the staff can determine they are also not surge protectors or they will be confiscated and returned to you at the end of the cruise.

Enjoy your first cruise, you will get hooked.

Penny

10 hours ago, prodoc said:

It is also helpful to know that there are only a few plugs in your cabin but you cannot bring surge protector extension cords.  If you decide to bring extra plugs, make sure the staff can determine they are also not surge protectors or they will be confiscated and returned to you at the end of the cruise.

The rules have changed.  RCCL now prohibits ALL extension cords.

2 hours ago, SRF said:

The rules have changed.  RCCL now prohibits ALL extension cords.

What about a simple outlet expander 3 outlets plugging into one - no surge protector - like this?  Maximm Current Wall Tap (4-Pack) Easy Access With 3 Prong Outlet Cube Plug Adapter Expanding It Into 3 AC Outlets, Perfect For Travel, ETL Listed White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MTPYFM4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_o-iVCb0T640AF

On 4/17/2019 at 2:57 AM, Sancho_proudfoot said:

We have always found that standard cases have to be opened and slid under the bed. Three full sized cases slide under easily.

My suitcase alone is 28 inches in length and quite large and I never have to have it open to fit under the bed on any ship.  I guess  I have been luckier than you.  It is hard sided, so it doesn't squish down to fit either.  

1 hour ago, JudiB123 said:

What about a simple outlet expander 3 outlets plugging into one - no surge protector - like this?  Maximm Current Wall Tap (4-Pack) Easy Access With 3 Prong Outlet Cube Plug Adapter Expanding It Into 3 AC Outlets, Perfect For Travel, ETL Listed White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MTPYFM4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_o-iVCb0T640AF

I doubt that it would pass muster. Not sure about Oasis but on Anthem our balcony cabin had an outlet by the bed, two regular outlets on the vanity, one 220v outlet and two USB ports. There was also a low voltage outlet in the bathroom for a shaver.

2 hours ago, JudiB123 said:

Have to disagree with Sparks1093 on this one.  We have a very similar outlet expander (also has a couple of USB power ports) and have used it without a problem on our last 5-6 trips.  What you *CAN'T* use is anything with a surge suppressor.  And I can believe SRF's comment that they might confiscate actual extension cords.

Good reminder about extension cords themselves not being allowed.  I have used several outlet expanders without any problems in the past so I think JudiB123 the example you showed should be okay.  

Penny

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 4:39 PM, JudiB123 said:

Thanks so much! After viewing, I wondered about where to put suitcases.

If you have suitcases that can pancake into each other it is much easier to store them. Also if you plan on taking laptops and other valuables you will use often you will want one small LOCKABLE suitcase you both hide and access with ease.

As for hairdryers (if you use them) they will NOT work in the bathroom but only at the dressing table mirror. The plug in the bathroom is a "shaver only" type plug....no one has ever figured out why...LOL

On 4/17/2019 at 5:22 AM, JudiB123 said:

My husband and I are first time cruisers, and sailing on Oasis of the Seas this summer. Wondering what is standard in a room? A room safe,? Fridge? Microwave? Shampoo? Conditioner? Body soap? I cant seem to locate info on these among the FAQs. Thanks!

All the above except for the microwave. He fridge can be pretty rdinary Mrs Gutsays the hairdryers suck and takes her own