Aft balcony, did I do the right thing?

Mountaineer0313

6 minutes ago, Mountaineer0313 said:

Just switched from cabin 8159 on Millennium for Alaska 2020, to cabin 7203, which is an aft balcony looking out off the back of the ship. It was a decent bit more expensive, but it was the last one left and I really wanted it. Did I make a wise choice?

Absolutely, in Alaska if you intend to use your balcony for the sightseeing it is great to be able to see both sides of the ship.   There may be sights on one side that you won't see without the ability to see both sides particularly things  such as wildlife.  It may be there going one way but not when coming back. 

Edited by dkjretired
  • Like 1

Great! I saw that the cabin was open and jumped on it without much thought, but it was also the only one left. I've been reading that there's less wind back there, which I think will be nice for Alaska in case it's chilly. And the fact that balcony is so much bigger is a big plus.

I had that cabin on Infinity in Alaska 15 years ago.  It was perfect for Alaska.  We had 2 lounge chairs with wool blankets in addition to the other deck furniture (I don't remember if the lounge chairs were there or we asked for them).  It was cool out and I had a cold for most of the cruise so I just wrapped myself in blankets, laid on a lounge chair, and let the beautiful scenery float by.  Have a wonderful cruise. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mountaineer0313 said:

Just switched from cabin 8159 on Millennium for Alaska 2020, to cabin 7203, which is an aft balcony looking out off the back of the ship. It was a decent bit more expensive, but it was the last one left and I really wanted it. Did I make a wise choice?

You are ruined.  I say RUINED for any other cabin but aft facing.

i changed our cabin to aft facing for Hubs first cruise ever (Alaska too).  If I want to do a cruise, I simply find an aft facing balcony cabin and he says yes.  If I try to book something else, he almost whimpers about it.

we are going to Bermuda in a Summit aft facing Accessible cabin.  

The BEST thing about an Aft Facing Cabin in Alaska?  You see everything on both sides of the ship.....and you don’t want to miss anything.

20 minutes ago, Donut23 said:

You are ruined.  I say RUINED for any other cabin but aft facing.

i changed our cabin to aft facing for Hubs first cruise ever (Alaska too).  If I want to do a cruise, I simply find an aft facing balcony cabin and he says yes.  If I try to book something else, he almost whimpers about it.

we are going to Bermuda in a Summit aft facing Accessible cabin.  

The BEST thing about an Aft Facing Cabin in Alaska?  You see everything on both sides of the ship.....and you don’t want to miss anything.

I’ve decided I’m not telling him I switched it. I’m just going to wait til we get in the room. We had a regular balcony cabin last year to Alaska and we spent so much time out there. Breakfast every morning, leaving port, we sat for hours with the binoculars. I can’t wait. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mountaineer0313 said:

I’ve decided I’m not telling him I switched it. I’m just going to wait til we get in the room. We had a regular balcony cabin last year to Alaska and we spent so much time out there. Breakfast every morning, leaving port, we sat for hours with the binoculars. I can’t wait. 

Im handicapped and tire easily.  We generally spend the morning together and then Hubs is off ashore for the afternoon.  If I’m too tired, I stay and nap on the balcony.  

I actually slept on the balcony on our Southern Caribbean Cruise!

wait until you see his eyes when he sees his balcony!

im telling you.  You will be ruined for standard balconies.

have a fabulous trip!

9 minutes ago, Donut23 said:

Im handicapped and tire easily.  We generally spend the morning together and then Hubs is off ashore for the afternoon.  If I’m too tired, I stay and nap on the balcony.  

I actually slept on the balcony on our Southern Caribbean Cruise!

wait until you see his eyes when he sees his balcony!

im telling you.  You will be ruined for standard balconies.

have a fabulous trip!

When I was looking at Celebrity’s website, there were no aft facing balconies except for the accessible ones, which I obviously wasn’t going to take. But then I went to Costco’s travel site and they had one left. Bought a Costco membership and booked it. I think he’ll love it. We so loved Alaska last year, I couldn’t wait to get back. We have Canada/New England this September to get through first, but not on an aft balcony

1 hour ago, Mountaineer0313 said:

When I was looking at Celebrity’s website, there were no aft facing balconies except for the accessible ones, which I obviously wasn’t going to take. But then I went to Costco’s travel site and they had one left. Bought a Costco membership and booked it. I think he’ll love it. We so loved Alaska last year, I couldn’t wait to get back. We have Canada/New England this September to get through first, but not on an aft balcony

Just spoke with Hubs.  As soon as he heard Alaska and aft facing he was sure you will have a great time.

we used to play ....spot the whale.  We would look for the water expelled when they came to the surface to take a breath.  I was lucky and often spotted them first.

the balcony is a wonderful place to end the day AND .... you have great protection from the elements.  

On your side balcony you are subject to wind, rain and salt spray.  Aft, you often miss these.

we were on a Canada/New England cruise on Royal’s Serenade Of The Seas enjoying our balcony each night.  They sent a notice that people on balconies were to remain inside because of the high winds.  We didn’t even notice!

We've just used the change of promotion (free gratuities) to upgrade from sweet 16 to aft on Connie for Dubai - Singapore.  Judging by the above comments, we've done the right thing :-)

15 hours ago, Mountaineer0313 said:

We had an aft balcony on the NCL Sun for our Alaska cruise.  It was great.  Sorry you don't get to see Glacier Bay, since X doesn't go there.

26 minutes ago, Laurab23 said:

What about the 5 Aqua afts? The are pretty nice too.

Laura

We looked at those, but saw they were under the Roof Top Terrace with the movie screen. How is the noise factor during the day and evening on the balcony and in the room?

18 hours ago, Mountaineer0313 said:

I’ve decided I’m not telling him I switched it. I’m just going to wait til we get in the room. 

OMG, that is awesome!  What a fabulous surprise!

We enjoyed our aft balcony on the Summit...... ☺️

• Like 1

Aft balcony is a great choice for an Alaska cruise.  I generally avoid them as there is more motion in the far aft or foreword cabins, if there is motion to be felt.  But in Alaska that is rarely an issue and the views are so much better back there!  Enjoy!

3 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We looked at those, but saw they were under the Roof Top Terrace with the movie screen. How is the noise factor during the day and evening on the balcony and in the room?

We never heard anything in the room and sometimes very faintly from the balcony. I never found it to be an issue. However I have read that some people on those rooms thought they were noisy. We'll be in 1140 on Summit the May 12 cruise. We love those back 5 cabins and the stairway right down to the bar makes it very handy.

Laura

• Like 1