Formal nights

Vampiress88

On 4/29/2019 at 6:42 PM, Vampiress88 said:

Hubby has now bought a waistcoat 🤷‍♀️

He is of the thinking that he can take his jacket off and look half decent on the formal nights. I was under the impression that your not supposed to take the jacket off. 

That is my understanding and I have heard etiquette gurus stating that the reason is that it is unpleasant to see the effects of a sweating Male (damp patches & see through cotton) which would otherwise be hidden by a jacket. Said guru went on to say that of course one should have different weights of suits for different climates....as you do!  

Of course common sense should prevail and in very warm conditions.

11 hours ago, Ranchi said:

That is my understanding and I have heard etiquette gurus stating that the reason is that it is unpleasant to see the effects of a sweating Male (damp patches & see through cotton) which would otherwise be hidden by a jacket. Said guru went on to say that of course one should have different weights of suits for different climates....as you do!  

Of course common sense should prevail and in very warm conditions.

On Cunard I had to keep my jacket on every night.Not great,but no big deal with decent aircon,and we sailed across the Equator.Don't get much warmer than that,lol.

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, emam said:

So apart from the smell, how did you enjoy your cruise? Did you go to the formal nights?

Was good. Yes did go on formal nights. Also to the meridian a lot more than the buffet too. Have done a trip report although it’s a lot of waffle really

1 hour ago, Vampiress88 said:

Was good. Yes did go on formal nights. Also to the meridian a lot more than the buffet too. Have done a trip report although it’s a lot of waffle really

‘Well I for one  thoroughly enjoyed you waffle! 👍. Excellent review, thank you.

Les.

On 4/30/2019 at 4:27 AM, AndyMichelle said:

I wasn't aware of this until recently and thought it more sense to take my jacket off to sit for dinner, but apparently not. Nobody corrected me, so it can't have bothered anybody too much.

Still had my pint of Peroni with dinner.. My holiday, my way.

Andy

Guzzled straight out of the can I trust, none of this glass business, even in the MDR.

As for jackets removed in the MDR on formal night, done it several times in the tropics on P&O UK, makes sense.  I am truly glad they got rid of that 'jacket night'  in between casual and formal.

T shirt.jpg

Edited by NSWP

6 hours ago, NSWP said:

Guzzled straight out of the can I trust, none of this glass business, even in the MDR.

As for jackets removed in the MDR on formal night, done it several times in the tropics on P&O UK, makes sense.  I am truly glad they got rid of that 'jacket night'  in between casual and formal.

T shirt.jpg

Just out of interest would you prefer them to do away with the formal nights so you can do your own thing,or do you believe the formal nights makes p&o a bit different from the rest in the price range.

13 hours ago, NSWP said:

T shirt.jpg

No, I am civilised enough to use a glass, even with my jacket off.

I just enjoy a beer with my dinner.

Andy

11 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

No, I am civilised enough to use a glass, even with my jacket off.

I just enjoy a beer with my dinner.

Andy

Andy old chap, you are a man of style.  

18 minutes ago, docco said:

But for some, the sight of a beer glass on a table will be far more offensive than the sight of someone dressed in smart casual clothes that don't conform with the dark suit rule!

Formal nights and beer glasses don't sit comfortably together.

That’s your opinion docco as long as your dressed appropriately for the evening what you drink does not come into it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

That’s your opinion docco as long as your dressed appropriately for the evening what you drink does not come into it.

It's all opinions, isn't it. You have your views, and I mine. If it's a matter of creating a particular formal, dressy, atmosphere what's on the table is as important as what's sitting at it. Poor table manners are just as bad, and no amount of dressy clothes can cover those over!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, docco said:

It's all opinions, isn't it. You have your views, and I mine. If it's a matter of creating a particular formal, dressy, atmosphere what's on the table is as important as what's sitting at it. Poor table manners are just as bad, and no amount of dressy clothes can cover those over!

Totally agree with you about behaviour but that was not your original comment which I responded to.

Oh my. This just seems to get worse every time I look at this thread. 

A pint glass ? Really 

I dress up as per requirements 

manage somehow to control my young kids and they do there table manners as well as they can really

but shock horror I had a COKE with my dinner which is probably bad but I don’t do wine or beer I only stretch to cocktail sometimes and wait I had it in a PINT GLASS

for goodness sakes people can’t win. 

Dressing up fair enough that’s a requirement in certain places and it clearly states. No where does it say anything about what you drink. 

Sorry but I now find that ridiculous and to be honest pretentious

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

.....manage somehow to control my young kids and they do there table manners as well as they can really.....

.......Sorry but I now find that ridiculous and to be honest pretentious.........

You're right, of course.  But the whole formal thing is pretentious. I was just pointing out that everybody has different expectations of what is 'right' and 'correct'.  Some people measure it in clothes, others in manners, some in accents, some in how people eat and others doubtless in other ways.

The fact that you manage to teach your children to eat with you and behave nicely does you great credit - as witnessed by all those nice comments you had. Well behaved children are a delight, and if they're eating with you in the MDR that's great - bet they had fun. Ours used to love it!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

A pint glass ? Really 

manage somehow to control my young kids and they do there table manners as well as they can really

but shock horror I had a COKE with my dinner which is probably bad but I don’t do wine or beer I only stretch to cocktail sometimes and wait I had it in a PINT GLASS

Dressing up fair enough that’s a requirement in certain places and it clearly states. No where does it say anything about what you drink. 

I agree, I've been catching up on the P&O dress comments to see what's changed, not much really, same old arguments, same old views.

However, having re-read the P&O FAQ's "Does the dress code apply to all areas of the ship?" (and that's what I consider accurate not passengers experiences, expectations nor desires) it would seem that many areas of Britannia are available to those not in Black Tie on formal nights.

"The following venues are exclusively Black Tie venues when Black Tie is the Dress Code of the ship. Britannia: The Crow’s Nest, The Epicurean, Meridian, Peninsular, Oriental, Sindhu and The Glass House restaurants." So that's 1 bar and all table service restaurants except for the Limelight Club and the Beach House.

So after 6pm on formal nights if you dress as the prescribed Evening Casual attire you can still enjoy all the other venues on the ship.

Evening Casual

"Stylish resort or leisurewear is ideal for Evening Casual nights, for example casual separates or dresses for ladies and open-neck polo shirts and casual long trousers (not shorts or 3/4 length trousers) for men. A jacket and smart trousers can be worn but are not compulsory. T-shirts are also acceptable but should not have any offensive symbols or language on them. Smart dark denim is also fine, but not trainers, football shirts or tracksuits."

So as long as you don't wear the following you're OK to enjoy the various other venues on the ship.

"Please wear the appropriate attire to the ship’s bars and restaurants; blue or worn denim, sandals (for men), sleeveless tops (for men), flip flops and shorts are not permitted in ship's public areas during the evening."

47 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

A pint glass ? Really 

Well said.

People are advocating wearing jeans but are offended by my pint of lager....

Its not any old lager, it's a posh one...

On Aurora in December, we were seated on a table with potentially pretentious people who are far more refined than I am. At first they did not seem too impressed, but as they got to know us and realised I am not a thug but a nice guy with standards who just enjoys a beer with his dinner, they accepted that and we have became great friends.

I think we all just end up arguing for the sake of it as some posters are contradicting themselves on many occasions.

Within reason, enjoy your holiday your way.

Andy

• Like 1

Dressing up nice never really bothered me. It’s for me the photos on the p&o website that’s for a different generation so doesn’t give me a good idea of what do wear and I hate dresses cos don’t look good in them would probably think differently if I did. 

But it was fun dressing up. We never do it and it’s was nice. We looked good. We got dressed pretty early sometimes though so looked like right planks walking the lido deck to get some grub for the kids before shows etc 

but it never really bothered me. Just didn’t wanna be stuck out like a sore thumb and there were lots of people more dressed down than me so I felt ok with my choices. I know we are all judgmental of some things. I don’t agree with iPads at tables for the kids etc. I tried very hard to have a iPad free week as much as I could. Surprisingly they only watched it a few times in the room. When we were getting ready or when I was poorly etc and I do judge that one family that I saw had the kid on the iPad all dinner. I can even understand the iPad the waiting bit before but not during the actual meal. But clothes and drinks in certain glasses. I don’t get all that it’s not something worth getting bothered for. 

I think if people are behaving, manners and respectful then that’s good. Unfortunately in real life I find far too many people not behaving nicely so to me those are of far more importance than old world cruise views.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Well said.

People are advocating wearing jeans but are offended by my pint of lager....

Its not any old lager, it's a posh one...

On Aurora in December, we were seated on a table with potentially pretentious people who are far more refined than I am. At first they did not seem too impressed, but as they got to know us and realised I am not a thug but a nice guy with standards who just enjoys a beer with his dinner, they accepted that and we have became great friends.

I think we all just end up arguing for the sake of it as some posters are contradicting themselves on many occasions.

Within reason, enjoy your holiday your way.

Andy

Posh lager is that’s the one with lime in it or black currant,real ale my friend you can never go wrong with real ale in a nice glass obviously and with a nice head.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Dressing up nice never really bothered me. It’s for me the photos on the p&o website that’s for a different generation so doesn’t give me a good idea of what do wear and I hate dresses cos don’t look good in them would probably think differently if I did. 

But it was fun dressing up. We never do it and it’s was nice. We looked good. We got dressed pretty early sometimes though so looked like right planks walking the lido deck to get some grub for the kids before shows etc 

but it never really bothered me. Just didn’t wanna be stuck out like a sore thumb and there were lots of people more dressed down than me so I felt ok with my choices. I know we are all judgmental of some things. I don’t agree with iPads at tables for the kids etc. I tried very hard to have a iPad free week as much as I could. Surprisingly they only watched it a few times in the room. When we were getting ready or when I was poorly etc and I do judge that one family that I saw had the kid on the iPad all dinner. I can even understand the iPad the waiting bit before but not during the actual meal. But clothes and drinks in certain glasses. I don’t get all that it’s not something worth getting bothered for. 

I think if people are behaving, manners and respectful then that’s good. Unfortunately in real life I find far too many people not behaving nicely so to me those are of far more importance than old world cruise views.  

With you all the way on bringing up the kids.  I'd hazard a guess that you weren't one of those mums that you see out with the kids, completely ignoring them while you chat on a mobile?

Just now, docco said:

With you all the way on bringing up the kids.  I'd hazard a guess that you weren't one of those mums that you see out with the kids, completely ignoring them while you chat on a mobile?

Try very hard not to. Usually when my phone is out with the kids it cos I’m taking pictures of them which unfortunately I’m not very good at either. I wanted to take more pictures of the dining room and my food whist on the boat but felt awful for doing it. Managed to sneak a few when it’s quiet. Everyone has to take calls but I try not to be clued to my phone when out or at dinner table. 

I do find I am awful for picking my phone up inside the house though. But the kids are currently ignoring me as I am apparently too big to fit in their den down the side of the sofa so instead I am making my Disney itinerary whist they are occupied and getting along as this peace won’t last. 

An shockingly in two weeks I will be living in trainers and t-shirts. There won’t be a suit dress or even proper shoes in my suitcase. 

1 hour ago, Bazrat said:

Posh lager is that’s the one with lime in it or black currant,real ale my friend you can never go wrong with real ale in a nice glass obviously and with a nice head.

I'll drink to that 🍺 😉

Edited by P-L-B